St John’s Wood Park, NW8

Road in/near St John's Wood

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.53968 -0.17386) 

St John’s Wood Park, NW8

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Remove markers
Road · St John's Wood · NW8 ·
July
21
2017

St John’s Wood Park is a road in the NW8 postcode area




NEARBY STREETS
Acacia Road, NW8 Acacia Road dates from the 1830s.
Alexandra Road, NW8 Alexandra Road was built after the marriage of the Prince of Wales.
Avenue Road, NW3 Avenue Road dates from 1829.
Avenue Road, NW8 Avenue Road was an important road on the Eyre estate.
Belsize Road, NW6 Belsize Road is a major road in NW6, parallel to the railway.
Blenheim Road, NW8 Blenheim Road is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Boundary Road, NW8 Boundary Road is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Boydell Court, NW8 Boydell Court is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Briary Close, NW3 Briary Close is a street in Hampstead.
Coleridge Gardens, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Dobson Close, NW6 Street/road in London NW6
Dorman Way, NW8 Dorman Way is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Elsworthy Road, NW3 Elsworthy Road is a street in Hampstead.
Elsworthy Road, NW8 Elsworthy Road is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Fairfax Place, NW6 Fairfax Place has undergone name changes - at first Victoria Mews and then Fairfax Mews.
Fairfax Road, NW6 Fairfax Road runs south from the Finchley Road to Belsize Road.
Finchley Road, NW8 Finchley Road is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Goldhurst Terrace, NW6 Goldhurst Terrace was laid out in the late 1870s.
Harben Road, NW6 Harben Road was first known as Albion Road.
Harley Road, NW3 Harley Road is a street in Hampstead.
Hawtrey Road, NW3 Hawtrey Road is a street in Hampstead.
Henstridge Place, NW8 Henstridge Place is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Hilgrove Road, NW6 Hilgrove Road was previously the western section of Adelaide Road, called Adelaide Road North.
Hornby Close, NW3 Hornby Close is a street in Hampstead.
Huson Close, NW3 Huson Close is a street in Hampstead.
Loudoun Road, NW8 Loudoun Road, dating from the 1850s, was originally known as Bridge Road.
Lower Merton Rise, NW3 Lower Merton Rise is a street in Hampstead.
Marlborough Hill, NW8 Marlborough Hill is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Middle Field, NW8 Middle Field is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Norfolk Road, NW8 Norfolk Road is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Ordnance Hill, NW8 Ordnance Hill is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Queen’s Grove, NW8 Queen’s Grove is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Queen’s Terrace, NW8 Queen’s Terrace is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Queensmead, NW8 Queensmead is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Radlett Place, NW8 Radlett Place was formerly called Regent Villa Mews.
Regency Parade, NW3 Regency Parade is a street in Hampstead.
Rossetti Mews, NW8 Rossetti Mews is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Rudgwick Terrace, NW8 Rudgwick Terrace is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Springfield Road, NW8 Springfield Road dates from the late 1850s.
Swiss Terrace, NW3 Swiss Terrace connects Belsize Road with the Swiss Cottage junction.
The Marlowes, NW8 The Marlowes is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Townshend Estate, NW8 Townshend Estate is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Townshend Road, NW8 Townshend Road is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Wadham Gardens, NW3 Wadham Gardens is a road in the NW3 postcode area
Winchester Road, NW3 Winchester Road is named after the first Provost of Eton, William Waynflete Bishop of Winchester.
Woronzow Road, NW8 Woronzow Road is a road in the NW8 postcode area


St John's Wood

St John’s Wood is an affluent district, north west of Regent’s Park.

St John’s Wood was once part of the Great Forest of Middlesex with the name deriving from its mediaeval owners, the Knights of the Order of St John of Jerusalem (Knights Hospitallers), an Augustinian order. The order took over the land from the Knights Templar in 1323.

After the Reformation and the Dissolution of monastic orders, St John’s Wood became Crown land, and Henry VIII established Royal Hunting Grounds in what became known as Marylebone Park.

Until the end of the eighteenth century, the area was agricultural.

St John’s Wood was developed from the early 19th century onwards. It was one of the first London suburbs to be developed with a large amount of low density ’villa’ housing, as opposed to the terraced housing which was the norm in London up to the 19th century. Parts of St John’s Wood have been rebuilt at a higher density but it remains one of the most expensive areas of London.

St John’s Wood is the location of Lord’s Cricket Ground and for Abbey Road Studios where The Beatles recorded.

The Rolling Stones referenced St John’s Wood in their song Play With Fire. Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones lived on Carlton Hill, at the northern edge of St John’s Wood, in the 1960s.

St John’s Wood station was opened on 20 November 1939 on a new section of deep-level tunnel constructed between Baker Street and Finchley Road when the Metropolitan Line’s services on its Stanmore branch were transferred to the Bakerloo Line. It was transferred along with the rest of the Stanmore branch to the Jubilee Line when it opened in 1979. With the opening of St John’s Wood station, two nearby stations on the Metropolitan Line were closed. These were Lord’s (which had originally been opened in 1868 as St John’s Wood Road) and Marlborough Road.

The station building is located on the corner of Acacia Road and Finchley Road. The station is the nearest one to Lord’s Cricket Ground and Abbey Road Studios. For this reason Beatles memorabilia are sold at the station.

The platform design remains the same as when opened in 1939, and was designed by Harold Stabler.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Print-friendly version of this page