Green Park tube station is a London Underground station located on the north side of Green Park, close to the intersection of Piccadilly and the pedestrian Queen's Walk.
The station was opened on 15 December 1906 by the Great Northern, Piccadilly
and Brompton Railway (GNP&BR), the precursor of the Piccadilly
line. The station was originally named Dover Street
due to its location in that street. When the station was rebuilt in 1933 with escalator access to the platforms, a new sub-surface ticket hall was built to the west under the roadway and new station entrances were constructed on the corner of Piccadilly
and Stratton Street
and on the south side of Piccadilly
. The station name was changed at this time.
With the rebuilding of the station and similar works at Hyde Park
Corner, the little-used Piccadilly
line station between the two at Down Street
was taken out of use.
The Victoria line platforms opened on 7 March 1969; interchange between that line and the Piccadilly
line was via the ticket hall (without having to pass through the exit barriers). Even today changing between the Jubilee and Victoria lines and the Piccadilly
line involves a long walk.
The Jubilee line platforms opened on 1 May 1979, at which time the next station south on the Jubilee Line was its then southern terminus, Charing Cross
; those platforms were closed when the Jubilee line was extended on a new alignment towards Westminster; at the same time interchange facilities at Green Park were improved.
When travelling south from Green Park on the Jubilee Line, Green Park Junction, where the new line diverges from the old, is visible from the train. While passenger services no longer operate to Charing Cross
on the Jubilee Line, the old line is used regularly to reverse trains when the eastern part of the line is closed due to engineering works.