Latymer Gardens, N3

Road in/near Finchley Central

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.59527 -0.20588) 

Latymer Gardens, N3

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Road · Finchley Central · N3 ·
July
8
2017

Latymer Gardens is a road in the N3 postcode area




NEARBY STREETS
Allandale Avenue, N3 Allandale Avenue is a road in the N3 postcode area
Arden Road, N3 Arden Road is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area.
Bibsworth Road, N3 Bibsworth Road is named for a local manor – Bibsworth Manor.
Boltmore Close, NW4 Boltmore Close is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Broughton Avenue, N3 Broughton Avenue is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area.
Chalgrove Gardens, N3 Chalgrove Gardens is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area.
Chessington Avenue, N3 Chessington Avenue is a road in the N3 postcode area
Church End, N3 Church End is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area.
Crooked Usage, N3 Crooked Usage forms a crescent paralleling Hendon Lane.
Cumberland Gardens, NW4 Cumberland Gardens is a street in Hendon.
Cyprus Avenue, N3 Cyprus Avenue is a road in the N3 postcode area
Cyprus Gardens, N3 Cyprus Gardens is a road in the N3 postcode area
Cyprus Road, N3 Cyprus Road is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area.
Fairview Court, NW4 Fairview Court is a street in Hendon.
Fernside Court, NW4 Fernside Court is a street in Hendon.
Fitzalan Road, N3 Fitzalan Road is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area.
Freeland Park, NW4 Freeland Park is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Freston Park, N3 Freston Park is a road in the N3 postcode area
Gable House, N3 Residential block
Gravel Hill, N3 Across the junction of East End Road and Regents Park Road, Gravel Hill runs to Hendon Lane.
Great North Way, N3 Great North Way is a road in the N3 postcode area
Greenacres, N3 Greenacres is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area.
Hendon Lane, N3 Hendon Lane is one of the medieval roads of Finchley.
Holders Hill Avenue, NW4 Holders Hill Avenue is a street in Hendon.
Holders Hill Crescent, NW4 Holders Hill Crescent is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Holders Hill Drive, N3 Holders Hill Drive is a road in the N3 postcode area
Holders Hill Drive, NW4 Holders Hill Drive is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Holders Hill Gardens, NW4 Holders Hill Gardens is a street in Hendon.
Holders Hill Road, NW4 Holders Hill Road already existed by 1321.
Links Green, E4 Links Green is a road in the E4 postcode area
North Crescent, N3 North Crescent is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area.
Park Cottages, N3 Park Cottages is a road in the N3 postcode area
Rawlins Close, N3 Rawlins Close is a road in the N3 postcode area
Regency Crescent, NW4 Regency Crescent is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Regents Park Road, N3 Regents Park Road was part of the new London to Finchley turnpike.
Salisbury Avenue, N3 Salisbury Avenue is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area.
St Marys Avenue, N3 St Marys Avenue is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area.
St Michael’s Close, N3 St Michael’s Close is a road in the N3 postcode area
Timberdene, NW4 Timberdene is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Turnberry Close, NW4 Turnberry Close is a road in the NW4 postcode area
Turnberry Quay, E14 Turnberry Quay is a road in the E14 postcode area
Village Road, N3 Village Road is the heart of the Finchley Garden Village conservation area.
Waverley Grove, N3 Waverley Grove is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area.
Wickliffe Avenue, N3 Wickliffe Avenue is a road in the N3 postcode area
Windsor Close, N3 Windsor Close is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area.
Windsor Road, N3 Windsor Road is a road in the N3 postcode area


Queen's Park

Queen's Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.

The north of Queen's Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen's Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen's Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen's Park 'proper' formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen's Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.

Queen's Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett's wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen's Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queens Park are a conservation area.

There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.

Queen's Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.

Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen's Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen's Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR. As of December 2013, no mainline services calling at the station and the Watford service has been transferred to London Overground.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Shire Hall
TUM image id: 1030
Hendon House
TUM image id: 1032
Farmhouse
TUM image id: 1040
Woodstock House
TUM image id: 1050
Elephant field
TUM image id: 1052
Hendon coat of arms
TUM image id: 1053
Hoop Lane Cemetery
TUM image id: 1054
Hendon Greyhound Stadium
TUM image id: 1060
Brent Cross sewage works
TUM image id: 2372
Brent Street
TUM image id: 2385
Foster House
TUM image id: 2387
Print-friendly version of this page