Print-friendly version of this page Portobello Road
is split into two sections by the Westway
/Hammersmith and City line.
Like the southern end of Portobello Road
, the northern section began its life as a country track called Green Lane. It became Portobello Lane after Portobello Farm
, itself renamed after a famous navel battle.
The northern W10 section developed a different character from the southern W11 end - while the famous market stretches into both postcodes, the northern end is much more local and somewhat less antiques-based. At the far northern end the road develops into a residential character.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
3 Acklam Road From the 19th century up until 1965, number 3 Acklam Road, near the Portobello Road junction, was occupied by the Bedford family. 6 East Row, W10 6 East Row was a house along East Row which was demolished in 1960 as part of slum clearance in the area. Albert Hotel The Albert Hotel stood on the corner of All Saints Road and Westbourne Park Road. All Saints Notting Hill All Saints church was designed by the Victorian Gothic revival pioneer William White, who was also a mountaineer, Swedish gymnastics enthusiast and anti-shaving campaigner. Clayton Arms A pub which was situated halfway down West Row in Kensal Town. Duke of Cornwall The Duke of Cornwall pub morphed into the uber-trendy "The Ledbury" restaurant. Exmoor Street (1950) Photographed just after the Second World War, looking north along Exmoor Street. Gas Light and Coke Company The gasometers of the Gas Light and Coke company dominated North Kensington until demolition in the late 20th century. Harrow Road (1920s) Harrow Road in the 1920s, looking south east towards the Prince of Wales pub and the Emmanuel Church spire. Jack of Newbury The Jack of Newbury stood at the corner of East Row and Kensal Road until it was bombed on 2 October 1940. Kensal House There are two Kensal Houses in London W10 - this was the original Kensington Hippodrome The Kensington Hippodrome was a racecourse built in Notting Hill, London, in 1837, by entrepreneur John Whyte. Ladbroke Grove Ladbroke Grove is named after James Weller Ladbroke, who developed the Ladbroke Estate in the mid nineteenth century, until then a largely rural area on the western edges of London. Ladbroke Grove Ladbroke Grove on the corner of St Charles Sqaure taken outside the Eagle public house, looking north, just prior to the outbreak of the Second World War. Middle Row School Middle Row School was established in the late 19th century to provide education to the children of Kensal New Town. North Kensington Library North Kensington Library opened in 1891 and was described as one of London’s finest public libraries. Orme’s Green Ormes Green was the former name for this part of Westbourne Park. Portobello Arms The Portobello Arms was a former pub in Kensal Town, established in 1842. Portobello Farm Portobello Farm House was approached along Turnpike Lane, sometimes referred to as Green’s Lane, a track leading from Kensington Gravel Pits towards a wooden bridge over the canal. Portobello Green Portobello Green features a shopping arcade under the Westway along Thorpe Close, an open-air market under the canopy, and community gardens. Queen’s Park Library Queen’s Park Library was built to improve the minds of the new Queen’s Park Estate residents. Rackham Street, eastern end (1950) The bombing of the Second World War meant that some whole streets were wiped off the future map. Rackham Street, in London W10, was one of them. Ridler’s Tyre Yard Ridler's Tyres was situated in a part of Blechynden Street which no longer exists St Charles Hospital The St Marylebone workhouse infirmary was opened in 1881 on Rackham Street, North Kensington and received a congratulatory letter from Florence Nightingale. St Martins Mission Saint Martin's Mission was originally known as Rackham Hall as it was situated on Rackham Street. St. Joseph’s Home St Joseph's dominated a part of Portobello Road up until the 1980s. The Apollo The Apollo pub was located at 18 All Saints Road, on the southeast corner of the Lancaster Road junction. The Eagle The Eagle, on the corner of Ladbroke Grove and Telford Road. The Flora The Flora is situated on Harrow Road, W10. The Mitre The Mitre was situated at 62 Golborne Road. The Plough From the sixteenth century onwards, the Plough stood beside the Harrow Road. Wedlake Street Baths In a time when most had somewhere to live but few had somewhere to wash at home, public baths were the place to go... Western Arms The Western Arms was a pub situated on the corner of Ladbroke Grove and Kensal Road. Western Iron Works The Western Iron Works was the foundry business of James Bartle and Co. Windsor Castle The Windsor Castle dates from the 1820s but its main incarnation was as a classic Victorian public house, seminal in 1970s musical history. Absalom Road, W10 Absalom Road was the former name for the western section of Golborne Gardens. Acklam Road, W10 Acklam Road was the centre of much action during the building of the Westway. Adair Road, W10 Adair Road is a street on the Kensal Town/North Kensington borders. Adair Tower, W10 Adair Tower is a post-war tower block on the corner of Adair Road and Appleford Road, W10. All Saints Road, W11 Built between 1852-61, All Saints Road is named after All Saints Church on Talbot Road. Alperton Street, W10 Alperton Street is the first alphabetically named street in the Queen’s Park Estate, W10. Appleford Road, W10 Appleford Road was transformed post-war from a Victorian street to one dominated by housing blocks. Artesian Road, W11 Artesian Road lies just over the boundary into Paddington from Notting Hill. Arundel Gardens, W11 Arundel Gardens was built towards the end of the development of the Ladbroke Estate, in the early 1860s. Ascot House, W9 Ascot House was built as part of the GLC’s small Windsor estate. Blenheim Crescent, W11 Blenheim Crescent one of the major thoroughfares in Notting Hill - indeed it features in the eponymous film. Bomore Road, W11 Bomore Road survived post-war redevelopment with a slight change in alignment. Bosworth Road, W10 Bosworth Road was the first street built as Kensal New Town started to expand to the east. Bramley Mews, W10 Bramley Mews become part of a redelevopment of the area north of Latimer Road station in the 1960s. Bramley Road, W10 Bramley Road is the street in which Latimer Road station is situated. Bruce Close, W10 Bruce Close replaced the earlier Rackham Street in this part of W10. Calverley Street, W10 Calverley Street, one of the lost streets of W10 is now underneath a motorway slip road. Canal Way, W10 Canal Way was built on the site of the Kensal Gas Works. Codrington Mews, W11 This attractive L-shaped mews lies off Blenheim Crescent between Kensington Park Road and Ladbroke Grove. Colville Gardens, W11 Colville Gardens was laid out in the 1870s by the builder George Frederick Tippett, who developed much of the rest of the neighbourhood. Cornwall Crescent, W11 Cornwall Crescent belongs to the third and final period of building on the Ladbroke estate. Cornwall Road, W11 Cornwall Road was once the name for the westernmost part of Westbourne Park Road. Darfield Way, W10 Darfield Way, in the Latimer Road area, was built over a number of older streets as the Westway was built. Darfield Way, W10 Darfield Way is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area. Droop Street, W10 Droop Street is one of the main east-west streets of the Queen’s Park Estate. East Mews, W10 East Mews was lost when the Westway was built. It lies partially under the modern Darfield Way. East Row, W10 East Row is a road with a long history within Kensal Town. Edenham Mews, W10 Edenham Mews was the site of a youth club and day nursery after the Second World War until demolition. Elgin Crescent, W11 Elgin Crescent runs from Portobello Road west across Ladbroke Grove and then curls round to the south to join Clarendon Road. Fallodon House, W11 Fallodon House was planned in 1973 to replace housing between Tavistock Crescent, Tavistock Road, and St Luke’s Road. Faraday Road, W10 Faraday Road is one of the ’scientist’ roadnames of North Kensington. Farrant Street, W10 Farrant Street is the missing link in the alphabetti spaghetti of the streetnames of the Queen’s Park Estate Golborne Road, W10 Golborne Road, heart of North Kensington, was named after Dean Golbourne, at one time vicar of St. John’s Church in Paddington. Great Western Road, W9 Great Western Road’s northernmost section was created after a bridge was constructed over the canal. Harrow Road, W9 Harrow Road is a main road running through Paddington, Willesden and beyond. Hewer Street, W10 Built as part of the St Charles’ estate in the 1870s, it originally between Exmoor Street to a former street called Raymede Street. Hormead Road, W9 Hormead Road was named in 1885 although its site was still a nursery ground until 1891. Humber Drive, W10 Humber Drive is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area. Huxley Street, W10 Huxley Street is the only street beginning with an H on the Queen’s Park Estate. Kensal House, W10 Kensal House (1936), was designed to show off the power of gas and originally had no electricity at all. Kensal Road, W10 Kensal Road, originally called Albert Road, is the heart of Kensal Town. Kingsdown Close, W10 Kingsdown Close is one of a select number of roads in London W10 lying south of Westway. Ladbroke Crescent, W11 Ladbroke Crescent belongs to the third and final great period of building on the Ladbroke estate and the houses were constructed in the 1860s. Ladbroke Grove, W10 Ladbroke Grove runs from Notting Hill in the south to Kensal Green in the north, and straddles the W10 and W11 postal districts. Lavie Mews, W10 Lavie Mews, W10 was a mews connecting Portobello Road and Murchison Road. Ledbury Road, W11 Ledbury Road is split between W2 and W11, the postal line intersecting the street. Lionel Mews, W10 Lionel Mews was built around 1882 and probably disappeared in the 1970s. Lockton Street, W11 Lockton Street, just south of Latimer Road station is so insignificant that nary a soul know’s it’s there... Malton Mews, W10 Malton Mews, formerly Oxford Mews, runs south off of Cambridge Gardens. Manchester Road, W10 Manchester Road is one of the lost streets of North Kensington, now buried beneath a roundabout. Maple Walk, W10 Post war development on the Queen’s Park Estate created some plant-based street names. Middle Row, W10 Middle Row is one of the original streets laid out as Kensal New Town. Munro Mews, W10 Munro Mews is a part cobbled through road that connects Wornington Road and Wheatstone Road. Oakworth Road, W10 Oakworth Road dates from the 1920s when a cottage estate was built by the council. Pring Street, W10 The unusually-named Pring Street was situated between Bard Road and Latimer Road. Rackham Street, W10 Rackham Street is a road that disappeared from the streetscape of London W10 in 1951. Raymede Street, W10 Raymede Street, after severe bomb damage in the area, disappeared after 1950. Ronan Walk, W10 Ronan Walk was one of the streets constructed in a 1970s build parallel to the Harrow Road. Shottsford, W2 Shottsford is one of the buildings of the Wessex Gardens Estate. Southern Row, W10 Southern Row was originally South Row to match the other streets in the neighbourhood. St Andrews Square, W11 St Andrews Square is a street in Notting Dale, formed when the Rillington Place area was demolished. Station Walk, W10 Station Walk is one of the streets of London in the W10 postal area. Talbot Mews, W11 Talbot Mews seems to have disappeared just after the Second Worid War. Tavistock Crescent, W11 Tavistock Crescent was where the first Notting Hill Carnival procession began on 18 September 1966. Telford Road, W10 Telford Road is one of the local streets named after prominent nineteenth century scientists. Thorpe Close, W10 Thorpe Close is a redevelopment of the former Thorpe Mews, laid waste by the building of the Westway. Trellick Tower, W10 Trellick Tower is a 31-storey block of flats designed in the Brutalist style by architect Ernő Goldfinger, completed in 1972. Walterton Road, W9 Walterton Road was the central road of a suburb which was originally proposed to called St. Peter’s Park. Waynflete Square, W10 Waynflete Square is one of the newer roads in the vicinity of Latimer Road station. Wedlake Street, W10 Wedlake Street arrived as the second wave of building in Kensal Town was completed. Westbury House, W11 Westbury House was built on the corner of Westbourne Park Road and Aldridge Road Villas in 1965. Western Dwellings, W10 Western Dwellings were a row of houses, opposite the Western Gas Works, housing some of the workers. Westway, W10 Westway is the A40(M) motorway which runs on an elevated section along the W10/W11 border. Wornington Road, W10 Wornington Road connected Golborne Road with Ladbroke Grove, though the Ladbroke end is now closed to through traffic.
North Kensington lies either side of Ladbroke Grove, W10.
North Kensington was rural until the 19th century, when it was developed as a suburb with quite large homes. By the 1880s, too many houses had been built for the upper-middle class towards whom the area was aimed. Large houses were divided into low cost flats which often degenerated into slums, as documented in the photographs of Roger Mayne.
During the 1980s, the area started to be gentrified although areas in the north west of the district at Ladbroke Grove
and Westbourne Park remain deprived and run down to this day.
Waves of immigrants have arrived for at least a century. This constant renewal of the population makes the area one of the most cosmopolitan in London.
The Notting Hill carnival was first staged in 1964 as a way for the local Afro-Caribbean communities to celebrate their own cultures and traditions. After some rough times in the 1970s and 1980s when it became associated with social protest, violence and huge controversy over policing tactics, this is now Europe’s largest carnival/festival event and a major event in the London calendar. It is staged every August over the Bank holiday weekend.