Glenmere Avenue, NW7

Road in/near Mill Hill

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.60952 -0.23766) 

Glenmere Avenue, NW7

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Road · Mill Hill · NW7 ·
JUNE
4
2017

Glenmere Avenue is a road in the NW7 postcode area




NEARBY STREETS
Bampton Drive, NW7 Bampton Drive is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Brancaster Drive, NW7 Brancaster Drive is a street in Mill Hill.
Bressay Drive, NW7 Bressay Drive is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Bunns Lane, NW7 Bunns Lane is an old lane, dating from the Middle Ages.
Colenso Drive, NW7 Colenso Drive is a street in Mill Hill.
Copthall Drive, NW7 Copthall Drive is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Copthall Gardens, NW7 Copthall Gardens is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Courtgate Close, NW7 Courtgate Close is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Fakenham Close, NW7 Fakenham Close is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Field Mead, NW9 Field Mead is a street in Kingsbury.
Flower Lane, NW7 Flower Lane dates from the eighteenth century.
Hillside Grove, NW7 Hillside Grove is a street in Mill Hill.
Holland Court, NW7 Holland Court is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Holmdene Avenue, NW7 Holmdene Avenue is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Ladysmith Close, NW7 Ladysmith Close is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Mill Hill Industrial Estate, NW7 Mill Hill Industrial Estate is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Page Street, NW7 Page Street is a very old lane in Mill Hill.
Parkmead Gardens, NW7 Parkmead Gardens is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Parkside, NW7 Parkside is a street in Mill Hill.
Pentavia Retail Park, NW7 Pentavia Retail Park is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Rowlands Close, NW7 Rowlands Close is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Sebergham Grove, NW7 Sebergham Grove is a street in Mill Hill.
Tudor Close, NW7 Tudor Close is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Wiggins Mead, NW9 Wiggins Mead is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Wisteria Close, NW7 Wisteria Close is a road in the NW7 postcode area


Queen's Park

Queen's Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.

The north of Queen's Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen's Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen's Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen's Park 'proper' formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen's Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.

Queen's Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett's wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen's Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queens Park are a conservation area.

There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.

Queen's Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.

Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen's Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen's Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR. As of December 2013, no mainline services calling at the station and the Watford service has been transferred to London Overground.


LOCAL PHOTOS
RAF Museum
TUM image id: 1094
Apex Corner in the 1920s.
TUM image id: 1155
Featherstone Farm (1909)
TUM image id: 1517934317
The Edgware Road in Colindale
TUM image id: 1517936686
Silk Stream near Colindale (1916)
TUM image id: 1517938166
Print-friendly version of this page