Print-friendly version of this page
Bishop’s Grove is a road in the N2 postcode area
Aylmer Road, N2 Aylmer Road is one of the streets of London in the N2 postal area. Bedford Road, N2 Bedford Road is one of the streets of London in the N2 postal area. Brim Hill, N2 Brim Hill is one of the streets of London in the N2 postal area. Chalton Drive, N2 Chalton Drive is one of the streets of London in the N2 postal area. Chapel Court, N2 Chapel Court was originally built as Chapel Street and lead in those days to the Great North Road. Church Lane, N2 Church Lane runs from East End Road to the Great North Road. Church Mount, N2 Church Mount is one of the streets of London in the N2 postal area. Deanery Close, N2 Deanery Close is one of the streets of London in the N2 postal area. Deansway, N2 Deansway is one of the streets of London in the N2 postal area. Devon Rise, N2 Devon Rise is one of the streets of London in the N2 postal area. East End Road, N2 East End Road, linking East End and the southern section of the Great North Road with Church End, was the main east-west road in Finchley. Fairlawn Avenue, N2 Fairlawn Avenue was built over the site of two adjacent large properties - Fairlawn House and Cranleigh House. Fortis Green, N2 Fortis Green (Road) is one of the ancient east-west routes of this area of Middlesex. Hertford Road, N2 Hertford Road is one of the streets of London in the N2 postal area. Ingram Road, N2 Ingram Road is one of the streets of London in the N2 postal area. Leopold Road, N2 Leopold Road is one of the streets of London in the N2 postal area. Lincoln Road, N2 Lincoln Road is one of the streets built on the Park Hall Estate. Market Place, N2 Market Place developed from Finchley’s Hogmarket - so named by 1897. Norrice Lea, N2 Norrice Lea is one of the streets of London in the N2 postal area. Park Road, N2 Park Road is one of the streets of London in the N2 postal area. Prospect Place, N2 Prospect Place was built in 1825 to link Cuckolds Haven with East End Road. Pulham Avenue, N2 Pulham Avenue was built in the grounds of a house called Elmshurst. The Walks, N2 The Walks is one of the streets of London in the N2 postal area. Trinity Road, N2 Trinity Road is one of the streets of London in the N2 postal area. Vivian Way, N2 Vivian Way is one of the streets of London in the N2 postal area.
Queen's Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.
The north of Queen's Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen's Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen's Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen's Park 'proper' formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen's Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.
Queen's Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett's wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen's Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queens Park are a conservation area.
There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.
Queen's Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.
Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen's Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen's Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR. As of December 2013, no mainline services calling at the station and the Watford service has been transferred to London Overground.