Print-friendly version of this page
Village Road is the heart of the Finchley Garden Village conservation area.
Village Road feeds into Hendon Avenue
to the north and Cyprus Avenue
There is no vehicular access from the west, although two footpaths link Village Road with Windsor Open Space
, the Brookside Walk and Holders Hill Road
beyond. The Finchley Garden Village conservation area is tightly drawn and its boundary follows the rear garden boundaries on each side of Village Road.
The land on which the road now sits was first developed in 1909.
Village Road was originally a private road and its status was ensured by means of a gate at its junction with Hendon Avenue
, while a rope or chain was used to restrict access from Cyprus Avenue
. In 1941 the central green was taken over by the local council and used for allotments during the war. Then in 1955 a metalled public road replaced the rough private track and was adopted by Finchley Borough Council.
Grass Farm Grass Farm was developed in the late 19th century. Hasmonean High School Hasmonean High School is a secondary school and sixth form with academy status for pupils from Orthodox Jewish families. Cyprus Road, N3 Cyprus Road is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Greenacres, N3 Greenacres is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Windsor Close, N3 Windsor Close is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area.
Finchley Central is a tube station which covers the central part of Finchley - an area formerly called Church End.
Finchley formed an ancient parish in the county of Middlesex, becoming a municipal borough in 1933, and has been part of Greater London since 1965.
The main road runs on a north-south axis, and is called Regents Park Road from the North Circular Road until it reaches the station, where the name changes to Ballards Lane. Its heart is the ancient district around the St Mary’s Church, where the imposing tower of Pardes House (formally Christ’s College Finchley), is a landmark. There is a public library, Church End Library and Finchley police station. Along Ballards Lane, close to the station, is a retail district with some Victorian and Edwardian shoping parade as well as modern shops including Tesco.
To the southeast, along East End Road are two institutions of note Avenue House home to the Finchley Society, and a Jewish cultural centre the Sternberg Centre. South, along Regents Park Road is College Farm the last farm in Finchley, and a statue, referred to locally as ’The Naked Lady’, but more properly called La Delivrance. Victoria Park is the home of Finchley Carnival, a large fun fair held every year in July, dating back to 1905.
Finchley Central station opened on 22 August 1867 as part of the Great Northern Railway’s line between Finsbury Park and Edgware stations. As part of London Underground’s Northern Heights plan, Northern line trains started serving the station in 1940 and main line passenger services ended in 1941.
The station was originally named ’Finchley and Hendon’.