Barnet Way, EN5

Road in/near Arkley

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.64172 -0.25605) 

Barnet Way, EN5

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Road · Arkley · WD6 ·
JUNE
3
2017

Barnet Way is a road in the EN5 postcode area




NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Froghall Cottages Frog Hall Cottages were built in the late 1860s along Barnet Lane.
Manor Farm Manor Farm was originally a farm in Boreham Wood.
Stirling Corner Stirling Corner is the road junction of the A1 Barnet Bypass and Barnet Lane.

NEARBY STREETS
Arkley Park, EN5 Arkley Park is a road in the EN5 postcode area
Barnet Way, WD6 Barnet Way is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Cobb Close, WD6 This is a street in the WD6 postcode area
Connemara Close, WD6 Connemara Close is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Elstree Park, WD6 Elstree Park is a mobile home park.
Farriers Way, WD6 Farriers Way was built on the site of the former Home of Rest for Horses.
Hunter Close, WD6 Hunter Close is a road in the WD6 postcode area
Hyver Hill, EN5 Hyver Hill is an exclusive road off of the Barnet By Pass near Stirling Corner.
Hyver Hill, NW7 Hyver Hill is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Percheron Road, WD6 Percheron Road like many roads on the site of the Home of Rest for Horses has an equine theme.
Pinto Close, WD6 This is a street in the WD6 postcode area
Saddlers Close, WD6 This is a street in the WD6 postcode area
Shetland Close, WD6 Shetland Close, like other roads on the ’Horses Home’ estate was named after a breed of horse.


Queen's Park

Queen's Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.

The north of Queen's Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen's Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen's Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen's Park 'proper' formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen's Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.

Queen's Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett's wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen's Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queens Park are a conservation area.

There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.

Queen's Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.

Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen's Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen's Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR. As of December 2013, no mainline services calling at the station and the Watford service has been transferred to London Overground.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Home of Rest for Horses
TUM image id: 1045
Neptune Studios
TUM image id: 1061
ABPC Elstree Studios
TUM image id: 1062
MGM
TUM image id: 1065
Apex Corner in the 1920s.
TUM image id: 1155
Clarendon Road, WD6
TUM image id: 1469027977
Print-friendly version of this page