Print-friendly version of this page
Tiverton Way is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Arden Road, N3 Arden Road is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Ashley Lane, NW4 Ashley Lane is divided into an official road and a track which is part of a nature reserve. Ashley Walk, NW7 Ashley Walk was once part of Ashley Lane which stretches south from here into a golf course. Barnet Lane, N20 Barnet Lane is one of the streets of London in the N20 postal area. Bittacy Hill, NW7 Bittacy Hill is the name of a part of an old road which led from London to Mill Hill. Central Circus, NW4 Central Circus is the postal designation for addresses around Hendon Central circus. Church End, N3 Church End is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Creswick Walk, NW11 Creswick Walk is a 1911 cul-de-sac designed by G.L. Sutcliffe - his first in the Suburb. Cyprus Road, N3 Cyprus Road is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Dollis Park, N3 Dollis Park runs from Regent’s Park Road to St. Mary’s School. Dollis Road, N3 Dollis Road is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Elm Park Road, N3 Elm Park Road is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Fitzalan Road, N3 Fitzalan Road is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Gravel Hill, N3 Across the junction of East End Road and Regents Park Road, Gravel Hill runs to Hendon Lane. Greenacres, N3 Greenacres is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Greyhound Hill, NW4 Greyhound Hill was part of a medieval route which ran from Church End, Hendon to Mill Hill at the Three Hammers pub on the Ridgeway. Hogarth Hill, NW11 Hogarth Hill is a steep road connecting Willifield Way and Addison Way. Holders Hill Circus, NW7 Holders Hill Circus has long been the junction of Dollis Road, Bittacy Hill and Holders Hill Road. Milespit Hill, NW7 Milespit Hill is one of the original Mill Hill lanes, dating back centuries. Offham Slope, N12 Offham Slope is one of the streets of London in the N12 postal area. Rectory Close, N3 Rectory Close is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Station Road, NW4 Station Road led from the centre of Hendon village to its first station and to the Edgware Road. Stuart Court, N3 Stuart Court is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. The Burroughs, NW4 The Burroughs, now simply a road, referred to a hamlet until the 1890s. The Grange, N20 The Grange is one of the streets of London in the N20 postal area. The Orchard, NW11 57 flats were built in The Orchard in 1909, one of the earliest roads of Hampstead Garden Suburb. Thornbury, NW4 Thornbury is a residential block in Church End, Hendon. Village Road, N3 Village Road is the heart of the Finchley Garden Village conservation area. Windsor Close, N3 Windsor Close is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Wordsworth Walk, NW11 Wordsworth Walk was built between 1910 and 1911 by Herbert Welch, then aged twenty-seven.
Mill Hill East station is on the High Barnet branch of the Northern Line, and is the only station on a branch from Finchley Central. Mill Hill
East station was built by the Edgware, Highgate and London Railway (EH&LR) and was opened as Mill Hill
on 22 August 1867 by the Great Northern Railway (GNR) (which had taken over the EH&LR) in rural Middlesex. The station was on a line from Finsbury Park to Edgware via Highgate.
The EH&LR was built as a double track formation, but only a single track was laid, with the intention of doubling the track when business developed. However, when the GNR opened a branch from Finchley Central to High Barnet in April 1872 traffic on that section was greater, and the second track was never laid from Finchley Central to Edgware. For most of its history the service between those two stations was operated as a shuttle.
The station opened as Mill Hill
and was given its present name in 1928.
The area around Mill Hill
East has still the air of a village about it. It is quiet and very green with plenty of parks and golf courses to hand.
Parts of the eastern side of Mill Hill
have recently undergone redevelopment, with the old gas works replaced by a Waitrose supermarket and housing developments. The small local retail area at Mill Hill
East is at “Kelly’s Corner” (officially Holders Hill Circus
) east of the station. To the south of Mill Hill
East are Copthall and Holders Hill.
The United Kingdom / Carl Zeiss / Bausch & Lomb Optical Works was established at Mill Hill
East in 1912 and demolished in about 1990, to be replaced by a large building owned by the Jehovah Witnesses, to complement their nearby Watchtower House built on the site of the former Bittacy House.
East is the least used station on the Northern Line with only 10,000 passengers per week.