Elm Avenue, WD19

Road in/near Carpenders Park

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.63887 -0.38055) 

Elm Avenue, WD19

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Road · Carpenders Park · WD19 ·
MAY
5
2017

Elm Avenue is a road in the WD19 postcode area




NEARBY STREETS
Bucks Avenue, WD1 Bucks Avenue is a road in the WD1 postcode area
Bucks Avenue, WD19 Bucks Avenue is a road in the WD19 postcode area
Eley Place, WD19 A street within the WD19 postcode
Field End Close, WD19 Field End Close is a road in the WD19 postcode area
Field End Mews, WD19 A street within the WD19 postcode
Firbank Drive, WD19 Firbank Drive is a road in the WD19 postcode area
Heath Road, WD19 Heath Road is a road in the WD19 postcode area
Laurel Close, WD19 Laurel Close is a road in the WD19 postcode area
Lime Close, WD19 Lime Close is a road in the WD19 postcode area
Lowson Grove, WD19 Lowson Grove is a road in the WD19 postcode area
Maxwell Rise, WD19 Maxwell Rise is a road in the WD19 postcode area
Merryhill Greenway, WD19 Merryhill Greenway is a road in the WD19 postcode area
Oxhey Avenue, WD19 Oxhey Avenue is a road in the WD19 postcode area
Pinner Road, WD19 Pinner Road is a road in the WD19 postcode area
Sheridan Road, WD19 Sheridan Road is a road in the WD19 postcode area
Sherwoods Road, WD19 Sherwoods Road is a road in the WD19 postcode area
Talbot Avenue, WD19 Talbot Avenue is a road in the WD19 postcode area
Upper Paddock Road, WD19 Upper Paddock Road is a road in the WD19 postcode area
Vera Court, WD19 Vera Court is a road in the WD19 postcode area
Watford Heath Farm, WD19 A street within the WD19 postcode
Watford Heath, WD19 Watford Heath is a road in the WD19 postcode area
Wilcot Avenue, WD19 Wilcot Avenue is a road in the WD19 postcode area
Wilcot Close, WD19 A street within the WD19 postcode


Queen’s Park

Queen’s Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.

The north of Queen’s Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen’s Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen’s Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen’s Park ’proper’ formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen’s Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.

Queen’s Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett’s wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen’s Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queen’s Park are a conservation area.

There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.

Queen’s Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.

Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen’s Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen’s Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Silverdale Road
TUM image id: 1595160807
Print-friendly version of this page