Prince of Wales Road, NW4
|MAP YEAR:||1750||1800||1810||1820||1830||1860||1900||1950||2022||Show map without markers|
|ZOOM:||14 15 16 17||14 15 16 17||14 15 16 17||14 15 16 17||14 15 16 17||14 15 16 17||14 15 16 17 18||14 15 16 17||14 15 16 17 18|
|TIP: If you change to historical maps using MAP YEAR, The Underground Map will place markers of locations existing that decade|
|Click here to explore another London street|
We now have 505 completed street histories and 46995 partial histories
Find streets or residential blocks within the M25 by clicking STREETS
|CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE LOCALITY|
Added: 13 Jul 2017 21:22 GMT
The site is now a car shop and Angels Fancy Dress shop and various bread factories are there.
Added: 10 Apr 2022 13:38 GMT
Staples Mattress Factory
An architect’s design of the Staples Mattress Factory
An image found on the website of Dalzell’s Beds, in Armagh Northern Ireland.
|LATEST LONDON-WIDE CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE PROJECT|
Added: 22 Sep 2022 18:30 GMT
Well Walk, NW3 (1817 - 1818)
The home of Benthy, the Postman, with whom poet John Keats and his brother Tom lodged from early 1817 to Dec., 1818. They occupied the first floor up. Here Tom died Dec. 1, 1818. It was next door to the Welles Tavern then called ’The Green Man’."
From collected papers and photos re: No. 1 Well Walk at the library of Harvard University.
Source: No. 1, Well Walk, Hampstead. | HOLLIS for
Added: 4 Sep 2022 15:42 GMT
I worked here in 1977. The scene in the prison laundry in Superman 2 was filmed here.
Added: 27 Aug 2022 10:22 GMT
The Underground Map
Michael Faraday successfully demonstrated the first electrical transformer at the Royal Institute, London.
Added: 26 Aug 2022 15:19 GMT
Bus makes a leap
A number 78 double-decker bus driven by Albert Gunter was forced to jump an accidentally opening Tower Bridge.
He was awarded a £10 bonus.
Added: 26 Aug 2022 12:44 GMT
The world’s first underground train
The very first underground train left Paddington on the new Metropolitan Railway bound for Farringdon Street.
Added: 26 Aug 2022 12:41 GMT
Baker Street station opened on the Metropolitan Railway - the world’s first underground line.
Added: 26 Aug 2022 12:17 GMT
TV comes to Olympia
Over 7000 people queued to see the first high definition television pictures on sets at the Olympia Radio Show. The pictures were transmitted by the BBC from Alexandra Palace, introduced by Leslie Mitchell, their first announcer.
Added: 9 Aug 2022 19:01 GMT
Ely place existed in name in 1857
On 7th July 1857 John James Chase and Mary Ann Weekes were married at St John the Baptist Hoxton, he of full age and she a minor. Both parties list their place of residence as Ely Place, yet according to other information, this street was not named until 1861. He was a bricklayer, she had no occupation listed, but both were literate and able to sign their names on their marriage certificate.
|NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE|
Hendon was a Middlesex village, albeit large, until the arrival of the railway. The Midland Main Line reached Hendon in 1868 followed by London Underground further east under the name Hendon Central in 1923. The district is famous historically for the London Aerodrome which later became RAF Hendon.
Credit: Wiki Commons/Irid Escent
TUM image id: 1630579319
Church Farmhouse Museum from Greyhound Hill (2011)
TUM image id: 1536786304
Licence: CC BY 2.0
The site of Hendon Central station (1896) The future site of the 1920s Hendon Central station (at the red marker) was anticipated on the late nineteenth century Ordnance Survey map of the area. Butcher’s Lane, later to be Queen’s Road, headed west out of Hendon proper and made a sharp northward turn towards The Burroughs on the later site of Hendon Central Circus. The site is marked with GP (Guide Post) where a sign post pointed the way. Goosebury Gardens, at the bottom of the map, was located north of what became Brent Cross Flyover. The lane which ran north all the way The Burroughs became the route of Watford Way. The North Circular Road, Watford Way and the new Hendon Central station were all part of a coordinated 1920s scheme, transforming the area completely.
Credit: Ordnance Survey
TUM image id: 1656756550