The Greyhound

Pub/bar in/near Hendon, existing between 1794 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  ·  MAPS  ·  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.59135 -0.22796, 51.591 -0.227) 
MAP YEAR:175018001810182018301860190019502022Show map without markers
ZOOM:14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 18 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 18
TIP: Adjust the MAP YEAR and ZOOM to tweak historical maps
Pub/bar · Hendon · NW4 ·
July
13
2022

The Greyhound Inn is a traditional pub and is part of the old village of Hendon.

Originally built in 1676, the building was at first the Church House where parish meetings took place. But it also
secured a licence to serve alcohol. It was still being used until 1878 for vestry meetings.

The Greyhound Inn has been known as such since at least 1794. In 1896 the original weatherboard building was replaced by the one that exists today. The inn is still owned by a trust of St Mary’s and it has the church’s Commandment boards hanging in one of the
bars.

A plaque inside the pub commemorates the very first greyhound meeting which was supposedly held in Hendon in 1876, a separate event from the earlier naming of the pub.


Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence


Click here to explore another London street
We now have 505 completed street histories and 46995 partial histories
Find streets or residential blocks within the M25 by clicking STREETS


CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE LOCALITY

Comment
Martina   
Added: 13 Jul 2017 21:22 GMT   

Schweppes factory
The site is now a car shop and Angels Fancy Dress shop and various bread factories are there.

Reply

Brian Lynch   
Added: 10 Apr 2022 13:38 GMT   

Staples Mattress Factory
An architect’s design of the Staples Mattress Factory
An image found on the website of Dalzell’s Beds, in Armagh Northern Ireland.

Reply

LATEST LONDON-WIDE CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE PROJECT

Lived here
Julie   
Added: 22 Sep 2022 18:30 GMT   

Well Walk, NW3 (1817 - 1818)
The home of Benthy, the Postman, with whom poet John Keats and his brother Tom lodged from early 1817 to Dec., 1818. They occupied the first floor up. Here Tom died Dec. 1, 1818. It was next door to the Welles Tavern then called ’The Green Man’."

From collected papers and photos re: No. 1 Well Walk at the library of Harvard University.

Source: No. 1, Well Walk, Hampstead. | HOLLIS for

Reply
Comment
   
Added: 4 Sep 2022 15:42 GMT   

Superman 2
I worked here in 1977. The scene in the prison laundry in Superman 2 was filmed here.

Reply

TUM   
Added: 27 Aug 2022 10:22 GMT   

The Underground Map
Michael Faraday successfully demonstrated the first electrical transformer at the Royal Institute, London.

Reply

Admin   
Added: 26 Aug 2022 15:19 GMT   

Bus makes a leap
A number 78 double-decker bus driven by Albert Gunter was forced to jump an accidentally opening Tower Bridge.

He was awarded a £10 bonus.

Reply

Admin   
Added: 26 Aug 2022 12:44 GMT   

The world’s first underground train
The very first underground train left Paddington on the new Metropolitan Railway bound for Farringdon Street.

Reply

Admin   
Added: 26 Aug 2022 12:41 GMT   

Baker Street
Baker Street station opened on the Metropolitan Railway - the world’s first underground line.

Reply

Admin   
Added: 26 Aug 2022 12:17 GMT   

TV comes to Olympia
Over 7000 people queued to see the first high definition television pictures on sets at the Olympia Radio Show. The pictures were transmitted by the BBC from Alexandra Palace, introduced by Leslie Mitchell, their first announcer.

Reply
Lived here
Katharina Logan   
Added: 9 Aug 2022 19:01 GMT   

Ely place existed in name in 1857
On 7th July 1857 John James Chase and Mary Ann Weekes were married at St John the Baptist Hoxton, he of full age and she a minor. Both parties list their place of residence as Ely Place, yet according to other information, this street was not named until 1861. He was a bricklayer, she had no occupation listed, but both were literate and able to sign their names on their marriage certificate.

Source: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSF7-Q9Y7?cc=3734475

Reply

NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Church Farmhouse Museum Church Farmhouse Museum was situated in a 17th-century farmhouse in Hendon – the oldest surviving dwelling in Hendon.
Jewish Military Museum The Jewish Military Museum features exhibits about Jews serving in the British armed forces from the 18th century to the present day.
St Mary’s Church, Hendon St Mary’s Church in Hendon may date back to the Anglo-Saxon period.
St Mary’s Churchyard St Mary’s Churchyard is also known as ’Hendon Churchyard’.

NEARBY STREETS
Aerodrome Road, NW4 Aerodrome Road dates from the building of Hendon Way.
Alwyn Gardens, NW4 Alwyn Gardens is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Ansel Adams Way, HA2 Ansel Adams Way is a location in London.
Aprey Gardens, NW4 Aprey Gardens is a street in Hendon.
Babington Road, NW4 Babington Road is a street in Hendon.
Bob Currie Close, HA2 Bob Currie Close is a location in London.
Bonville Gardens, NW4 Bonville Gardens is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Brampton Lane, NW4 Brampton Lane is a street in Hendon.
Buckingham Court, NW4 Buckingham Court is a street in Hendon.
Canberra Close, NW4 Canberra Close is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Chapel Walk, NW4 Chapel Walk is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Church End, NW4 Church End is the original centre of Hendon.
Church Road, NW4 Church Road is an original street in the village of Hendon and connected Brent Street with Church End.
Church Terrace, NW4 Church Terrace begins at Church End and ends in Sunny Hill Park.
Clarendon Gardens, NW4 Clarendon Gardens is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Courtney House, NW4 Residential block
Downage, NW4 Downage is a road with an ancient name.
Egerton Gardens, NW4 Egerton Gardens is a street in Hendon.
Florence Street, NW4 Florence Street is a street in Hendon.
Fuller Street, NW4 Fuller Street was built before 1874.
Glebe Crescent, NW4 Glebe Crescent is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Greyhound Hill, NW4 Greyhound Hill was part of a medieval route which ran from Church End, Hendon to Mill Hill at the Three Hammers pub on the Ridgeway.
Hatchcroft, NW4 Hatchcroft is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Heading Street, NW4 Heading Street dated from 1874.
Hendale Avenue, NW4 Hendale Avenue is a street in Hendon.
Johns Avenue, NW4 Johns Avenue is a street in Hendon.
Lodge Road, NW4 Lodge Road is a street in Hendon.
Mulberry Close, NW4 Mulberry Close is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Newark Parade, NW4 Newark Parade is a street in Hendon.
Newark Way, NW4 Newark Way is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Nursery Walk, NW4 Nursery Walk is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Parson Street, NW4 Parson Street was already in existence by 1321.
Prince of Wales Close, NW4 Prince of Wales Close inherited the name of the former Prince of Wales Road, situated on the same spot.
Prince of Wales Road, NW4 Prince of Wales Road is a former road of Hendon.
Ravenshurst Avenue, NW4 Ravenshurst Avenue is a street in Hendon.
Rickard Close, NW4 Rickard Close is a street in Hendon.
Rowsley Avenue, NW4 Rowsley Avenue is a street in Hendon.
Sherrock Gardens, NW4 Sherrock Gardens is a street in Hendon.
Sherwood Road, NW4 Sherwood Road is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Southfields, NW4 Southfields is a street in Hendon.
St Josephs Grove, NW4 St Josephs Grove is a street in Hendon.
St Mary’s Crescent, NW4 St Mary’s Crescent is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Studio Mews, NW4 Studio Mews is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Sunningfields Road, NW4 Sunningfields Road is a street in Hendon.
Sunny Gardens Parade, NW4 Sunny Gardens Parade is a street in Hendon.
Sunny Gardens Road, NW4 Sunny Gardens Road leads north out of Hendon.
Sunny Hill, NW4 Sunny Hill is a street in Hendon.
Sunny Place, NW4 Sunny Place is a street in Hendon.
Sutton Parade, NW4 Sutton Parade is a street in Hendon.
Swynford Gardens, NW4 Swynford Gardens is a road in the NW4 postcode area
The Burroughs, NW4 The Burroughs, now simply a road, referred to a hamlet until the 1890s.
Thornbury, NW4 Thornbury is a residential block in Church End, Hendon.
Watford Way, NW4 Watford Way runs from Hendon Central circus to Apex Corner.
Wilshaw Close, NW4 Wilshaw Close is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Wilshaw Street, NW4 A street within the NW4 postcode

NEARBY PUBS
The Claddagh Ring This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.


Click here to explore another London street
We now have 505 completed street histories and 46995 partial histories
Find streets or residential blocks within the M25 by clicking STREETS


Hendon

Hendon railway station is a National Rail station situated to the west of Hendon, in the London Borough of Barnet.

The station was built by the Midland Railway in 1868 on its extension to St. Pancras. From 1875 the Midland opened a service to Victoria on the London, Chatham and Dover Railway and received coaches from the London and South Western Railway for attachment to north-bound trains.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Click here to see map view of nearby Creative Commons images
Click here to see Creative Commons images near to this postcode
Hendon Central (1923)
TUM image id: 1489498425
Licence: CC BY 2.0
The site of Hendon Central station (1896) The future site of the 1920s Hendon Central station (at the red marker) was anticipated on the late nineteenth century Ordnance Survey map of the area. Butcher’s Lane, later to be Queen’s Road, headed west out of Hendon proper and made a sharp northward turn towards The Burroughs on the later site of Hendon Central Circus. The site is marked with GP (Guide Post) where a sign post pointed the way. Goosebury Gardens, at the bottom of the map, was located north of what became Brent Cross Flyover. The lane which ran north all the way The Burroughs became the route of Watford Way. The North Circular Road, Watford Way and the new Hendon Central station were all part of a coordinated 1920s scheme, transforming the area completely.
Credit: Ordnance Survey
TUM image id: 1656756550
Licence:

In the neighbourhood...

Click an image below for a better view...
Hendon was a Middlesex village, albeit large, until the arrival of the railway. The Midland Main Line reached Hendon in 1868 followed by London Underground further east under the name Hendon Central in 1923. The district is famous historically for the London Aerodrome which later became RAF Hendon.
Credit: Wiki Commons/Irid Escent
Licence:


Church Farmhouse Museum from Greyhound Hill (2011)
Credit: Grim23
Licence: CC BY 2.0


Greyhound Hill The photo was taken in 1912, looking down the hill towards Hendon Aerodrome.
Licence:


Print-friendly version of this page

  Contact us · Copyright policy · Privacy policy