Winifred Close, NW7
Road is in an area which may have existed since the nineteenth century or before- in the area buildings are mainly post-war
Print-friendly version of this page Barnet Gate Lane, EN5 Barnet Gate Lane runs from Barnet Road before its name changes to Mays Lane when it reaches Totteridge. Hendon Wood Lane, NW7 Hendon Wood Lane leaves Highwood Hill to run north to the former Hertfordshire/Middlesex county boundary at Barnet Gate.
High Barnet is the name of the terminus of the Northern Line but is actually within the original Barnet - Chipping Barnet.
High Barnet station, though planned by the Edgware, Highgate and London Railway), was originally opened on 1 April 1872 by the Great Northern Railway (which had taken over). It was the terminus of a branch line that ran from Highgate and was built over the original site of the Barnet Fair.
The High Barnet branch was incorporated into the London Underground network through the "Northern Heights" project begun in the late 1930s. High Barnet station was first served by Northern line trains on 14 April 1940.
The area was the site of the Battle of Barnet in 1471, where Yorkist troops led by King Edward IV killed the rebellious "Kingmaker" Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick and Warwick’s brother, John Neville, 1st Marquess of Montagu.