Print-friendly version of this page Alexander Street, W2 Alexander Street was built in 1853 by Alexander Hall of Watergate House, Sussex. Ansdell Terrace, W8 Ansdell Terrace is a cul-de-sac off of Ansdell Street and was previously known as St Albans Road North.
Astwood Mews, SW7 Astwood Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. Ball Street, W8 Ball Street was created by the Kensington Improvement Scheme of 1868-71, carried out by the Metropolitan Board of Works.
Bolney Gate, SW7 Bolney Gate is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. Derry Street, W8 Derry Street formerly known as King Street and laid out in the mid-1730s. Gloucester Road, SW7 Gloucester Road is a main street in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. Grenville Place, SW7 Grenville Place connects Cornwall Gardens and Launceston Place in the north with Cromwell Road in the south. Hogarth Road, SW5 Hogarth Road is one of the streets of London in the SW5 postal area. Jay Mews, SW7 Jay Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. Kensington Court Gardens Kensington Court Gardens is a late Victorian mansion block, completed in 1889, near to Kensington Palace and Gardens. Kensington Palace Gardens, W8 Kensington Palace Gardens is a street in west central London with some of the most expensive properties in the world. Kenway Road, SW5 Kenway Road is one of the streets of London in the SW5 postal area. Kynance Mews, SW7 Kynance Mews consists of 33 residential properties on a mews road which starts at Gloucester Road and ends in a cul-de-sac. Leinster Square, W2 Leinster Square, along with Prince’s Square, was begun in 1856 and finished in 1864 Orme Square, W2 Orme Square is named after Edward Orme, formerly a printseller in Bond Street. Orsett Terrace, W2 Orsett Terrace combined with Orsett Place to form one street in Paddington. Ossington Street, W2 Ossington Street leads from Moscow Road at its north end to the Bayswater Road at its south end. Osten Mews, SW7 Osten Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. Palace Court, W2 Palace Court was built in the 1880s to connect the Bayswater Road to Moscow Road. Palace Gate, W8 Palace Gate was previously part of Gloucester Road and developed in the 1860s Porchester Square, W2 Begun in 1850 and completed between 1855 and 1858, Porchester Square was one of the last areas of Bayswater to be built. Queens Gate, SW7 Queens Gate is one of the streets of London in the SW7 postal area. Queensborough Terrace, W2 Queensborough Terrace was built by the grandson of John Aldridge in the 1860s on part of the Aldridge lands. Stanhope Gardens, SW7 Stanhope Gardens was built in the 1860s in developments following the Great Exhibition of 1851. Young Street, W8 Young Street, named after the developer of Kensington Square, was in use as a road by 1685.
Kensington is a district of West London, England within the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, located west of Charing Cross.
The focus of the area is Kensington High Street, a busy commercial centre with many shops, typically upmarket. The street was declared London's second best shopping street in February 2005 thanks to its range and number of shops.
The edges of Kensington are not well-defined; in particular, the southern part of Kensington blurs into Chelsea, which has a similar architectural style. To the west, a transition is made across the West London railway line and Earl's Court Road further south into other districts, whilst to the north, the only obvious dividing line is Holland Park Avenue, to the north of which is the similar district of Notting Hill.
Kensington is, in general, an extremely affluent area, a trait that it now shares with its neighbour to the south, Chelsea. The area has some of London's most expensive streets and garden squares.
Kensington is also very densely populated; it forms part of the most densely populated local government district (the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea) in the United Kingdom. This high density is not formed from high-rise buildings; instead, it has come about through the subdivision of large mid-rise Victorian and Georgian terraced houses (generally of some four to six floors) into flats.