Print-friendly version of this page
Reynolds Close lies off of Hampstead Way
The Hampstead Garden Suburb Act 1906 had freed Raymond Unwin, the architect, from the gridiron street pattern imposed by the Public Health Act 1875. This was subsequently extended to all estates by the Town Planning Act of 1909.Licence:
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Central Square, NW11 Central Square was the original centre of Hampstead Garden Suburb due to the further development of the Suburb in the 1920s and 1930s, it is now located towards the west. Chandos Way, NW11 Chandos Way runs off of Wellgarth Road and Britten Close, in turn, runs off Chandos Way. Corringham Road, NW11 Corringham Road is a manifestation of designer Raymond Unwin’s later ’Georgian’ phase. Hampstead Way, NW11 Hampstead Way was one of the major roads designed for Hampstead Garden Suburb. North End Way, NW3 North End Way is the name for the southernmost section of North End Road - running from Hampstead to Golders Green. Platt’s Lane, NW3 A farmhouse on the edge of the heath was enlarged by Thomas Platt before 1811 and who gave his name to the lane.
Rotherwick Road, NW11 Rotherwick Road, like Corringham Road, links Golders Green with Hampstead Garden Suburb. South Square, NW11 South Square is the name of the southern part of Central Square, Hampstead Garden Suburb. The Limes, NW3 The Limes replaced the Hare and Hounds pub which previously stood here. Turners Wood, NW11 Turner’s Wood, built in 1916, was the final road of the original Hampstead Garden Suburb before the First World War brought work to an end.
Hampstead Garden Suburb is a suburb, north of Hampstead, west of Highgate, and east of Golders Green. It is an example of early twentieth-century domestic architecture and town planning located in the London Borough of Barnet in northwest London.
The master plan was prepared by Barry Parker and Sir Raymond Unwin.