Abbey Place, WC1H Abbey Place was in the centre of Bloomsbury, off what was originally the west side of Little Coram Street and directly behind the Russell Institution on Great Coram Street. Acton Street, WC1X Acton Street is found on the east side of Gray’s Inn Road and connects it with King’s Cross Road. Albion Yard, E1 Albion Yard is one of the streets of London in the E1 postal area. Ampton Street, WC1X Ampton Street was named after its builder, the 3rd Lord Calthorpe who owned land at Ampton, Suffolk. Argyle Street, WC1H Argyle Street, originally Manchester Street, was named after the former Argyle House. Balfe Street, N1 Balfe Street is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area. Bedford Square, WC1B Bedford Square was designed as a unified architectural composition in 1775-6 by Thomas Leverton. Bedford Way, WC1H Bedford Way is one of the streets of London in the WC1H postal area. Bemerton Street, N1 Bemerton Street is a street of terraced houses to the west of the Caledonian Road. Bloomsbury Square, WC1A The 4th Earl of Southampton was granted a building license for the construction of Bloomsbury Square in 1661. Bloomsbury Street, WC1A Bloomsbury Street runs from Gower Street in the north to the junction of New Oxford Street and Shaftesbury Avenue in the south. Bow Street, WC2E Bow Street is one of the streets of London in the WC2E postal area. Bridge Wharf, N1 Bridge Wharf is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area. Broad Court, WC2B Broad Court is one of the streets of London in the WC2B postal area. Bury Place, WC1A Bury Place is one of the streets of London in the WC1A postal area. Clare Court, WC1H Clare Court is one of the streets of London in the WC1H postal area. Colonnade, WC1N Colonnade is one of the streets of London in the WC1N postal area. Cosmo Place, WC1N Cosmo Place is one of the streets of London in the WC1N postal area. Crinan Street, N1 Crinan Street is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area. Cromer Street, WC1H Cromer Street originally gave access from Gray’s Inn Road to Greenland Place and a bowling green. Dane Street, WC1R Dane Street is one of the streets of London in the WC1R postal area. Derby Lodge, WC1X Derby Lodge is one of the streets of London in the WC1X postal area. Drury Lane, WC2B Drury Lane is one of the streets of London in the WC2B postal area. Dukes Road, WC1H Dukes Road is one of the streets of London in the WC1H postal area. Edward Square, N1 Edward Square is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area. Endell Street, WC2H Endell Street, originally known as Belton Street, is a street that runs from High Holborn in the north to Long Acre and Bow Street in the south. Euston Road, N1 The easternmost section of the Euston Road lies in the N1 postcode and runs along the facade of Kings Cross Station. Excel Court, WC2H Excel Court is one of the streets of London in the WC2H postal area. Galen Place, WC1A Galen Place is one of the streets of London in the WC1A postal area. Gate Street, WC2A Gate Street is one of the streets of London in the WC2A postal area. Gordon Square, WC1H The completion of Thomas Cubitt’s Gordon Square in 1860 marked the final development of Bloomsbury. Great Russell Street, WC1A Great Russell Street commemorates the marriage of the daughter of the 4th Earl of Southampton to William Russell in 1669. Heathcote Street, WC1N Heathcote Street is in the north-east corner of the Foundling Hospital estate, leading from St George’s Gardens to Gray’s Inn Road. Herbrand Street, WC1N Herbrand Street is in the east of Bloomsbury, running south from Tavistock Place to Guilford Street. High Holborn, WC1V High Holborn was part of the old road from Newgate and the Tower to the gallows at Tyburn. High Holborn, WC2B High Holborn is a road which is the highest point in the City of London - 22 metres above sea level. Hog Lane, WC2H Hog Lane was a lane that went from St Giles’ leper hospital (set up in the 12th century) to the monument to Eleanor at Charing Cross. Judd Street, WC1H Judd Street is one of the streets of London in the WC1H postal area. Kean Street, WC2B Kean Street is one of the streets of London in the WC2B postal area. Keppel Street, WC1E Keppel Street links Store Street and Gower Street in the west to Malet Street in the east. Kingsway, WC2B Kingsway is one of the streets of London in the WC2B postal area. Lincoln’s Inn Fields, WC2A Lincoln’s Inn Fields is the largest public square in London, laid out in the 1630s under the initiative of the speculative builder William Newton. Lion Court, WC1V Lion Court is one of the streets of London in the WC1V postal area. Little Guildford Street Little Guildford Street was the middle part of what is now Herbrand Street, between Great Coram Street and Bernard Street, on the western edge of the Foundling estate. Long Yard, WC1N Long Yard is one of the streets of London in the WC1N postal area. Malet Street, WC1E Sir Edward Malet was married to Lady Ermyntrude Sackville Russell, daughter of Francis Russell who owned much of the surrounding area. Manette Street, W1D Manette Street in Soho is named after the character from Dickens’ A Tale of Two Cities. Museum Street, WC1A Museum Street is so-named since it approaches the main entrance of the British Museum. Neal Street, WC2H Neal Street is one of the streets of London in the WC2H postal area. Neals Yard, WC1N Neals Yard is one of the streets of London in the WC1N postal area. Neals Yard, WC2H Neals Yard is one of the streets of London in the WC2H postal area. Odhams Walk, WC2H Odhams Walk is one of the streets of London in the WC2H postal area. Orange Street, WC1R Orange Street disappeared from the map to be replaced by St Martin’s College of Art (now Central Saint Martins). Parker Mews, WC2B Parker Mews is one of the streets of London in the WC2B postal area. Randells Road, N1 Randells Road is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area. Regent Square, WC1H Regent Square was laid out from 1822, with houses being built up to circa 1829. Regents Wharf, N1 Regents Wharf is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area. Russell Square, WC1B Russell Square was laid out from 1800 by James Burton following the demolition of Bedford House, which originally stood on the site surrounded by gardens and fields. Sardinia Street, WC2B Sardinia Street, formerly Duke Street, was a street that ran from Prince’s Street in the south to the western side of Lincoln’s Inn Fields in the north. Shaftesbury Avenue, WC2H Shaftesbury Avenue was named after Anthony Ashley Cooper, 7th Earl of Shaftesbury, Victorian politician and philanthropist. Sicilian Avenue, WC1A Sicilian Avenue is a shopping parade that diagonally runs in between Southampton Row and Bloomsbury Way. Tavistock Square, WC1H Tavistock Square was built by property developer James Burton and the master builder Thomas Cubitt for Francis Russell, 5th Duke of Bedford. The Arcade, WC2B The Arcade is one of the streets of London in the WC2B postal area. Torrington Square, WC1H Torrington Square was originally laid out as part of the Bedford Estate development in 1821-25, named after the father-in-law of the 6th Duke of Bedford. Wild Street, WC2B Wild Street is one of the streets of London in the WC2B postal area. Woburn Mews, WC1H Woburn Mews ran parallel between Woburn Place and Upper Bedford Place to the west of Woburn Place. Woburn Place, WC1H Woburn Place is situated on the Bedford estate, running north from the east of Russell Square to the east of Tavistock Square. Wollstonecraft Street, N1C Wollstonecraft Street was the first name to be chosen from a naming competition by the developers of N1C. York Way, N1 York Way has been a thoroughfare since the twelfth century.
Bloomsbury is an area of the London Borough of Camden, in central London, between Euston Road and Holborn, developed by the Russell family in the 17th and 18th centuries into a fashionable residential area.
The earliest record of what would become Bloomsbury is the 1086 Domesday Book, which records that the area had vineyards and 'wood for 100 pigs'. But it is not until 1201 that the name Bloomsbury is first noted, when William de Blemond, a Norman landowner, acquired the land.
The name Bloomsbury is a development from Blemondisberi
– the bury, or manor, of Blemond. An 1878 publication, Old and New London: Volume 4, mentions the idea that the area was named after a village called Lomesbury
which formerly stood where Bloomsbury Square
is now, though this piece of folk etymology is now discredited.
At the end of the 14th century Edward III acquired Blemond's manor, and passed it on to the Carthusian monks of the London Charterhouse, who kept the area mostly rural.
In the 16th century, with the Dissolution of the Monasteries, Henry VIII took the land back into the possession of the Crown, and granted it to Thomas Wriothesley, 1st Earl of Southampton.
In the early 1660s, the Earl of Southampton constructed what eventually became Bloomsbury Square
. The area was laid out mainly in the 18th century, largely by landowners such as Wriothesley Russell, 3rd Duke of Bedford, who built Bloomsbury Market, which opened in 1730. The major development of the squares that we see today started in about 1800 when Francis Russell, 5th Duke of Bedford removed Bedford House and developed the land to the north with Russell Square
as its centrepiece.
Historically, Bloomsbury is associated with the arts, education, and medicine. The area gives its name to the Bloomsbury Group of artists, the most famous of whom was Virginia Woolf, who met in private homes in the area in the early 1900s, and to the lesser known Bloomsbury Gang of Whigs formed in 1765 by John Russell, 4th Duke of Bedford.
The publisher Faber & Faber used to be located in Queen Square
, though at the time T. S. Eliot was editor the offices were in Tavistock Square
. The Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood was founded in John Millais's parents' house on Gower Street in 1848.
The Bloomsbury Festival was launched in 2006 when local resident Roma Backhouse was commissioned to mark the re-opening of the Brunswick Centre
, a residential and shopping area. The free festival is a celebration of the local area, partnering with galleries, libraries and museums, and achieved charitable status at the end of 2012.