Hill Drive, NW9

Road in/near Wembley Park

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  OPENSTREETMAP  GOOGLE MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.57066 -0.26871, 51.57 -0.268) 
MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502021Remove markers
Road · Wembley Park · NW9 ·
MAY
23
2017

Hill Drive is a road in the NW9 postcode area




CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE LOCALITY

None so far :(
LATEST LONDON-WIDE CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE PROJECT



   
Added: 11 Apr 2021 20:03 GMT   

North Harrow
The North Harrow Embassy Cinema was closed in 1963 and replaced by a bowling alley and a supermarket. As well as the cinema itself there was a substantial restaurant on the first floor.

Source: Embassy Cinema in North Harrow, GB - Cinema Treasures

Reply
Lived here
KJ   
Added: 11 Apr 2021 12:34 GMT   

Family
1900’s Cranmer family lived here at 105 (changed to 185 when road was re-numbered)
James Cranmer wife Louisa ( b.Logan)
They had 3 children one being my grandparent William (Bill) CRANMER married to grandmother “Nancy” He used to go to
Glengall Tavern in Bird in Bush Rd ,now been converted to flats.

Reply
Comment
charlie evans   
Added: 10 Apr 2021 18:51 GMT   

apollo pub 1950s
Ted Lengthorne was the landlord of the apollo in the 1950s. A local called darkie broom who lived at number 5 lancaster road used to be the potman,I remember being in the appollo at a street party that was moved inside the pub because of rain for the queens coronation . Not sure how long the lengthornes had the pub but remember teds daughter julie being landlady in the early 1970,s

Reply

Graham O’Connell   
Added: 10 Apr 2021 10:24 GMT   

Lloyd & Sons, Tin Box Manufacturers (1859 - 1982)
A Lloyd & Sons occupied the wharf (now known as Lloyds Wharf, Mill Street) from the mid 19th Century to the late 20th Century. Best known for making tin boxes they also produced a range of things from petrol canisters to collecting tins. They won a notorious libel case in 1915 when a local councillor criticised the working conditions which, in fairness, weren’t great. There was a major fire here in 1929 but the company survived at least until 1982 and probably a year or two after that.

Reply
Born here
Joyce Taylor   
Added: 5 Apr 2021 21:05 GMT   

Lavender Road, SW11
MyFather and Grand father lived at 100 Lavender Road many years .I was born here.

Reply
Born here
Beverly Sand   
Added: 3 Apr 2021 17:19 GMT   

Havering Street, E1
My mother was born at 48 Havering Street. That house no longer exists. It disappeared from the map by 1950. Family name Schneider, mother Ray and father Joe. Joe’s parents lived just up the road at 311 Cable Street

Reply
Comment
Fumblina   
Added: 27 Mar 2021 11:13 GMT   

St Jude’s Church, Lancefield Street
Saint Jude’s was constructed in 1878, while the parish was assigned in 1879 from the parish of Saint John, Kensal Green (P87/JNE2). The parish was united with the parishes of Saint Luke (P87/LUK1) and Saint Simon (P87/SIM) in 1952. The church was used as a chapel of ease for a few years, but in 1959 it was closed and later demolished.

The church is visible on the 1900 map for the street on the right hand side above the junction with Mozart Street.

Source: SAINT JUDE, KENSAL GREEN: LANCEFIELD STREET, WESTMINSTER | Londo

Reply
Comment
Fumblina   
Added: 27 Mar 2021 11:08 GMT   

Wedding at St Jude’s Church
On 9th November 1884 Charles Selby and Johanna Hanlon got married in St Jude’s Church on Lancefield Street. They lived together close by at 103 Lancefield Street.
Charles was a Lather, so worked in construction. He was only 21 but was already a widower.
Johanna is not shown as having a profession but this is common in the records and elsewhere she is shown as being an Ironer or a Laundress. It is possible that she worked at the large laundry shown at the top of Lancefield Road on the 1900 map. She was also 21. She was not literate as her signature on the record is a cross.
The ceremony was carried out by William Hugh Wood and was witnessed by Charles H Hudson and Caroline Hudson.

Source: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/1623/images/31280_197456-00100?pId=6694792

Reply
NEARBY STREETS
Adams Close, HA9 Adams Close is a street in Kingsbury.
Adams Close, NW9 Adams Close is a location in London.
Alington Crescent, NW9 Alington Crescent is a street in Kingsbury.
Barn Hill, HA9 Barn Hill is one of the streets in the Harrow postal district of Middlesex.
Bruno Place, HA9 Bruno Place is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Carmel Court, HA9 A street within the HA9 postcode
Church Drive, NW9 Church Drive is a street in Kingsbury.
Deanscroft Avenue, NW9 Deanscroft Avenue is a street in Kingsbury.
Dimsdale Drive, NW9 Dimsdale Drive is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Dunster Drive, NW9 Dunster Drive is a street in Kingsbury.
Glenwood Grove, NW9 Glenwood Grove is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Greenhill Way, HA9 Greenhill Way is a road in the HA9 postcode area
Holden Avenue, NW9 Holden Avenue is a street in Kingsbury.
Kings Drive, HA9 Kings Drive is one of the streets in the Harrow postal district of Middlesex.
Kingsmere Park, NW9 Kingsmere Park is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Langdon Drive, NW9 Langdon Drive is a street in Kingsbury.
Lavender Avenue, NW9 Lavender Avenue is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Mallard Way, NW9 Mallard Way is a street in Kingsbury.
Mallaroad Way, NW9 Mallaroad Way is a location in London.
Merley Court, NW9 Merley Court is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Mount Drive, HA9 Mount Drive is one of the streets in the Harrow postal district of Middlesex.
Old Church Lane, NW9 Old Church Lane is a street in Kingsbury.
Old St. Andrews Mansions, NW9 Old St. Andrews Mansions is a location in London.
Pilgrims Way, HA9 Pilgrims Way is a road in the HA9 postcode area
Queens Walk, NW9 Queens Walk is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Rossdale Drive, NW9 Rossdale Drive is a street in Kingsbury.
Salmon Street, NW9 Salmon Street is a street in Kingsbury.
Saltcroft Close, HA9 Saltcroft Close is a road in the HA9 postcode area
St Andrews Road, NW9 St Andrews Road is a street in Kingsbury.
St. Andrews Road, NW9 St. Andrews Road is a location in London.
Summers Close, HA9 Summers Close is a location in London.
Swinton Close, HA9 Swinton Close is a road in the HA9 postcode area
The Paddocks, HA9 The Paddocks is one of the streets in the Barn Hill area of Wembley.
Tudor Close, NW9 Tudor Close is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Tudor Gardens, NW9 Tudor Gardens is a street in Kingsbury.
Wells Drive, NW9 Wells Drive is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Wickliffe Gardens, HA9 Wickliffe Gardens is a road in the HA9 postcode area


Wembley Park

Wembley Park is a London Underground station, the nearest Underground station to the Wembley Stadium complex.

Tracks were laid through the area by the Metropolitan Railway (MR, now the Metropolitan Line) when it extended its services from Willesden Green to Harrow-on-the-Hill. Services to Harrow started on 2 August 1880 although Wembley Park station was not constructed until later.

The station was constructed to serve the pleasure grounds developed by the MR at Wembley Park, a former country estate bought by the company in 1881 as a destination for excursion trips on the company’s trains. The station opened for the first time on 14 October 1893 and initially operated to serve only Saturday football matches in the park. It opened fully on 12 May 1894.

Later in the 1890s, the Great Central Railway’s (GCR’s) London extension was constructed adjacent to the MR’s tracks. The tracks pass under the entrance building but the station has never been served by mainline operators. In 1905 the tracks were electrified and the first electric trains became operational. Between 1913 and 1915, the MR added additional tracks to double the line’s capacity.

On 10 December 1932, the MR opened a branch line north from Wembley Park to Stanmore.

Originally, the MR served all stations south from Wembley Park to Baker Street station but the line suffered from congestion due to limited capacity on the tracks heading into Baker Street. Following the combination of the MR and London’s other underground railways to form the London Passenger Transport Board (LPTB) in 1933, the LPTB took steps to alleviate the congestion by constructing new Bakerloo Line tunnels from Baker Street to connect to the Metropolitan’s tracks south of Finchley Road station. From 20 November 1939, the Bakerloo Line then took over the Metropolitan stopping services between Wembley Park and Finchley Road and the Stanmore branch.

To handle the exceptional passenger numbers associated with the 1948 Olympics held at Wembley Stadium, the original station building was extended and given a new ticket hall and additional circulation routes and platform stairs. At the opening of the Jubilee Line on 1 May 1979, the Bakerloo service from Baker Street to Stanmore was transferred to the new line.

When the UEFA European Football Championship was held at Wembley in 1996, a large staircase was constructed leading down from the 1948 extension and under the newly-built Bobby Moore Bridge, which had opened in 1993. This was intended as a temporary structure and remained in its unfinished state until 2004, when extensive work began on the station in conjunction with the reconstruction of Wembley Stadium. Additional facilities were provided to handle event crowds, and the staircase was completed in time for the opening of the new stadium in 2007.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Wembley Stadium, 1947
TUM image id: 1556882897
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Postcard of Forty Farm
TUM image id: 1557227472
Licence: CC BY 2.0
The Plough - reputedly 800 years old
TUM image id: 1517936032
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Oakington Manor Farm
TUM image id: 1603469997
Licence: CC BY 2.0

In the neighbourhood...

Click an image below for a better view...
The lower yard at cottages of Blackbird Hill Farm on Old Church Lane, c.1880.
Credit: Brent Archives
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Print-friendly version of this page