Queens Walk, NW9

Road in/near Kingsbury

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  OPENSTREETMAP  GOOGLE MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.56851 -0.26537, 51.568 -0.265) 
MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502021Remove markers
Road · Kingsbury · NW9 ·
MAY
24
2017

Queens Walk is a road in the NW9 postcode area




CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE LOCALITY

None so far :(
LATEST LONDON-WIDE CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE PROJECT



   
Added: 11 Apr 2021 20:03 GMT   

North Harrow
The North Harrow Embassy Cinema was closed in 1963 and replaced by a bowling alley and a supermarket. As well as the cinema itself there was a substantial restaurant on the first floor.

Source: Embassy Cinema in North Harrow, GB - Cinema Treasures

Reply
Lived here
KJ   
Added: 11 Apr 2021 12:34 GMT   

Family
1900’s Cranmer family lived here at 105 (changed to 185 when road was re-numbered)
James Cranmer wife Louisa ( b.Logan)
They had 3 children one being my grandparent William (Bill) CRANMER married to grandmother “Nancy” He used to go to
Glengall Tavern in Bird in Bush Rd ,now been converted to flats.

Reply
Comment
charlie evans   
Added: 10 Apr 2021 18:51 GMT   

apollo pub 1950s
Ted Lengthorne was the landlord of the apollo in the 1950s. A local called darkie broom who lived at number 5 lancaster road used to be the potman,I remember being in the appollo at a street party that was moved inside the pub because of rain for the queens coronation . Not sure how long the lengthornes had the pub but remember teds daughter julie being landlady in the early 1970,s

Reply

Graham O’Connell   
Added: 10 Apr 2021 10:24 GMT   

Lloyd & Sons, Tin Box Manufacturers (1859 - 1982)
A Lloyd & Sons occupied the wharf (now known as Lloyds Wharf, Mill Street) from the mid 19th Century to the late 20th Century. Best known for making tin boxes they also produced a range of things from petrol canisters to collecting tins. They won a notorious libel case in 1915 when a local councillor criticised the working conditions which, in fairness, weren’t great. There was a major fire here in 1929 but the company survived at least until 1982 and probably a year or two after that.

Reply
Born here
Joyce Taylor   
Added: 5 Apr 2021 21:05 GMT   

Lavender Road, SW11
MyFather and Grand father lived at 100 Lavender Road many years .I was born here.

Reply
Born here
Beverly Sand   
Added: 3 Apr 2021 17:19 GMT   

Havering Street, E1
My mother was born at 48 Havering Street. That house no longer exists. It disappeared from the map by 1950. Family name Schneider, mother Ray and father Joe. Joe’s parents lived just up the road at 311 Cable Street

Reply
Comment
Fumblina   
Added: 27 Mar 2021 11:13 GMT   

St Jude’s Church, Lancefield Street
Saint Jude’s was constructed in 1878, while the parish was assigned in 1879 from the parish of Saint John, Kensal Green (P87/JNE2). The parish was united with the parishes of Saint Luke (P87/LUK1) and Saint Simon (P87/SIM) in 1952. The church was used as a chapel of ease for a few years, but in 1959 it was closed and later demolished.

The church is visible on the 1900 map for the street on the right hand side above the junction with Mozart Street.

Source: SAINT JUDE, KENSAL GREEN: LANCEFIELD STREET, WESTMINSTER | Londo

Reply
Comment
Fumblina   
Added: 27 Mar 2021 11:08 GMT   

Wedding at St Jude’s Church
On 9th November 1884 Charles Selby and Johanna Hanlon got married in St Jude’s Church on Lancefield Street. They lived together close by at 103 Lancefield Street.
Charles was a Lather, so worked in construction. He was only 21 but was already a widower.
Johanna is not shown as having a profession but this is common in the records and elsewhere she is shown as being an Ironer or a Laundress. It is possible that she worked at the large laundry shown at the top of Lancefield Road on the 1900 map. She was also 21. She was not literate as her signature on the record is a cross.
The ceremony was carried out by William Hugh Wood and was witnessed by Charles H Hudson and Caroline Hudson.

Source: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/1623/images/31280_197456-00100?pId=6694792

Reply
NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Blackbird Hill (1906) Blackbird Hill is image in 1906 and then part of Neasden.
Blackbird Hill Farm Blackbird Hill Farm was situated on the corner of Birdbird Hill and Old Church Lane.

NEARBY STREETS
Adams Close, HA9 Adams Close is a street in Kingsbury.
Adams Close, NW9 Adams Close is a location in London.
Birchen Close, NW9 Birchen Close is a street in Kingsbury.
Birchen Grove, NW10 Birchen Grove is a street in Kingsbury.
Birchen Grove, NW9 Birchen Grove is a location in London.
Blackbird Hill, NW9 The route of Blackbird Hill has been in existence since the Domesday Book.
Blackbiroad Hill, NW9 Blackbiroad Hill is a location in London.
Braemar Avenue, NW10 Braemar Avenue is a street in Willesden.
Bruno Place, HA9 Bruno Place is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Church Drive, NW9 Church Drive is a street in Kingsbury.
Daisy Close, NW9 Daisy Close is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Deanscroft Avenue, NW9 Deanscroft Avenue is a street in Kingsbury.
Dimsdale Drive, NW9 Dimsdale Drive is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Dunster Drive, NW9 Dunster Drive is a street in Kingsbury.
Farnborough Close, HA9 Farnborough Close is a road in the HA9 postcode area
Glenwood Grove, NW9 Glenwood Grove is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Greenhill Way, HA9 Greenhill Way is a road in the HA9 postcode area
Harp Island Close, NW10 Harp Island Close is a road in the NW10 postcode area
Hill Drive, NW9 Hill Drive is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Holden Avenue, NW9 Holden Avenue is a street in Kingsbury.
Kingsmere Park, NW9 Kingsmere Park is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Langdon Drive, NW9 Langdon Drive is a street in Kingsbury.
Lavender Avenue, NW9 Lavender Avenue is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Leith Close, NW9 Leith Close is a street in Kingsbury.
Mount Drive, HA9 Mount Drive is one of the streets in the Harrow postal district of Middlesex.
Old Church Lane, NW9 Old Church Lane is a street in Kingsbury.
Old St Andrew’s Mansions, NW9 Old St Andrew’s Mansions, named after the nearby church, were designed by E. Trobridge for T.W. Heath & Co Ltd of Neasden.
Old St. Andrews Mansions, NW9 Old St. Andrews Mansions is a location in London.
Rossdale Drive, NW9 Rossdale Drive is a street in Kingsbury.
Runbury Circle, NW9 Runbury Circle is a street in Kingsbury.
Salmon Street, NW9 Salmon Street is a street in Kingsbury.
St Andrews Road, NW9 St Andrews Road is a street in Kingsbury.
St. Andrews Road, NW9 St. Andrews Road is a location in London.
Swinton Close, HA9 Swinton Close is a road in the HA9 postcode area
The Drive, HA9 The Drive is one of the streets in the Harrow postal district of Middlesex.
The Mount, HA9 The Mount is a road in the HA9 postcode area
The Paddocks, HA9 The Paddocks is one of the streets in the Barn Hill area of Wembley.
Tudor Close, NW9 Tudor Close is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Tudor Gardens, NW9 Tudor Gardens is a street in Kingsbury.
Wells Drive, NW9 Wells Drive is a road in the NW9 postcode area


Kingsbury

Kingsbury station was opened on 10 December 1932 as part of the Stanmore branch of the Metropolitan Railway and served by that company’s electric trains.

After the formation of London Transport in 1933 this branch became part of the Metropolitan line and was later transferred to the Bakerloo line in 1939 then to the Jubilee line in 1979. The design style is similar to that of other Metropolitan Railway buildings of the same period rather than to the concrete and glass style used at the same time by the LER group.

In common with other nearby Metropolitan Railway stations (e.g. Harrow-on-the-Hill, Neasden, Queensbury) there is an element of fiction in the station name; the area is properly within the eastern extent of Kenton (Kingsbury Road at this point was originally part of the eastern end of Kenton Lane) and Kingsbury proper is actually closer to Neasden station.

Although now only served by deep-level tube trains, the section of line serving the station is built to surface gauge, and trains to that larger LU loading gauge occasionally pass through.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Wembley Stadium, 1947
TUM image id: 1556882897
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Welsh Harp
Credit: Unknown
TUM image id: 1534456927
Licence: CC BY 2.0
The Plough - reputedly 800 years old
TUM image id: 1517936032
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Oakington Manor Farm
TUM image id: 1603469997
Licence: CC BY 2.0

In the neighbourhood...

Click an image below for a better view...
The lower yard at cottages of Blackbird Hill Farm on Old Church Lane, c.1880.
Credit: Brent Archives
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Print-friendly version of this page