Crowndale Court, NW1

Road in/near St Pancras

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.53524 -0.13369, 51.535 -0.133) 

Crowndale Court, NW1

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502021Remove markers
Road · St Pancras · NW1 ·
August
8
2017

Crowndale Court is a road in the NW1 postcode area




NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Agar Town Agar Town was a short-lived area, built in the 1840s, of St Pancras.
Greek Orthodox Church of All Saints All Saints, Camden Town is a Greek Orthodox church known as the Greek Orthodox Church of All Saints.

NEARBY STREETS
Aldenham Street, NW1 Aldenham Street – Richard Platt, 16th century brewer and local landowner, gave land for the endowment of Aldenham School, Hertfordshire.
Ampthill Square, NW1 Ampthill Square is a name which has existed in two different time periods.
Bagley Walk Arches, N1C Bagley Walk Arches is a location in London.
Bagley Walk, N1C Bagley Walk is a location in London.
Barclay Street, NW1 Barclay Street led from Aldenham Street northwards to Medburn Street.
Bayham Place, NW1 Bayham Place is a short cobbled street.
Bayham Street, NW1 Bayham Street is named for one of Lord’s Camden’s titles, Viscount Bayham.
Beatty Street, NW1 Beatty Street is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Bridgeway Street, NW1 Bridgeway Street is a street in Camden Town.
Brill Place, NW1 Brill Place is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Camden Street, NW1 Camden Street is a street in Camden Town.
Camley Street, N1C Camley Street runs north from King’s Cross.
Camley Street, NW1 Camley Street is a street in Camden Town.
Canal Reach, N1C Canal Reach is a road in the N1C postcode area
Carlow Street, NW1 Carlow Street is a location in London.
Carol Street, NW1 Carol Street is a street in Camden Town.
Charrington Street, NW1 Charrington Street runs south to north and is a continuation of Ossulston Street.
Chenies Place, NW1 Chenies Place is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Chill Lane, N1C Chill Lane is a location in London.
Clarkson Row, NW1 Clarkson Row is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Coach Road, N1C Coach Road is a road in the N1C postcode area
Coal Drops Yard, N1C Coal Drops Yard is a location in London.
College Grove, NW1 College Grove is a road in the NW1 postcode area
College Place, NW1 College Place is a street in Camden Town.
Cooper’s Lane, NW1 Cooper’s Lane is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Cranleigh Street, NW1 Cranleigh Street is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Crofters Way, NW1 Crofters Way is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Crowndale Road, NW1 Crowndale Road was at first called Fig Lane and then Gloucester Place.
Curnock Street, NW1 George Curnock was the 19th century proprietor of two wharves on the Regent’s Canal.
Delancey Passage, NW1 Delancey Passage is a street in Camden Town.
Elstree Street, N1C Elstree Street once laid off of St Pancras Road.
Godwin Court, NW1 Godwin Court is a street in Camden Town.
Goldington Crescent, NW1 Goldington Crescent is a street in Camden Town.
Goldington Street, NW1 Goldington Street is a street in Camden Town.
Goods Way, N1C Goods Way runs from Pancras Road to York Way.
Granary Street, NW1 Granary Street is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Granby Terrace, NW1 Granby Terrace was previously called Granby Street.
Greenland Place, NW1 Greenland Place followed the line of Church Path.
Greenland Street, NW1 Greenland Street was originally York Street.
Hampden Close, NW1 Hampden Close is a street in Camden Town.
Harrington Square, NW1 Harrington Square is named after the Earl of Harrington, one of whose daughters married the seventh Duke of Bedford.
King’s Terrace, NW1 King’s Terrace was formerly Little King Street South and Little King Street North.
Kings Cross Square, N1C Kings Cross Square is a location in London.
Kings Cross, N1C A street within the N1C postcode
Kings Terrace, NW1 Kings Terrace is a street in Camden Town.
Lewis Cubitt Square, N1C Lewis Cubitt Square is a location in London.
Lidlington Place, NW1 Lidlington Place is a street in Camden Town.
Lower Stable Street, N1C Lower Stable Street is a location in London.
Mandela Street, NW1 Mandela Street was named after Nelson Mandela.
Mary Terrace, NW1 Mary Terrace is a street in Camden Town.
Mayford, NW1 Mayford is a street in Camden Town.
Medburn Street, NW1 Medburn Street is named after a farm between Elstree and Radlett in Hertfordshire.
Midland Road, NW1 Midland Road is a location in London.
Miller Street, NW1 Miller Street is a street in Camden Town.
Mornington Crescent, NW1 Mornington Crescent was named after Garret Wesley, 1st Earl of Mornington.
Oakley Square, NW1 Oakley Square is a street in Camden Town.
Pancras Road, NW1 Pancras Road is a street in Camden Town.
Penryn Street, NW1 Penryn Street is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Perry Street, N1C Perry Street was buried by St Pancras station.
Plender Street, NW1 William Plender, 1st Baron Plender was an accountant and public servant who served as Sheriff of the County of London in 1927.
Ploughmans Close, NW1 Ploughmans Close is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Polygon Road, NW1 Polygon Road is a street in Camden Town.
Pratt Mews, NW1 Pratt Mews dates from the 1790s.
Pratt Street, NW1 Pratt Street was named for Charles Pratt, 1st Earl of Camden.
Purchese Street, NW1 Purchese Street is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Reapers Close, NW1 Reapers Close is a street in Camden Town.
Regent’s Canal towpath, N1C Regent’s Canal towpath is a road in the N1C postcode area
Smith Street, N1C Smith Street was buried under St Pancras station.
Somers Close, NW1 Somers Close is a road in the NW1 postcode area
St Martins Almshouses, NW1 St Martins Almshouses is a street in Camden Town.
St Martins Close, NW1 St Martins Close is a street in Camden Town.
St Pancras Cruising Club, N1C St Pancras Cruising Club is a road in the N1C postcode area
St. Philip’s Way, N1C A street within the N1C postcode
Stable Street, N1C Stable Street is a road in the N1C postcode area
The Circle, N1C The Circle is a road in the N1C postcode area
The Marr, NW1 The Marr is a street in Camden Town.
Unity Mews, NW1 Unity Mews is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Watford Street, NW1 Watford Street was cleared away in the 1860s to make way to St Pancras station.
Werrington Street, NW1 Werrington Street is a street in Camden Town.
Wollstonecraft Street, N1C Wollstonecraft Street was the first name to be chosen from a naming competition by the developers of N1C.


St Pancras

St Pancras railway station, celebrated for its architecture, is built on the site of the St Pancras suburb of London.

For many centuries the St Pancras name was used for various officially-designated areas, but it is now used mainly for the railway station and for upmarket venues in the immediate locality, having been largely superseded by other place names including Kings Cross, Somers Town, and Camden Town, or simply Camden.

St Pancras was originally a medieval parish, which ran from close to what is now Oxford Street north as far as Highgate, and from what is now Regent’s Park in the west to the road now known as York Way in the east, boundaries which take in much of the current London Borough of Camden, including its central part. However, as the choice of name for the borough suggests, St Pancras has lost its status as the central settlement in the area.

The original focus of the area was the church, now known by the retronym of St Pancras Old Church. The building is in the southern half of the parish, and is believed by many to be one of the oldest sites of Christian worship in Great Britain. However, in the 14th century the population moved en masse to Kentish Town, probably due to flooding by the River Fleet and the availability of better wells at the new location. A chapel of ease was established there, and the old settlement was abandoned, except for a few farms, until the growth of London in the late eighteenth century.

In the 1790s Earl Camden began to develop some fields to the north and west of the old church as Camden Town. About the same time, a residential district was built to the south and east of the church, usually known as Somers Town. In 1822 the new church of St Pancras was dedicated as the parish church. The site was chosen on what was then called the New Road, now Euston Road, which had been built as London’s first bypass, the M25 of its day. The two sites are about a kilometer apart. The new church is Grade I listed for its Greek Revival style; the old church was rebuilt in 1847. In the mid 19th century two major railway stations were built to the south of the Old Church, first Kings Cross and later St Pancras. The new church is closer to Euston Station.

By the end of the nineteenth century the ancient parish had been divided into 37 parishes, including one for the old church. There are currently 17 Church of England parishes completely contained within the boundaries of the ancient parish, all of which benefit from the distributions from the St Pancras Lands Trust, and most of which are in South Camden Deanery in the Edmonton Area of the Diocese of London.

St Pancras railway station was opened in 1868 by the Midland Railway as the southern terminus of its main line, which connected London with the East Midlands and Yorkshire. When inaugurated, the arched train shed by William Henry Barlow was the largest single-span roof in the world. Today, Midland main line services to Corby, Sheffield and Nottingham are operated by East Midlands Trains, and St Pancras is a stop on the Thameslink route as well as being the terminus of Southeastern high-speed trains to Kent.


LOCAL PHOTOS
The British Library
TUM image id: 1482066417
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Camden Town 1920s.
TUM image id: 1557159163
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Agar Town (1857)
Credit: Percy Lovell
TUM image id: 1499434317
Licence: CC BY 2.0
All Saints, Camden Town, in 1828.
TUM image id: 1492970567
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Camden High Street
TUM image id: 1547918916
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Goods Way - old sign
TUM image id: 1526241892
Licence: CC BY 2.0
The Polygon, Somers Town in 1850.
TUM image id: 1499354315
Licence: CC BY 2.0
St. James Gardens
Credit: Google
TUM image id: 1530005129
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Wollstonecraft Street sign
TUM image id: 1580316384
Licence: CC BY 2.0

In the neighbourhood...

Click an image below for a better view...
The British Library
TUM image id: 1482066417
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Agar Town (1857)
Credit: Percy Lovell
TUM image id: 1499434317
Licence: CC BY 2.0
All Saints, Camden Town, in 1828.
TUM image id: 1492970567
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Camden Town, from the Hampstead Road, Marylebone (1780)
Credit: Old and New London: Volume 5 (1878)
TUM image id: 1529948529
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Mornington Crescent, northwest quadrant (1904). The view includes no.31 where Spencer Gore rented a room between 1909–12.
Credit: Camden Local Studies and Archives Centre
TUM image id: 1543348539
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Extract from Map of the parish of St Marylebone and parish of St Pancras in London, 1797
TUM image id: 1543272201
Licence: CC BY 2.0
The Polygon, Somers Town in 1850.
TUM image id: 1499354315
Licence: CC BY 2.0
This painting bears the inscription: All that remained in the year 1844 of the once celebrated Rhobess Farm, Hampstead Road now Ampthill Square
Credit: Wikimedia Commons
TUM image id: 1529944586
Licence: CC BY 2.0
St. James Gardens
Credit: Google
TUM image id: 1530005129
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Wollstonecraft Street sign
TUM image id: 1580316384
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Print-friendly version of this page