South Mead, NW9

Road in/near Grahame Park

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.60236 -0.24288) 

South Mead, NW9

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Road · Grahame Park · NW9 ·
JUNE
3
2017

South Mead is a road in the NW9 postcode area




NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Grahame Park Grahame Park was built on the site of the old Hendon Aerodrome.

NEARBY STREETS
Acklington Drive, NW9 Acklington Drive is a street in Kingsbury.
Avion Crescent, NW9 Avion Crescent is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Bovingdon Lane, NW9 Bovingdon Lane is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Brancaster Drive, NW7 Brancaster Drive is a street in Mill Hill.
Broadhead Strand, NW9 Broadhead Strand is a street in Kingsbury.
Brooklea Close, NW9 Brooklea Close is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Burnham Close, NW7 Burnham Close is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Clayton Field, NW9 Clayton Field is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Corner Mead, NW9 Corner Mead is a major road in the Grahame Park Estate.
Ember Court, NW9 Ember Court is a street in Kingsbury.
Everglade Strand, NW9 Everglade Strand is a street in Kingsbury.
Fakenham Close, NW7 Fakenham Close is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Five Acre, NW9 Five Acre is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Fiveways Corner Flyover, NW4 Fiveways Corner Flyover is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Fiveways Corner, NW4 Fiveways Corner is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Gilda Court, NW7 Gilda Court is a street in Mill Hill.
Grahame Park Way, NW9 Claude Grahame-White founded the Grahame-White Aviation Company near the site of the road in 1911.
Great Field, NW9 Great Field is a cul-de-sac leading from Clayton Field.
Great Strand, NW9 Great Strand is a street in Kingsbury.
Hall Lane, NW4 Hall Lane is part of an old road through Hendon which also ran north into Page Street.
Hazel Close, NW9 Hazel Close is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Heybourne Crescent, NW9 Heybourne Crescent is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Hundred Acre, NW9 Hundred Acre is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Kent Court, NW9 Kent Court is a street in Kingsbury.
Kestrel Close, NW9 Kestrel Close is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Lanacre Avenue, NW9 Lanacre Avenue is a road in the south of Grahame Park.
Lancaster Close, NW9 Lancaster Close is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Larch Green, NW9 Larch Green is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Linklea Close, NW9 Linklea Close is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Little Strand, NW9 Little Strand is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Long Field, NW9 Long Field is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Long Mead, NW9 Long Mead is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Longfield Avenue, NW7 Longfield Avenue is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Near Acre, NW9 Near Acre is a road in the NW9 postcode area
North Acre, NW9 North Acre is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Quakers Course, NW9 Quakers Course is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Tangmere Way, NW9 Tangmere Way is a street in Kingsbury.
The Concourse, NW9 The Concourse is a street in Kingsbury.
Tithe Close, NW7 Tithe Close is a street in Mill Hill.
Tithe Walk, NW7 Tithe Walk is a street in Mill Hill.
Wardell Field, NW9 Wardell Field is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Wiggins Mead, NW9 Wiggins Mead is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Withers Mead, NW9 Withers Mead is a road in the NW9 postcode area


Queen's Park

Queen's Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.

The north of Queen's Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen's Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen's Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen's Park 'proper' formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen's Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.

Queen's Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett's wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen's Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queens Park are a conservation area.

There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.

Queen's Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.

Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen's Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen's Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR. As of December 2013, no mainline services calling at the station and the Watford service has been transferred to London Overground.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Compass
TUM image id: 1025
RAF Museum
TUM image id: 1094
Apex Corner in the 1920s.
TUM image id: 1155
Hendon Central Circus (1928)
TUM image id: 1489498245
Hendon Central (1923)
TUM image id: 1489498425
Featherstone Farm (1909)
TUM image id: 1517934317
The Plough - reputedly 800 years old
TUM image id: 1517936032
The Edgware Road in Colindale
TUM image id: 1517936686
Silk Stream near Colindale (1916)
TUM image id: 1517938166
Print-friendly version of this page