Print-friendly version of this page
Flower Mews is a road in the NW11 postcode area
Arden Road, N3 Arden Road is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Ardwick Road, NW2 Ardwick Road was named Major Ardwick Burgess who developed the road. Church End, N3 Church End is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Creswick Walk, NW11 Creswick Walk is a 1911 cul-de-sac designed by G.L. Sutcliffe - his first in the Suburb. Cyprus Road, N3 Cyprus Road is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Finchley Road, NW2 Finchley Road runs briefly through the NW2 postcode as it passes through Childs Hill. Fitzalan Road, N3 Fitzalan Road is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Golders Green Road, NW11 Golders Green Road - known by many other names too during its history - lies along an ancient road from London to Hendon. Gravel Hill, N3 Across the junction of East End Road and Regents Park Road, Gravel Hill runs to Hendon Lane. Greenacres, N3 Greenacres is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Hogarth Hill, NW11 Hogarth Hill is a steep road connecting Willifield Way and Addison Way. Pennine Drive, NW2 Pennine Drive is the main road of the so-called ’Golders Green Estate’. The Orchard, NW11 57 flats were built in The Orchard in 1909, one of the earliest roads of Hampstead Garden Suburb. Village Road, N3 Village Road is the heart of the Finchley Garden Village conservation area. Windsor Close, N3 Windsor Close is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Wordsworth Walk, NW11 Wordsworth Walk was built between 1910 and 1911 by Herbert Welch, then aged twenty-seven.
Golders Green was a rural hamlet at the crossroads of Finchley Road and North End Road until the arrival of the tube in 1907.
Golders Green station was opened by the Charing Cross, Euston & Hampstead Railway (CCE&HR, now part of the Northern Line) on 22 June 1907. It was one of the railway's two northern terminals (the other being at Archway) and was also the site of the railway's depot.
Before World War I plans were made to extend the CCE&HR north from Golders Green to Hendon and Edgware to open up new areas of the Middlesex countryside to development and to create a source of new passengers. The war postponed the construction of the extension and work did not begin until 12 June 1922. The first section of the extension, as far as Hendon Central opened on 19 November 1923.