Churchmead Road is a road in the NW10 postcode area
Bathurst Gardens, NW10 Bathurst Gardens, NW10 is an east-west road connecting the junction of All Souls Avenue with College Road. Blake Close, W10 Blake Close is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area. Burnley Road, NW10 Burnley Road runs parallel with the tracks of the Metropolitan/Jubilee line, to the north of them. Chapter Road, NW2 Chapter Road follows the line of the railway between Willesden Green and Dollis Hill. Church Road, NW10 Church Road connects the part of Willesden formerly called Church End to Harlesden at Craven Park. College Road, NW10 College Road was named after All Soul’s Collage in Oxford which owned the land that the street was built upon. Dalgarno Way, W10 Dalgarno Way is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area. Dallas Road, NW4 Dallas Road is a road running parallel to the Midland railway and M1. Dobree Avenue, NW10 Dobree Avenue is a road in Willesden, built on the site of the Grange Brickworks. Flowers Close, NW2 Flowers Close belated recognised Tommy Flowers, designer of the Colossus computer. Homestead Park, NW2 Homestead Park consists of twenty one dwelling-houses located on the north side of Dollis Hill Lane. Humber Drive, W10 Humber Drive is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area. Nursery Lane, W10 Nursery Lane is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area. Oakworth Road, W10 Oakworth Road dates from the 1920s when a cottage estate was built by the council. Oxgate Centre, NW2 Oxgate Centre is a road serving an industrial estate west of the Edgware Road. Pollard Road, NW9 Pollard Road was urbanised in the final decades of the nineteenth century. Purves Road, NW10 Purves Road is named after the solicitor of the United Land Company who were developers in this area. Rootes Drive, W10 Rootes Drive is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area. Scrubs Lane, W10 Scrubs Lane is the road on the very western boundary of the London W10 postal area. St Quintin Avenue, W10 St Quintin Avenue connects North Pole Road with the roundabout at the top of St Mark’s Road. Stephenson Street, NW10 Stephenson Street was built in 1889 by the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) for its employees. Tilling Road, NW2 Tilling Road was named after Thomas Tilling, founder of the London omnibus firm. Walm Lane, NW2 Walm Lane links Willesden High Road with the Edgware Road. Webb Close, W10 Webb Close is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area. Wulfstan Street, W12 Wulfstan Street, like all streets in the Wormholt and Old Oak Estate, was named after a Bishop of London.
A good place for those from the 14th century with particularly bad eyesight.
From the 14th to 16th centuries, Willesden was a place of pilgrimage due to the presence of two ancient statues of the Virgin Mary at the Church of St Mary. One of these statues is thought to be a Black Madonna, which was insulted by the Lollards, taken to Thomas Cromwell's house and burnt in 1538 on a large bonfire of 'notable images. including those of Walsingham, Worcester and Ipswich. There was also a 'holy well' which was thought to possess miraculous qualities, particularly for blindness and other eye disorders.
The parish of Willesden remained predominantly rural up until after 1875. However, this changed with the opening of the Metropolitan Railway (later the Metropolitan Line) station of Willesden Green on 24 November 1879. By 1906 the population had grown to 140,000, a phenomenon of rapid growth that was to be repeated in the 1920s in neighbouring areas such as Harrow. The Metropolitan Line service was withdrawn in 1940, when the station was served by the Bakerloo Line, and later the Jubilee Line. Willesden Green station has now a grand 1920s facade.
World War I caused Willesden to change from a predominantly middle class suburb to a working class part of London. After the war, Willesden grew rapidly as numerous factories opened up with numerous flats and houses. The local council encouraged building to prevent large unemployment and decline.
To the present day, Willesden has been shaped by the patterns of migration which marks it out as one of the most diverse areas in the United Kingdom. City of London Corporation records show that the first black person recorded in Brent was Sarah Eco, who was christened in St. Mary’s Church in Willesden on 15 September 1723.
The 1901 United Kingdom census recorded that 42% of the population was born in London. In 1923, the specialist coach builder Freestone and Webb established their base in Willesden, producing bespoke cars on Rolls-Royce and Bentley chassis until 1956.
Willesden became a municipal borough in 1933, and it is at this time that the area became predominantly working class. A small Irish community had formed in Willesden by this time, which grew rapidly during the period of the Second World War. A small Jewish community of refugees from Europe also formed during the war, with 3.5% of the population in 1951 born in Germany, Poland, Russia or Austria. During the war, Willesden suffered large damage due to the heavy concentration of industry, such as munition factories, and railways in the area.
The period from 1960 saw migrants settling from the Caribbean and the Indian Subcontinent. Additionally, from 1963 it was the site of the Kuo Yuan
, the first Chinese restaurant to serve Pekinese dishes in Britain. Since the 1960s, Willesden has been popular with young working holidaymakers from Canada, Australia and New Zealand, although this popularity has declined somewhat in favour of other areas since about 2003.
Willesden went into a period of decline during the 1970s and 1980s as much of the housing was inadequate due to overcrowding as industry was mixed with housing. The whole of central Willesden bar (the area by the Willesden Green station) was earmarked for redevelopment; however, this did not come to fruition. In the late 1980s, traders were given money to revamp the High Street
to prevent it closing. It now has one of the best public libraries in the UK, Willesden Green Library Centre - an elegant building and open very long hours.
Now the area has seen another change in demographic becoming a middle class area due to its prime location and good transport links.