Camley Street, N1C
Road in/near Camden Town, existing between the 1840s and now
Print-friendly version of this page Camley Street
runs north from King’s Cross.
The decrepit streets of Agar Town
were all neutrally named after English towns; the only one to survive was Cambridge Street, (now adapted to Canley Street).
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Agar Town Agar Town was a short-lived area, built in the 1840s, of St Pancras. Barker Drive, NW1 Barker Drive built over railway sidings, takes its name from Tom Barker (1887-1970) who served as Mayor of Camden in the 1950s. Curnock Street, NW1 George Curnock was the 19th century proprietor of two wharves on the Regent’s Canal. Medburn Street, NW1 Medburn Street is named after a farm between Elstree and Radlett in Hertfordshire. Plender Street, NW1 William Plender, 1st Baron Plender was an accountant and public servant who served as Sheriff of the County of London in 1927. Randells Road, N1 Randells Road is one of the streets of London in the N1 postal area. Vale Royal, N7 Vale Royal is one of the streets of London in the N7 postal area. Wollstonecraft Street, N1C Wollstonecraft Street was the first name to be chosen from a naming competition by the developers of N1C.
Camden Town tube station is a major junction on the Northern Line and one of the busiest stations on the London Underground network. It is particularly busy at weekends with tourists visiting Camden Market and Camden High Street.
Camden is well-known for Camden Market which is a major tourist attraction, particularly busy at weekends, selling variety of fashion, antiques, lifestyle and bizarre goods; they (and the surrounding shops) are popular with young people, in particular those searching for alternative
It is an area popular with overseas students who come to Camden to learn English and find a job in one of the local bars or restaurants. The oldest established language school is Camden College of English, which is located at the Chalk Farm side of the market.
The Regent’s Canal runs through the north end of Camden Town and is a popular walk in summer.
Camdem Town tube station began life as part of the original route of the Charing Cross, Euston and Hampstead Railway (CCE&HR) (now part of the Northern Line). As the line here branched into two routes, to Hampstead and to Highgate, the design of the station was rather unusual, shaped like a V. The line to Hampstead (now the Edgware Branch) is under Chalk Farm Road; the line to Highgate (now the High Barnet branch) is under Kentish Town Road. With the narrowness of the roads above, and the necessity to keep directly beneath them to avoid having to pay compensation to landowners during construction, on both lines the northbound platform is directly above the southbound one.
At the apex of the V is a junction allowing northbound trains to take either of the branches north, and likewise allow the trains south from the branches to join the single southbound track. This resulted in four connecting tunnels. When the CCE&HR and City & South London Railway lines were joined together after the City & South London Line became part of London Underground, a short extension from the Euston terminus of the City & South London was built to connect with each of the two northerly branches. This added another four tunnels to the junction, making it the most complex junction on the network.