Print-friendly version of this page
Depot Road is a road in the W12 postcode area
Abdale Road, W12 Abdale Road is located near the ’Groves’ area of Shepherd’s Bush. Ariel Way, W12 Ariel Way connects White City bus station with Shephard’s Bush. Bard Road, W10 Bard Road lies in the area of London W10 near to Latimer Road station. Blake Close, W10 Blake Close is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area. Bramley Mews, W10 Bramley Mews become part of a redelevopment of the area north of Latimer Road station in the 1960s. Bramley Road, W10 Bramley Road is the street in which Latimer Road station is situated. Calverley Street, W10 Calverley Street, one of the lost streets of W10 is now underneath a motorway slip road. Canal Way, W10 Canal Way was built on the site of the Kensal Gas Works. Dalgarno Way, W10 Dalgarno Way is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area. Darfield Way, W10 Darfield Way, in the Latimer Road area, was built over a number of older streets as the Westway was built. Darfield Way, W10 Darfield Way is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area. Dorando Close, W12 Dorando Close commemorates Dorando Pietri who finished first in the marathon of the 1908 London Olympics but was disqualified for receiving assistance. East Mews, W10 East Mews was lost when the Westway was built. It lies partially under the modern Darfield Way. Frog Island, W12 Frog Island was the name of a lane leading north from the Uxbridge Road. Humber Drive, W10 Humber Drive is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area. Lakeside Road, W14 Lakeside Road was built on the site of artificial lakes formed by local brickworks. Lockton Street, W10 Lockton Street, just south of Latimer Road station is so insignificant that nary a soul know's it's there... Manchester Road, W10 Manchester Road is one of the lost streets of North Kensington, now buried beneath a roundabout. Nursery Lane, W10 Nursery Lane is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area. Oakworth Road, W10 Oakworth Road dates from the 1920s when a cottage estate was built by the council. Rootes Drive, W10 Rootes Drive is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area. Station Walk, W10 Station Walk is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area. Walmer Road, W10 Walmer Road is the great lost road of North Kensington, obliterated under Westway. Waynflete Square, W10 Waynflete Square is one of the newer roads in the vicinity of Latimer Road station. Webb Close, W10 Webb Close is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area. West Cross Route, W11 The West Cross Route is a 1.21 km-long dual carriageway running north-south between the northern elevated roundabout junction with the western end of Westway (A40) and the southern Holland Park Roundabout. White City Close, W12 White City Close was designed as a compact series of two- to four-storey brown-brick terraces enclosing landscaped footways and courts. Wood Lane, W12 Wood Lane runs from Shepherd’s Bush to Wormwood Scrubs and lies wholly in London W12.
White City was the place which defined the modern Marathon.
The area now called White City was level arable farmfields until 1908, when it was used as the site of the Franco-British Exhibition and the 1908 Summer Olympics. In 1909 the exhibition site hosted the Imperial International Exhibition and in 1910, the Japan-British Exhibition. The final two exhibitions to be held there were the Latin-British (1912) and the Anglo-American (1914), which was brought to a premature end by the outbreak of the First World War.
During this period it was known as the Great White City due to the white marble cladding used on the exhibition pavilions, and hence gave its name to this part of Shepherd's Bush.
The White City Stadium was demolished in 1985 to make way for the BBC White City building. Today, the 1908 Olympics are commemorated with a list of athletes inscribed on the side of the BBC Broadcast Centre Building, and the athletics finish line is marked in the paving outside the building.
The Marathon from these London Olympics played an important part in the development of the modern marathon race. In the early years of competitive international sport, the long distance marathon race did not have a standard set distance. The distance run at the first seven Olympics from 1896 to 1920 varied between 40km and 42.75 km. The starting point of the race at the 1908 Olympics was at Windsor Castle creating a distance of 26 miles 385 yards to the finishing line at White City stadium. In 1921 this was adopted as the standard distance.
To house the growing population of Shepherd's Bush, a five-storey housing estate was built in the late 1930s, which also took the name of the White City. Streets were named after countries that had featured in the exhibitions.
White City tune station was opened on 23 November 1947, replacing the earlier Wood Lane
station. Its construction started after 1938 and had been scheduled for completion by 1940, but the Second World War delayed its opening for another seven years.
The architectural design of the station won an award at the Festival of Britain and a commemorative plaque recording this is attached to the building to the left of the main entrance.