Boundary Road, NW8

Road in/near St John's Wood

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.53944 -0.18059) 

Boundary Road, NW8

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Road · St John's Wood · NW8 ·
July
13
2017

Boundary Road is a road in the NW8 postcode area




NEARBY STREETS
Abbey Road, NW8 Abbey Road, after which the Beatles album was named, runs from St John's Wood to West Hampstead.
Aberdare Gardens, NW6 This late Victorian street was probably named in compliment to Henry Bruce, Home Secretary 1868-1873, who was created 1st Baron Aberdare.
Ainsworth Way, NW8 Ainsworth Way lies at the heart of the Alexandra Road estate.
Alexandra Mews, NW8 Alexandra Mews existed between the 1850s and the 1960s.
Alexandra Road, NW8 Alexandra Road was built after the marriage of the Prince of Wales.
Avenue Road, NW3 Avenue Road dates from 1829.
Belgrave Gardens, NW8 Belgrave Gardens was originally the east side of Bolton Road.
Belsise Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Belsize Road, NW6 Belsize Road is a major road in NW6, parallel to the railway.
Besant House, NW8 Besant House is named after local Sir Walter Besant who wrote extensively about London history.
Blenheim Road, NW8 Blenheim Road is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Bolton Road, NW8 What is now Bolton Road began life as Ordnance Terrace in 1858.
Boydell Court, NW8 Boydell Court is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Carlton Hill, NW8 Carlton Hill is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Clifton Hill, NW8 Clifton Hill began as sections either side of Abbey Road - Clifton Road and Clifton Road East.
Coleridge Gardens, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Dobson Close, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Dorman Way, NW8 Dorman Way is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Fairfax Place, NW6 Fairfax Place has undergone name changes - at first Victoria Mews and then Fairfax Mews.
Fairhazel Gardens, NW6 Fairhazel Gardens runs from Broadhurst Gardens to Goldhurst Terrace.
Finchley Road, NW8 Finchley Road is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Goldhurst Terrace, NW6 Goldhurst Terrace was laid out in the late 1870s.
Greville Place, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Greville Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Hilgrove Road, NW6 Hilgrove Road was previously the western section of Adelaide Road, called Adelaide Road North.
Holtham Road, NW8 Holtham Road disappeared when replaced by the Abbey Road Estate development.
Loudoun Road, NW8 Loudoun Road, dating from the 1850s, was originally known as Bridge Road.
Marlborough Hill, NW8 Marlborough Hill is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Middle Field, NW8 Middle Field is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Mortimer Crescent, NW6 Mortimer Crescent is a notable street in Kilburn, full of literary connections.
Mortimer Crescent, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Queen’s Grove, NW8 Queen’s Grove is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Queen’s Terrace, NW8 Queen’s Terrace is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Queensmead, NW8 Queensmead is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Regency Parade, NW3 Regency Parade is a street in Hampstead.
Rossetti Mews, NW8 Rossetti Mews is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Rowley Way, NW8 Rowley Way was named after Llewellyn Rowley, Camden’s Director of Housing.
Springfield Road, NW8 Springfield Road dates from the late 1850s.
St John’s Wood Park, NW8 St John’s Wood Park is a road in the NW8 postcode area
The Marlowes, NW8 The Marlowes is a road in the NW8 postcode area


St John's Wood

St John’s Wood is an affluent district, north west of Regent’s Park.

St John’s Wood was once part of the Great Forest of Middlesex with the name deriving from its mediaeval owners, the Knights of the Order of St John of Jerusalem (Knights Hospitallers), an Augustinian order. The order took over the land from the Knights Templar in 1323.

After the Reformation and the Dissolution of monastic orders, St John’s Wood became Crown land, and Henry VIII established Royal Hunting Grounds in what became known as Marylebone Park.

Until the end of the eighteenth century, the area was agricultural.

St John’s Wood was developed from the early 19th century onwards. It was one of the first London suburbs to be developed with a large amount of low density ’villa’ housing, as opposed to the terraced housing which was the norm in London up to the 19th century. Parts of St John’s Wood have been rebuilt at a higher density but it remains one of the most expensive areas of London.

St John’s Wood is the location of Lord’s Cricket Ground and for Abbey Road Studios where The Beatles recorded.

The Rolling Stones referenced St John’s Wood in their song Play With Fire. Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones lived on Carlton Hill, at the northern edge of St John’s Wood, in the 1960s.

St John’s Wood station was opened on 20 November 1939 on a new section of deep-level tunnel constructed between Baker Street and Finchley Road when the Metropolitan Line’s services on its Stanmore branch were transferred to the Bakerloo Line. It was transferred along with the rest of the Stanmore branch to the Jubilee Line when it opened in 1979. With the opening of St John’s Wood station, two nearby stations on the Metropolitan Line were closed. These were Lord’s (which had originally been opened in 1868 as St John’s Wood Road) and Marlborough Road.

The station building is located on the corner of Acacia Road and Finchley Road. The station is the nearest one to Lord’s Cricket Ground and Abbey Road Studios. For this reason Beatles memorabilia are sold at the station.

The platform design remains the same as when opened in 1939, and was designed by Harold Stabler.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Print-friendly version of this page