British Grove, W6
Buildings in this area date from the nineteenth century or before
Print-friendly version of this page Ashbourne Grove, W4 Ashbourne Grove is the first of a series of road names in alphabetical order. Askew Road, W12 Askew Road is named after a local landowning family, the Askews, who also owned substantial land in Gloucestershire. Balfern Grove, W4 Balfern Grove is claimed by the local historical society as one of the least imaginative approaches to road naming in Chiswick. British Grove, W4 The Hammersmith and Turnham Green British School created the name British Grove. Cleveland Avenue, W4 Barbara, Duchess of Cleveland, lived in Walpole House and was buried in St Nicholas Church. Cornwall Grove, W4 Cornwall Grove is the middle of five groves with names beginning A to E. Kings Yard, E15 Kings Yard is one of the streets of London in the E15 postal area. Lonsdale Road, SW13 William Lowther, 2nd Earl of Lonsdale bought the land in 1846, on which the road was later built. Lowther Road, SW13 Lowther Road is named for William Lowther, 2nd Earl of Lonsdale, local landowner, Madrid Road, SW13 Madrid Road is one of the streets of London in the SW13 postal area.
Hammersmith is a district in west London, England, in the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham, approximately five miles (eight kilometres) west of Charing Cross on the north bank of the River Thames.
One of west London's key transport hubs and commercial and employment centres, and home to several multinational company offices, it is focused on the two London Underground stations, bus station and road network node at Hammersmith Broadway.
Hammersmith's pedestrianised riverside is popular for its many pubs, and excellent views of the river and its annual Boat Race.
The area has provided a location for several TV programmes. The Flying Squad were Hammersmith-based in the 1970s TV series The Sweeney
. It has for some decades been the main centre of London's Polish minority.
Hammersmith is served by two tube stations, one is the western terminus of the Hammersmith & City Line, the other by the Piccadilly and District Lines. Both are called Hammersmith. The latter tube station is part of a larger office, retail and transport development, locally known as The Broadway
after its large encompassing roundabout.
The present Hammersmith & City station is situated on Beadon Road and opened on 1 December 1868, replacing the original station slightly north of here which opened on 13 June 1864 when the line extension was built from Paddington. The Circle line has served Hammersmith since 13 December 2009.
The Piccadilly and District line station was opened on 9 September 1874 by the Metropolitan District Railway (MDR, now the District Line) as the western terminus of the railway when it was extended from Earl's Court.