Print-friendly version of this page
Queenswood Park is part of Finchley Garden Village.
The Finchley Co-Partnership Society was formed in 1908. Its aim was to initiate a development in Finchley which would "meet the increased demand of the less wealthy of the middle classes who wish for small houses with more open and artistic surroundings than are afforded by the present day stereotyped suburban development".
The site chosen was part of the Grass Park
Estate, situated off Hendon Avenue
and bounded by Holders Hill Road
, then owned by Mr J.C. Williamson. It lay in a sheltered valley to the east of the Dollis Brook on the border with Hendon. An area of about nine acres was secured, of which two and a half acres were to be devoted to common land, and a further two acres to a village green, while a private road would run through the site between Hendon Avenue
and Cyprus Avenue
. The houses were to be arranged round the green and would range in price from £350 to £650.
The Society’s scheme involved the collective ownership of the land by the residents, which was achieved by means of an issue of £5 shares, with the houses being subsequently sold on 99 year leases.
Grass Farm Grass Farm was developed in the late 19th century. Church End, N3 Church End is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Cyprus Road, N3 Cyprus Road is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Dollis Park, N3 Dollis Park runs from Regent’s Park Road to St. Mary’s School. Gravel Hill, N3 Across the junction of East End Road and Regents Park Road, Gravel Hill runs to Hendon Lane. Greenacres, N3 Greenacres is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Rectory Close, N3 Rectory Close is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Village Road, N3 Village Road is the heart of the Finchley Garden Village conservation area. Windsor Close, N3 Windsor Close is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area.
Finchley Central is a tube station which covers the central part of Finchley - an area formerly called Church End.
Finchley formed an ancient parish in the county of Middlesex, becoming a municipal borough in 1933, and has been part of Greater London since 1965.
The main road runs on a north-south axis, and is called Regents Park Road
from the North Circular Road until it reaches the station, where the name changes to Ballards Lane. Its heart is the ancient district around the St Mary’s Church, where the imposing tower of Pardes House (formally Christ’s College Finchley), is a landmark. There is a public library, Church End
Library and Finchley police station. Along Ballards Lane, close to the station, is a retail district with some Victorian and Edwardian shoping parade as well as modern shops including Tesco.
To the southeast, along East End Road are two institutions of note Avenue House home to the Finchley Society, and a Jewish cultural centre the Sternberg Centre. South, along Regents Park Road
is College Farm the last farm in Finchley, and a statue, referred to locally as ’The Naked Lady’, but more properly called La Delivrance. Victoria Park is the home of Finchley Carnival, a large fun fair held every year in July, dating back to 1905.
Finchley Central station opened on 22 August 1867 as part of the Great Northern Railway’s line between Finsbury Park and Edgware stations. As part of London Underground’s Northern Heights plan, Northern line trains started serving the station in 1940 and main line passenger services ended in 1941.
The station was originally named ’Finchley and Hendon’.