Henry Darlot Drive, NW7

Road in/near Mill Hill East

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.6137 -0.21028) 

Henry Darlot Drive, NW7

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Road · Mill Hill East · NW7 ·
July
8
2017

Henry Darlot Drive is a road in the NW7 postcode area




NEARBY STREETS
Amport Place, NW7 Amport Place is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Bittacy Close, NW7 Bittacy Close is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Bittacy Park Avenue, NW7 Bittacy Park Avenue is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Bittacy Rise, NW7 Bittacy Rise is a street in Mill Hill.
Bray Road, NW7 Bray Road is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Burtonhole Lane, N12 Burtonhole Lane is a road in the N12 postcode area
Charles Sevright Drive, NW7 Charles Sevright Drive is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Curry Rise, NW7 Curry Rise is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Drew Avenue, NW7 Drew Avenue is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Engel Park, NW7 Engel Park is a street in Mill Hill.
Frith Lane, NW7 Frith Lane is a street in Mill Hill.
Kelly Road, NW7 Kelly Road is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Maurice Browne Close, NW7 Maurice Browne Close is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Morphou Road, NW7 Morphou Road is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Partingdale Lane, N12 Partingdale Lane is a road in the N12 postcode area
Partingdale Lane, NW7 Partingdale Lane is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Peacock Close, NW7 Peacock Close is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Price Close, NW7 Price Close is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Reading Way, NW7 Reading Way is a road in the NW7 postcode area
The Rise, NW7 The Rise is a street in Mill Hill.
Thirleby Road, NW7 Thirleby Road is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Walden Way, NW7 Walden Way is a road in the NW7 postcode area
Westlinton Close, NW7 Westlinton Close is a road in the NW7 postcode area


Mill Hill East

Mill Hill East station is on the High Barnet branch of the Northern Line, and is the only station on a branch from Finchley Central.

Mill Hill East station was built by the Edgware, Highgate and London Railway (EH&LR) and was opened as Mill Hill on 22 August 1867 by the Great Northern Railway (GNR) (which had taken over the EH&LR) in rural Middlesex. The station was on a line from Finsbury Park to Edgware via Highgate.

The EH&LR was built as a double track formation, but only a single track was laid, with the intention of doubling the track when business developed. However, when the GNR opened a branch from Finchley Central to High Barnet in April 1872 traffic on that section was greater, and the second track was never laid from Finchley Central to Edgware. For most of its history the service between those two stations was operated as a shuttle.

The station opened as Mill Hill and was given its present name in 1928.

The area around Mill Hill East has still the air of a village about it. It is quiet and very green with plenty of parks and golf courses to hand.

Parts of the eastern side of Mill Hill have recently undergone redevelopment, with the old gas works replaced by a Waitrose supermarket and housing developments. The small local retail area at Mill Hill East is at “Kelly’s Corner” (officially Holders Hill Circus) east of the station. To the south of Mill Hill East are Copthall and Holders Hill.

The United Kingdom / Carl Zeiss / Bausch & Lomb Optical Works was established at Mill Hill East in 1912 and demolished in about 1990, to be replaced by a large building owned by the Jehovah Witnesses, to complement their nearby Watchtower House built on the site of the former Bittacy House.

Mill Hill East is the least used station on the Northern Line with only 10,000 passengers per week.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Print-friendly version of this page