Denmark Hill Drive, NW9

Road in/near Grahame Park

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.59176 -0.239) 

Denmark Hill Drive, NW9

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Road · Grahame Park · NW9 ·
JUNE
3
2017

Denmark Hill Drive is a road in the NW9 postcode area




NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Silk Stream (1916) The Silk Stream was the stream which fed the Welsh Harp reservoir.

NEARBY STREETS
Aerodrome Road, NW4 Aerodrome Road dates from the building of Hendon Way.
Aerodrome Road, NW9 Aerodrome Road is one of the main roads through Grahame Park.
Alwyn Gardens, NW4 Alwyn Gardens is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Bonville Gardens, NW4 Bonville Gardens is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Buckingham Court, NW4 Buckingham Court is a street in Hendon.
Canberra Close, NW4 Canberra Close is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Clarendon Gardens, NW4 Clarendon Gardens is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Clovelly Avenue, NW9 Clovelly Avenue is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Colin Crescent, NW9 Colin Crescent is a street in Kingsbury.
Colindeep Lane, NW4 Colindeep Lane runs west from the A41.
Cottenham Drive, NW9 Cottenham Drive is a road in the NW9 postcode area
East Drive, NW9 East Drive is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Greyhound Hill, NW4 Greyhound Hill was part of a medieval route which ran from Church End, Hendon to Mill Hill at the Three Hammers pub on the Ridgeway.
Hatchcroft, NW4 Hatchcroft is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Hendale Avenue, NW4 Hendale Avenue is a street in Hendon.
Lynton Avenue, NW9 Lynton Avenue is a street in Kingsbury.
M1, NW4 The M1, as it enters the NW4 postcode, is the southernmost section of this motorway.
Newark Parade, NW4 Newark Parade is a street in Hendon.
Newark Way, NW4 Newark Way is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Peel Drive, NW9 Peel Drive is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Propeller Way, NW4 Propeller Way is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Propeller Way, NW9 Propeller Way is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Rickard Close, NW4 Rickard Close is a street in Hendon.
Rowan Drive, NW9 Rowan Drive is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Selborne Gardens, NW4 Selborne Gardens is a street in Hendon.
Sherrock Gardens, NW4 Sherrock Gardens is a street in Hendon.
Southfields, NW4 Southfields is a street in Hendon.
Sunny Hill, NW4 Sunny Hill is a street in Hendon.
Swynford Gardens, NW4 Swynford Gardens is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Watford Way, NW4 Watford Way runs from Hendon Central circus to Apex Corner.
Wilshaw Close, NW4 Wilshaw Close is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Wilshaw Street, SE14 A street within the NW4 postcode


Queen's Park

Queen's Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.

The north of Queen's Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen's Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen's Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen's Park 'proper' formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen's Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.

Queen's Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett's wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen's Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queens Park are a conservation area.

There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.

Queen's Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.

Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen's Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen's Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR. As of December 2013, no mainline services calling at the station and the Watford service has been transferred to London Overground.


LOCAL PHOTOS
London
TUM image id: 1006
Compass
TUM image id: 1025
Schweppes Factory
TUM image id: 1034
Silk Bridge
TUM image id: 1037
Hendon Greyhound Stadium
TUM image id: 1060
RAF Museum
TUM image id: 1094
Brent Cross sewage works
TUM image id: 2372
Brent Street
TUM image id: 2385
Foster House
TUM image id: 2387
Hendon Central Circus (1928)
TUM image id: 1489498245
Hendon Central (1923)
TUM image id: 1489498425
Print-friendly version of this page