Staveley Road, W4
Road in/near Kew Green, existing between 1927 and now
Print-friendly version of this page Kew Green is a large open space owned by the Crown Estate and extending to about thirty acres.
Staveley Road was the site of the first V2 rocket landing on London.
At 18.43 on Friday 8 September 1944, a V2 missile launched from Wassenaar, Netherlands in Holland landed in Staveley Road, near the junction with Burlington Lane
The V2 on Chiswick resulted in three deaths. Three year old Rosemary Clarke who lived at number 1 Staveley Road, Ada Harrison aged 68 of 3 Staveley Road and Sapper Bernard Browning, who was on leave, and on his way to Chiswick Station. 19 were injured.
The missile had taken seven minutes to reach Chiswick from Holland, travelling at around 3000mph. This is regarded as the world’s first recognised ballistic rocket attack, although another V-2 had previously landed in the outskirts of Paris earlier in the morning.
Eleven houses were completely destroyed and another fifteen had to be extensively rebuilt. The general public was not notified about the existence of V2 rockets until November.
Sixteen seconds after the V2 attack occurred in Chiswick, another V2 landed in a rural location in Epping Forest landing harmlessly.
Staveley Road covered the original site of Chiswick Park Farm and was built between 1927 and 1931 as part of the Chiswick Park Estate.
Memorial on the site of the first V-2 rocket to land on London during the Second World War, located in Staveley Road, W4.
The northern, eastern and southwestern sides of the Green are largely residential with some pubs, restaurants, and the Herbarium Library. To the north of the Green is Kew Bridge
and the South Circular Road leading from the bridge runs across the Green, dividing it into a large western part and a smaller eastern part.
At the south end is St Anne’s Church and at the west end of the Green is Elizabeth Gate, one of the two main entrances into Kew Gardens.
A large triangular space, Kew Green
is mentioned in a Parliamentary Survey of Richmond taken in 1649. Kew Green
became notable as a venue for cricket in the 1730s and a parcel of land at the edge of the Green was enclosed by George IV in the 1820
Near the northeast corner of Kew Green
is Kew Pond, originally thought to have been fed from a creek of the tidal Thames. During high tides, sluice gates are opened to allow river water to fill the pond via an underground channel.