Print-friendly version of this page
Charter Way provides an exit from the eastbound A406 towards the A598 and is separated from the rest of the junction by Charter Green.
Charter Way nowadays runs for just a couple of hundred metres. It was once wider and much more important. It was the eastern terminus of the North Circular Road
The first phase of the North Circular ran from Stonebridge Park to here. At its eastern end, it curved north to merge with Regent’s Park Road - today’s Charter Way. The original plan had been for the North Circular to use a section of Regent’s Park Road northwards before branching off to the east. When the North Circular was finally extended, plans had changed and it was taken directly eastwards, leaving Charter Way stranded.
At its northern end, where it meets Regent’s Park Road, is a bronze statue officially called La Délivrance
. The statue was so positioned to mark the end of the North Circular Road
. The statue demonstrates Charter Way’s former width - its garden fence still marks the original boundary of the road. Like other of London’s arterial roads, it was a round number: 70 feet - ample for three lanes of traffic.
La Délivrance La Délivrance is a five metre-high bronze statue of a naked woman holding a sword aloft. Addison Way, NW11 Addison Way is the northernmost road in the Temple Fortune section of Hampstead Garden Suburb. Arden Road, N3 Arden Road is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Creswick Walk, NW11 Creswick Walk is a 1911 cul-de-sac designed by G.L. Sutcliffe - his first in the Suburb. Fitzalan Road, N3 Fitzalan Road is one of the streets of London in the N3 postal area. Hogarth Hill, NW11 Hogarth Hill is a steep road connecting Willifield Way and Addison Way. PO Box 4 Hillcrest Gardens is a road in the NW2 postcode area Wordsworth Walk, NW11 Wordsworth Walk was built between 1910 and 1911 by Herbert Welch, then aged twenty-seven.
Finchley Central is a tube station which covers the central part of Finchley - an area formerly called Church End.
Finchley formed an ancient parish in the county of Middlesex, becoming a municipal borough in 1933, and has been part of Greater London since 1965.
The main road runs on a north-south axis, and is called Regents Park Road from the North Circular Road until it reaches the station, where the name changes to Ballards Lane. Its heart is the ancient district around the St Mary's Church, where the imposing tower of Pardes House (formally Christ's College Finchley), is a landmark. There is a public library, Church End Library and Finchley police station. Along Ballards Lane, close to the station, is a retail district with some Victorian and Edwardian shoping parade as well as modern shops including Tesco.
To the southeast, along East End Road are two institutions of note Avenue House home to the Finchley Society, and a Jewish cultural centre the Sternberg Centre. South, along Regents Park Road is College Farm the last farm in Finchley, and a statue, referred to locally as 'The Naked Lady', but more properly called La Delivrance. Victoria Park is the home of Finchley Carnival, a large fun fair held every year in July, dating back to 1905.
Finchley Central station opened on 22 August 1867 as part of the Great Northern Railway's line between Finsbury Park and Edgware stations. As part of London Underground's Northern Heights plan, Northern line trains started serving the station in 1940 and main line passenger services ended in 1941.
The station was originally named 'Finchley and Hendon'.