Print-friendly version of this page
Albert Mews is a small cobbled mews, built in 1865
Albert Mews has an attractive arched entrance leading onto Victoria Grove
- the entrance is next to number 26 - and a gargoyle on the top of the arch.
The east side consists of ground floor garages with living accommodation on the first floor. The entrance doors are on the first floor and they are approached along a first floor balcony which runs the extent of the terrace, with steps from the ground floor at either end of the terrace.
At the rear of the mews there is a small enclave of mews houses with more garages and space for additional parking. The cobbles here must be particularly hard on stiletto shoes!
Albert Mews is part of the Inderwick Estate.
The Mews has an entrance next to 26 Victoria Grove
. The properties were built in 1865 by the Kensington builder, Charles Alden.
Gloucester Road: Where Rumpole of the Bailey hung his hat.Gloucester Road
| ||Read blog|
We have featured this location on a blog entry.
Please note that our blog will open in a new window.
is a street in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea of London. It runs north-south between Kensington Gardens
(at which point it is known as Palace Gate
) and the Old Brompton Road
at the south end. At its intersection with Cromwell Road
is Gloucester Road
tube station, close to which there are several pubs, restaurants, many hotels and St. Stephen's Church (built in 1867 and, notably, the church warden of which was the poet T. S. Eliot).
The road is named after Maria, Duchess of Gloucester and Edinburgh who built a house there in 1805. It was earlier called Hog Moore Lane (1612), that is 'lane through marshy ground where hogs are kept', a name that was still used until about 1850.
is the residence (in the form of 25B Froxbury Court) of the fictional barrister Horace Rumpole of John Mortimer's Rumpole of the Bailey series of short stories.
underground station is in two parts: sub-surface platforms, opened in 1868 by the Metropolitan Railway as part of the company's extension of the Inner Circle route from Paddington to South Kensington and to Westminster, and deep-level platforms opened in 1906 by the Great Northern, Piccadilly and Brompton Railway. A variety of underground and mainline services have operated over the sub-surface tracks. The deep-level platforms have remained largely unaltered. A disused sub-surface platform features periodic art installations as part of Transport for London's Art on the Underground