Print-friendly version of this page
Penfold Place is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Hyett's hand-drawn 1807 map William Hyett produced an amazingly accurate map of the London countryside in 1807, using just pen and paper. Ashbridge Street, NW8 Ashbridge Street is named after Arthur Ashbridge, District Surveyor for Marylebone between 1884–1918. Ashmill Street, NW8 Ashmill Street was formerly owned by the Portman estate and named for Ash Mill in Devon where the family owned land. Cato Street, W1H Cato Street is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area. Homer Row, W1H Homer Row is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area. Homer Street, W1H Homer Street is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area. Lisson Grove, NW1 The southern end of Lisson Grove was the location of a hamlet and open space, both called Lisson Green. Market Place, W1H Market Place is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area. Paddington Green, W2 Paddington Green is a surviving fragment of the original rural fabric of the area. Praed Street, W2 Praed Street was named after William Praed, chairman of the company which built the canal basin which lies just to its north.
Edgware Road station was part of the world's first underground railway when it was opened as part of the Metropolitan Railway between Paddington and Farringdon on 1 October 1863.
The main Edgware Road
station now serves the Circle, District and Hammersmith & City lines.
A second Edgware Road
station was opened on 15 June 1907 by the Baker Street and Waterloo Railway (BS&WR, now the Bakerloo line) when it extended its line from the temporary northern terminus at Marylebone. In common with other early stations of the lines owned by the Underground Electric Railways Company of London, that station was designed by architect Leslie Green with an ox-blood red glazed terracotta façade.