Print-friendly version of this page Grahame Park Way, NW9 Claude Grahame-White founded the Grahame-White Aviation Company near the site of the road in 1911. Greyhound Hill, NW4 Greyhound Hill was part of a medieval route which ran from Church End, Hendon to Mill Hill at the Three Hammers pub on the Ridgeway. Hall Lane, NW4 Hall Lane is part of an old road through Hendon which also ran north into Page Street. M1, NW4 The M1, as it enters the NW4 postcode, is the southernmost section of this motorway. Ramsay Road, NW9 Ramsay Road was the northernmost of a series of disappeared streets in West Hendon. Ramsey Close, NW9 Ramsey Close consists of two storey semi-detached houses built in the 1980s. Station Road, NW4 Station Road led from the centre of Hendon village to its first station and to the Edgware Road. Station Road, NW9 Station Road was formerly called Burroughs Lane and led from the Burroughs to Edgware Road south of Silk Bridge.
Grahame Park was built on the site of the old Hendon Aerodrome.
The estate is named in honour of Claude Grahame-White, the aviation pioneer who established the Hendon Aerodrome and aviation school on the site. Most roads, blocks and walkways have names linked to the aviation history of the site.
The building of the estate was a joint project between the Greater London Council and Barnet Council. The estate was designed in a ’Brutalist. style and the first residents moved in during October 1971. Barnet Council is refurbishing much of the estate with a 2032 completion date.
The Royal Air Force Museum is situated immediately to the south-east of the estate.