Print-friendly version of this page
Albion Mews is a cobbled cul-de-sac that is approached through an entrance under a building on Albion Street
The Mews is one of a number of mews called Albion orginally. There was an Albion Mews North, an Albion Mews West and this one before the others were renamed.
Albion Mews is part of the Church Commissioners’ Hyde Park
Estate, and Westminster City Council’s Bayswater Conservation Area.
The Mews contains 16 properties used for residential purposes. The Mews runs approximately North-South in similar configuration to Archery Close
, another original/surviving Mews around the corner, off Connaught Street
. The Mews originally provided stable/ coach house accommodation for the larger houses in Albion Street
. Conservation Area controls now apply to new development in the Mews.
Church of the Annunciation The Church of the Annunciation, Marble Arch, is a Church of England parish church designed by Sir Walter Tapper. It is a Grade II* listed building. Fountains Abbey The Fountains Abbey was opened in 1824 and quickly became a popular meeting place for locals. Marble Arch Marble Arch is a 19th-century white marble faced triumphal arch. Odeon Marble Arch The Odeon Marble Arch (known as the Regal 1928-1945) was a cinema located opposite Marble Arch monument at the top of Park Lane, with its main entrance on Edgware Road. St Georges Fields St George’s Fields are a former burial ground of St George’s, Hanover Square, lying between Connaught Street and Bayswater Road. Tyburn Tyburn was a village of Middlesex close to the current location of Marble Arch and the southern end of Edgware Road.
Albion Street, W2 Albion Street was laid out over the Pightle field in the late 1820s. Connaught Square, W2 Connaught Square was the first square of city houses to be built in the Bayswater area. Hyde Park Square, W2 Hyde Park Square was part of ’Tyburnia’ - planned in 1827 by Samuel Pepys Cockerell for the Bishop of London’s Estate Marble Arch, W1H Marble Arch is a major road junction in the West End, surrounding the monument of the same name.
Marble Arch station was opened on 30 July 1900 by the Central London Railway.
Like all the original stations on the CLR, Marble Arch
was served by lifts to the platforms but the station was reconstructed in the early 1930s to accommodate escalators. This saw the closure of the original station building, designed by the architect Harry Bell Measures, that was situated on the corner of Quebec Street and Oxford Street, and a replacement sub-surface ticket hall opened further to the west. The new arrangements came into use on 15 August 1932. The original surface building was later demolished.
The platforms, originally lined in plain white tiles, were refitted with decorative vitreous enamel panels in 1985. The panel graphics were designed by Annabel Grey.
The station was modernised in 2010 resulting in new finishes in all areas of the station, apart from the retention of various of the decorative enamel panels at platform level.