Queen’s Yard is a road in the W1T postcode area
Alfred Mews, WC1E Alfred Mews is situated off Tottenham Court Road, running behind the gardens of North Crescent. Alfred Place, WC1E Alfred Place was built in 1806 by a Marylebone stonemason called John Waddilove who named it after his son Alfred. All Souls Place, W1B All Souls Place is a short cul-de-sac in the shadow of All Souls Church, originating in the eighteenth century as a mews off Edward Street. Bedford Square, WC1B Bedford Square was designed as a unified architectural composition in 1775-6 by Thomas Leverton. Bedford Way, WC1H Bedford Way is one of the streets of London in the WC1H postal area. Bird Street, W1T Bird Street is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area. Cleveland Street, W1W Cleveland Street maybe dates from before 1632 when its name was recorded as Wrastling Lane. Conway Mews, W1T Conway Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area. Conway Street, W1T Conway Street runs from the Euston Road in the north to Fitzroy Square in the south. Euston Tower, NW1 Euston Tower is a skyscraper located at 286 Euston Road, near the intersection with Tottenham Court Road. First Floor, W1T First Floor is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area. Fitzroy Mews, W1T Fitzroy Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area. Foley Street, W1W Foley Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area. Goodge Place, W1T Goodge Place is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area. Gordon Square, WC1H The completion of Thomas Cubitt’s Gordon Square in 1860 marked the final development of Bloomsbury. Gower Street, WC1E Gower Street is named after Gertrude Leveson-Gower, the wife of John Russell, the 4th Duke of Bedford. Grafton Mews, W1T Grafton Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area. Grafton Way, W1T Grafton Way is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area. Keppel Street, WC1E Keppel Street links Store Street and Gower Street in the west to Malet Street in the east. Malet Street, WC1E Sir Edward Malet was married to Lady Ermyntrude Sackville Russell, daughter of Francis Russell who owned much of the surrounding area. Maple Street, W1T Maple Street is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area. Ogle Street, W1W Ogle Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area. Percy Street, W1T Percy Street is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area. Riding House Street, W1W Riding House Street commemorates a riding house and barracks of the First Troop of Horse Grenadier Guards. Scala Street, W1T Scala Street is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area. Tavistock Square, WC1H Tavistock Square was built by property developer James Burton and the master builder Thomas Cubitt for Francis Russell, 5th Duke of Bedford. Third Floor, WC1E Third Floor is one of the streets of London in the WC1E postal area. Torrington Square, WC1H Torrington Square was originally laid out as part of the Bedford Estate development in 1821-25, named after the father-in-law of the 6th Duke of Bedford. Tottenham Court Road, W1T Tottenham Court Road is a major road running from the junction of Oxford Street and Charing Cross Road, north to Euston Road - a distance of about three-quarters of a mile. Union Street, W1W The easternmost section of Riding House Street was previously known as Union Street. Warren Mews, W1T Warren Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area. Warren Street, W1T Warren Street was named after Anne Warren (1737–1807), the wife of Charles FitzRoy, landowner. Whitfield Street, W1T Whitfield Street runs from Warren Street in the north to Windmill Street in the south. Woburn Mews, WC1H Woburn Mews ran parallel between Woburn Place and Upper Bedford Place to the west of Woburn Place. Woburn Place, WC1H Woburn Place is situated on the Bedford estate, running north from the east of Russell Square to the east of Tavistock Square.
Bloomsbury is an area of the London Borough of Camden, in central London, between Euston Road and Holborn, developed by the Russell family in the 17th and 18th centuries into a fashionable residential area.
The earliest record of what would become Bloomsbury is the 1086 Domesday Book, which records that the area had vineyards and 'wood for 100 pigs'. But it is not until 1201 that the name Bloomsbury is first noted, when William de Blemond, a Norman landowner, acquired the land.
The name Bloomsbury is a development from Blemondisberi
– the bury, or manor, of Blemond. An 1878 publication, Old and New London: Volume 4, mentions the idea that the area was named after a village called Lomesbury
which formerly stood where Bloomsbury Square is now, though this piece of folk etymology is now discredited.
At the end of the 14th century Edward III acquired Blemond's manor, and passed it on to the Carthusian monks of the London Charterhouse, who kept the area mostly rural.
In the 16th century, with the Dissolution of the Monasteries, Henry VIII took the land back into the possession of the Crown, and granted it to Thomas Wriothesley, 1st Earl of Southampton.
In the early 1660s, the Earl of Southampton constructed what eventually became Bloomsbury Square. The area was laid out mainly in the 18th century, largely by landowners such as Wriothesley Russell, 3rd Duke of Bedford, who built Bloomsbury Market, which opened in 1730. The major development of the squares that we see today started in about 1800 when Francis Russell, 5th Duke of Bedford removed Bedford House and developed the land to the north with Russell Square as its centrepiece.
Historically, Bloomsbury is associated with the arts, education, and medicine. The area gives its name to the Bloomsbury Group of artists, the most famous of whom was Virginia Woolf, who met in private homes in the area in the early 1900s, and to the lesser known Bloomsbury Gang of Whigs formed in 1765 by John Russell, 4th Duke of Bedford.
The publisher Faber & Faber used to be located in Queen Square, though at the time T. S. Eliot was editor the offices were in Tavistock Square
. The Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood was founded in John Millais's parents' house on Gower Street
The Bloomsbury Festival was launched in 2006 when local resident Roma Backhouse was commissioned to mark the re-opening of the Brunswick Centre, a residential and shopping area. The free festival is a celebration of the local area, partnering with galleries, libraries and museums, and achieved charitable status at the end of 2012.