Print-friendly version of this page 25 Park Lane 25 Park Lane was the London residence of Sir Philip Sassoon. Down Street Down Street, also known as Down Street (Mayfair), is a disused station on the London Underground, located in Mayfair. Londonderry House Londonderry House was an aristocratic townhouse situated on Park Lane. Pickering Place, SW1Y Thought to be the smallest public open space in London, Pickering Place is perhaps most famous for being the location of the last public duel in England. RAF Bomber Command Memorial The Royal Air Force Bomber Command Memorial is a memorial commemorating the crews of RAF Bomber Command who embarked on missions during the Second World War. Royal Aeronautical Society The Royal Aeronautical Society, also known as the RAeS, is a British-founded multidisciplinary professional institution dedicated to the global aerospace community. Royal Air Force Club The Royal Air Force Club (often referred to as the RAF Club) is situated at 128 Piccadilly. Shepherd Market Shepherd Market was described by Arthur Bingham Walkley in 1925 as one of the oddest incongruities in London. Adams Row, W1K On the Grosvenor estate, Adams Row extends from South Audley Street to Carlos Place. Air Street, W1B Air Street’s name is believed to be a corruption of ‘Ayres’, after Thomas Ayre, a local brewer and resident in the 17th century. Air Street, W1B Air Street was the most westerly street in London when newly built in 1658. Albany Courtyard, SW1Y The courtyard is named after Prince Frederick, Duke of York and Albany, who in 1791 purchased Melbourne House which stood on this site. Albany, W1S The Albany is an apartment complex in Piccadilly, divided into apartments in 1802. Albemarle Street, W1S Albemarle Street takes its name from the second Duke of Albermarle, son of General Monk. Archibald Mews, W1J Archibald Mews was formerly John Court, after local landowner John, Lord Berkeley. Arlington Street, SW1A Arlington Street is named after Henry Bennet, 1st Earl of Arlington, 17th century statesman and local landowner. Berkeley Square, W1J Berkeley Square was originally laid out in the mid 18th century by architect William Kent. Bolton Street, W1J Bolton Street runs from Curzon Street in the north to Piccadilly in the south. Brick Street, W1J Brick Street is one of the streets of London in the W1J postal area. Bruton Lane, W1S Bruton Lane is one of the streets of London in the W1J postal area. Burlington Arcade, SW1Y Burlington Arcade is a covered shopping arcade, 179 metres in length, that runs from Piccadilly to Burlington Gardens. Burlington Gardens, W1J Burlington Gardens, with houses dating from 1725, was laid out on land that was once part of the Burlington Estate. Bury Street, SW1A Bury Street runs north-to-south from Jermyn Street to King Street, crossing Ryder Street. Bury Street, SW1Y Bury Street runs north-to-south from Jermyn Street to King Street, crossing Ryder Street. Carlos Place, W1 Carlos Place is one of the streets of London in the W1K postal area. Church Place, W1J Church Place is one of the streets of London in the SW1Y postal area. Cork Street, W1S Cork Street, on the Burlington Estate, was named after Richard Boyle, 3rd Earl of Burlington and 4th Earl of Cork. Derby Street, W1J Derby Street is one of the streets of London in the W1J postal area. Dover Street, W1S Dover Street is one of the streets of London in the W1S postal area. Down Street, W1J Down Street is one of the streets of London in the W1J postal area. Eagle Place, SW1Y Eagle Place is one of the streets of London in the SW1Y postal area. Farm Street, W1J Farm Street is one of the streets of London in the W1J postal area. Hay Hill, W1S Hay Hill is one of the streets of London in the W1J postal area. Hays Mews, W1J Hays Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1J postal area. Hill Street, W1J Hill Street is one of the streets of London in the W1J postal area. King Street, SW1Y King Street is one of the streets of London in the SW1Y postal area. Market Mews, W1J Market Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1J postal area. Masons Yard, SW1Y Masons Yard is one of the streets of London in the SW1Y postal area. Mount Street, W1K Mount Street is one of the streets of London in the W1K postal area. Old Bond Street, W1J Old Bond Street was named for Sir Thomas Bond, a property developer from Peckham who laid out a number of streets in this part of the West End. Ormond Yard, SW1Y Ormond Yard is one of the streets of London in the SW1Y postal area. Park Place, SW1A Park Place is one of the streets of London in the SW1A postal area. Park Towers, W1J Park Towers is one of the streets of London in the W1J postal area. Queen Street, W1J Queen Street is one of the streets of London in the W1J postal area. Royal Arcade, W1S Royal Arcade is one of the streets of London in the W1S postal area. Shepherd Market, W1J Shepherd Market was developed between 1735 and 1746 by Edward Shepherd from an open area called Brook Field Stafford Street, W1S Stafford Street is named after Margaret Stafford, partner of developer Sir Thomas Bond who built on this site in the seventeenth century.
Stanhope Row, W1J Stanhope Row is one of the streets of London in the W1J postal area. Swallow Street, W1B Swallow Street honours Thomas Swallow, lessee in 1540 of the pastures on which the road was built. The Mall, SW1Y The Mall is the processional route between Trafalgar Square and Buckingham Palace. Vigo Street, W1S Vigo Street is one of the streets of London in the W1S postal area.
Green Park tube station is a London Underground station located on the north side of Green Park, close to the intersection of Piccadilly and the pedestrian Queen’s Walk.
The station was opened on 15 December 1906 by the Great Northern, Piccadilly
and Brompton Railway (GNP&BR), the precursor of the Piccadilly
line. The station was originally named Dover Street
due to its location in that street. When the station was rebuilt in 1933 with escalator access to the platforms, a new sub-surface ticket hall was built to the west under the roadway and new station entrances were constructed on the corner of Piccadilly
and Stratton Street
and on the south side of Piccadilly
. The station name was changed at this time.
With the rebuilding of the station and similar works at Hyde Park Corner, the little-used Piccadilly
line station between the two at Down Street
was taken out of use.
The Victoria line platforms opened on 7 March 1969; interchange between that line and the Piccadilly
line was via the ticket hall (without having to pass through the exit barriers). Even today changing between the Jubilee and Victoria lines and the Piccadilly
line involves a long walk.
The Jubilee line platforms opened on 1 May 1979, at which time the next station south on the Jubilee Line was its then southern terminus, Charing Cross; those platforms were closed when the Jubilee line was extended on a new alignment towards Westminster; at the same time interchange facilities at Green Park were improved.
When travelling south from Green Park on the Jubilee Line, Green Park Junction, where the new line diverges from the old, is visible from the train. While passenger services no longer operate to Charing Cross on the Jubilee Line, the old line is used regularly to reverse trains when the eastern part of the line is closed due to engineering works.
In the neighbourhood...
Click an image below for a better view...