The Cape Nursery once lay along the south side of Shepherd’s Bush Green.
By the early 19th century the north side and west side of Shepherd’s Bush Common were lined with terraces but the southern side remained open land. The lands here were called Charecroft’s - part of the charity estates belonging to the parish.Licence:
A Little History Of British Gardening by Jenny Uglow reported that during 1760, James Lee and Lewis Kennedy "started a great nursery in Shepherd’s Bush".
In 1797 the Cape Nursery was reported by a botanist to be owned by two gentleman called Middlemist and Wood, and supplying rare plants: "many novelties from the North African flora were exhibited, the proprietor having resided there during many years"
The London Gazette of 1834 notes: "His Majesty’s Commissioners authorised to act under a Fiat in Bankruptcy, bearing date the 31st day of January 1834, awarded and issued forth against John Middlemist, of Cape’s Nursery, Shepherds-Bush, in the County of Middlesex, Nurseryman, Seedsman, Dealer and Cuapman (now or late. Partner with Alexander Wood, late of the same place, Nurseryman)."
In "The Jurist" magazine of 1861, one William Plimley was listed as bankrupt, but marked as occupier - the nursery itself was classed there as a "market garden".
While it was still marked on a 1860 map, by 1870 it had disappeared.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Addison Avenue, W11 Addison Avenue runs north from Holland Park Avenue and was originally called Addison Road North. Addison Place, W11 In the nineteenth century, Addison Place was known by two names - Phoenix Place and Crescent Mews East. Ariel Way, W12 Ariel Way connects White City bus station with Shephard’s Bush. Avondale Park Gardens, W11 Avondale Park Gardens, unlike other roads in the area, was developed in the 1920s when it was laid out on the former workhouse site. Bangor Street, W11 Bangor Street, W11 was situated on the site of the modern Henry Dickens Court. Barb Mews, W6 Barb Mews is a through road off Shepherds Bush Road. Bard Road, W10 Bard Road lies in the area of London W10 near to Latimer Road station. Boxmoor Street, W11 Boxmoor Street was also known as Henry Place and Beaumont Street during its brief life. Bramley Mews, W10 Bramley Mews become part of a redelevopment of the area north of Latimer Road station in the 1960s. Bramley Road, W10 Bramley Road is the street in which Latimer Road station is situated. Brook Green, W14 Brook Green runs either side of the green of the same name - the W14 section runs north of the green. Calverley Street, W10 Calverley Street, one of the lost streets of W10 is now underneath a motorway slip road. Darfield Way, W10 Darfield Way, in the Latimer Road area, was built over a number of older streets as the Westway was built. Darfield Way, W10 Darfield Way is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area. East Mews, W10 East Mews was lost when the Westway was built. It lies partially under the modern Darfield Way. Frog Island, W12 Frog Island was the name of a lane leading north from the Uxbridge Road. Haarlem Road, W6 Haarlem Road runs from Dunsany Road to Augustine Road in West Kensington, Kenley Street, W11 Kenley Street, W11 was originally William Street before it disappeared. Kingsdown Close, W10 Kingsdown Close is one of a select number of roads in London W10 lying south of Westway. Lakeside Road, W14 Lakeside Road was built on the site of artificial lakes formed by local brickworks. Lockton Street, W10 Lockton Street, just south of Latimer Road station is so insignificant that nary a soul know's it's there... Manchester Road, W10 Manchester Road is one of the lost streets of North Kensington, now buried beneath a roundabout. Queensdale Road, W11 Queensdale Road is a long road stretching from west to east, containing terraces of Victorian houses. Shortlands, W6 Shortlands commemorates a local field name, first mentioned in the reign of Henry V. St Andrews Square, W11 St Andrews Square is a street in Notting Dale, formed when the Rillington Place area was demolished. St Anns Villas, W11 St Ann’s Villas, leading into Royal Crescent, is a pleasant tree-lined if busy road. St James’s Gardens, W11 St James’s Gardens is an attractive garden square with St James Church in the middle of the communal garden. St Marks Road, W11 St Marks Road, W11 is the southern extention of the W10 street and in the Latimer Road area. Station Walk, W10 Station Walk is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area. Stoneleigh Place, W11 Stoneleigh Place, formerly called Abbey Road, was built across a brickfield in Notting Dale. Walmer Road, W10 Walmer Road is the great lost road of North Kensington, obliterated under Westway. Waynflete Square, W10 Waynflete Square is one of the newer roads in the vicinity of Latimer Road station. West Cross Route, W11 The West Cross Route is a 1.21 km-long dual carriageway running north-south between the northern elevated roundabout junction with the western end of Westway (A40) and the southern Holland Park Roundabout. Wood Lane, W12 Wood Lane runs from Shepherd’s Bush to Wormwood Scrubs and lies wholly in London W12.
Holland Park is a district, an underground station (and indeed a park) in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.
Holland Park has a reputation as an affluent and fashionable area, known for attractive large Victorian townhouses, and high-class shopping and restaurants.
The district was rural until the 19th century. Most of it was formerly the grounds of a Jacobean mansion called Holland House. In the later decades of that century the owners of the house sold off the more outlying parts of its grounds for residential development, and the district which evolved took its name from the house. It also included some small areas around the fringes which had never been part of the grounds of Holland House, notably the Phillimore Estate and the Campden Hill Square area. In the late 19th century a number of notable artists (including Frederic Leighton, P.R.A. and Val Prinsep) and art collectors lived in the area. The group were collectively known as ’The Holland Park Circle’. Holland Park was in most part very comfortably upper middle class when originally developed and in recent decades has gone further upmarket.
Of the 19th-century residential developments of the area, one of the most architecturally interesting is The Royal Crescent
designed in 1839. Clearly inspired by its older namesake in Bath, it differs from the Bath crescent in that it is not a true crescent at all but two quadrant terraces each terminated by a circular bow in the Regency style which rises as a tower, a feature which would not have been found in the earlier classically inspired architecture of the 18th century which the design of the crescent seeks to emulate. The design of the Royal Crescent
by the planner Robert Cantwell in two halves was dictated by the location of the newly fashionable underground sewers rather than any consideration for architectural aesthetics.
Holland Park is now one of the most expensive residential districts in London.
Holland Park station, on the Central London Railway, opened on 30 July 1900. The station building was refurbished in the 1990s.