Print-friendly version of this page
Hammersmith & Chiswick railway station was in west London. Originally named "Hammersmith" it became "Hammersmith & Chiswick" in 1880. ...Licence:
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Ashbourne Grove, W4 Ashbourne Grove is the first of a series of road names in alphabetical order. Askew Road, W12 Askew Road is named after a local landowning family, the Askews, who also owned substantial land in Gloucestershire. Balfern Grove, W4 Balfern Grove is claimed by the local historical society as one of the least imaginative approaches to road naming in Chiswick. British Grove, W4 The Hammersmith and Turnham Green British School created the name British Grove. Cleveland Avenue, W4 Barbara, Duchess of Cleveland, lived in Walpole House and was buried in St Nicholas Church. Cornwall Grove, W4 Cornwall Grove is the middle of five groves with names beginning A to E. Eastbury Grove, W4 Eastbury Grove links four other streets beginning with letters A to D: Ashbourne Grove, Balfern Grove, Cornwall Grove and Dorchester Grove. Kings Yard, E15 Kings Yard is one of the streets of London in the E15 postal area. Lonsdale Road, SW13 William Lowther, 2nd Earl of Lonsdale bought the land in 1846, on which the road was later built. Lowther Road, SW13 Lowther Road is named for William Lowther, 2nd Earl of Lonsdale, local landowner,
Chiswick: Cheese Farm.
Chiswick is a large suburb of west London. It contains Hogarth's House, the former residence of the 18th century English artist William Hogarth; Chiswick House, a neo-Palladian villa regarded as one of the finest in England; and Fuller's Brewery, London's largest and oldest brewery.
Chiswick is located on a meander of the River Thames which is heavily used for competitive and recreational rowing, and Chiswick itself is home to several clubs. The finishing post for the Boat Race is just downstream of Chiswick Bridge.
The area was historically an ancient parish in the county of Middlesex, with an agrarian and fishing economy. Having good communications with London from an early time Chiswick became a popular country retreat, and as part of the suburban growth of London in the late 19th and early 20th centuries the population significantly expanded. It became the Municipal Borough of Brentford and Chiswick in 1932 and has formed part of Greater London since 1965.
Chiswick was first recorded c.1000 as Ceswican
; the name Chiswick is of Old English origin meaning 'Cheese Farm' and originates from the riverside meadows and farms that are thought to have supported an annual cheese fair on Dukes Meadows up until the 18th century.
Chiswick grew up as a fishing village around St Nicholas church on Church Street
. The parish included Strand-on-the-Green, Little Sutton and Turnham Green. By the early nineteenth century the fishing industry in and around Chiswick was declining as the growth of industry and the invention of the flush toilet were causing pollution in the river. Fish began to die out and the river became unsuitable as a spawning ground. Locks upstream also made the river impassable by migratory fish such as salmon and shad. From the 18th century onwards the High Road became built up with inns and large houses.
The population of Chiswick grew almost tenfold during the 19th century, reaching 30,000 in 1901, and the area is a mixture of Georgian, Victorian and Edwardian housing. Suburban building began in Gunnersbury in the 1860s and in Bedford Park, on the borders of Chiswick and Acton, in 1875.
The first V-2 rocket to hit London fell on Chiswick on 8 September 1944, killing three people, injuring 22 others and causing extensive damage to surrounding trees and buildings. Six houses were demolished by the rocket and many more suffered damage. There is a memorial where the rocket fell on Staveley Road. There is also a War Memorial at the east end of Turnham Green.