Eliot Mews, NW8

Road in/near St John's Wood

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.53302 -0.18145) 

Eliot Mews, NW8

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Road · St John's Wood · NW8 ·
July
17
2017

Eliot Mews is a road in the NW8 postcode area




NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Kilburn Bridge Farm Kilburn Bridge Farm stood beside Watling Street until the late 1830s.
Maida Vale Maida Vale took its name from a public house named after John Stuart, Count of Maida, which opened on the Edgware Road soon after the Battle of Maida, 1806.
St John's Wood St John’s Wood is an affluent district, north west of Regent’s Park.

NEARBY STREETS
Abbey Gardens, NW8 Abbey Gardens is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Abercorn Close, NW8 Abercorn Close is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Abercorn Place, NW8 Abercorn Place is on the Harrow School Estate and is named after James Hamilton, 1st Duke of Abercorn, a governor of the school.
Abercorn Walk, NW8 Abercorn Walk is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Alma Square, NW8 Alma Square is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Aubrey Place, NW8 Aubrey Place is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Barbara Brosnan Court, NW8 Barbara Brosnan Court is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Belgrave Gardens, NW8 Belgrave Gardens was originally the east side of Bolton Road.
Blenheim Road, NW8 Blenheim Road is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Blenheim Terrace, NW8 Blenheim Terrace is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Carlton Hill, NW8 Carlton Hill is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Carlton Vale, W9 Carlton Vale is a street in Maida Vale.
Circus Road, NW8 Circus Road is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Clifton Hill, NW8 Clifton Hill began as sections either side of Abbey Road - Clifton Road and Clifton Road East.
Denning Close, NW8 Denning Close is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Elgin Mews South, W9 Elgin Mews South is a street in Maida Vale.
Elm Tree Road, NW8 Elm Tree Road is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Garden Road, NW8 Garden Road is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Greville Place, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Greville Place, W9 Greville Place is a street in Maida Vale.
Greville Road, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Grove End Road, NW8 Grove End Road is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Hall Road, NW8 Hall Road is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Hamilton Gardens, NW8 Hamilton Gardens is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Hamilton Terrace, NW8 Hamilton Terrace is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Hill Road, NW8 Hill Road is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Hillside Close, NW8 Hillside Close is a cul-de-sac off of Carlton Hill.
Lanark Mews, W9 Lanark Mews is a road in the W9 postcode area
Lanark Road, W9 Lanark Road is a street in Maida Vale.
Langford Place, NW8 Langford Place is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Maida Vale, W9 Maida Vale is the name of part of the A5 road running through northwest London and ultimately takes its name from a pub.
Marlborough Place, NW8 Marlborough Place is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Nugent Terrace, NW8 Nugent Terrace is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Queen’s Terrace, NW8 Queen’s Terrace is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Regents Mews, NW8 Regents Mews is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Ryder’s Terrace, NW8 Ryder’s Terrace is a road in the NW8 postcode area
St. John’s Hall Flats, NW8 St. John’s Hall Flats is a road in the NW8 postcode area
The Lane, NW8 The Lane is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Vale Close, W9 Vale Close is a street in Maida Vale.
Violet Hill, NW8 This is a street in the NW8 postcode area
Waverley Place, NW8 Waverley Place is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Wellesley Court, W9 Wellesley Court is a street in Maida Vale.


St John's Wood

St John’s Wood is an affluent district, north west of Regent’s Park.

St John’s Wood was once part of the Great Forest of Middlesex with the name deriving from its mediaeval owners, the Knights of the Order of St John of Jerusalem (Knights Hospitallers), an Augustinian order. The order took over the land from the Knights Templar in 1323.

After the Reformation and the Dissolution of monastic orders, St John’s Wood became Crown land, and Henry VIII established Royal Hunting Grounds in what became known as Marylebone Park.

Until the end of the eighteenth century, the area was agricultural.

St John’s Wood was developed from the early 19th century onwards. It was one of the first London suburbs to be developed with a large amount of low density ’villa’ housing, as opposed to the terraced housing which was the norm in London up to the 19th century. Parts of St John’s Wood have been rebuilt at a higher density but it remains one of the most expensive areas of London.

St John’s Wood is the location of Lord’s Cricket Ground and for Abbey Road Studios where The Beatles recorded.

The Rolling Stones referenced St John’s Wood in their song Play With Fire. Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones lived on Carlton Hill, at the northern edge of St John’s Wood, in the 1960s.

St John’s Wood station was opened on 20 November 1939 on a new section of deep-level tunnel constructed between Baker Street and Finchley Road when the Metropolitan Line’s services on its Stanmore branch were transferred to the Bakerloo Line. It was transferred along with the rest of the Stanmore branch to the Jubilee Line when it opened in 1979. With the opening of St John’s Wood station, two nearby stations on the Metropolitan Line were closed. These were Lord’s (which had originally been opened in 1868 as St John’s Wood Road) and Marlborough Road.

The station building is located on the corner of Acacia Road and Finchley Road. The station is the nearest one to Lord’s Cricket Ground and Abbey Road Studios. For this reason Beatles memorabilia are sold at the station.

The platform design remains the same as when opened in 1939, and was designed by Harold Stabler.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Cedars
TUM image id: 1125
West Hampstead Overgound
TUM image id: 1127
West End Park, 1870s
TUM image id: 1135
1830 map of Westbourne Park
TUM image id: 1138
Earlsfields
TUM image id: 1145
Estate map of West Emd
TUM image id: 1147
Maygrove Peace Park
TUM image id: 1152
Print-friendly version of this page