Achilles Close, SE1

Road in/near Bermondsey

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.48787 -0.06659, 51.487 -0.066) 

Achilles Close, SE1

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502021Remove markers
Road · Bermondsey · SE1 ·
August
13
2017

Achilles Close is a road in the SE1 postcode area




NEARBY STREETS
Abercorn Way, SE1 Abercorn Way is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Abingdon Close, SE1 A street within the SE1 postcode
Acanthus Drive, SE1 A street within the SE1 postcode
Admiral Hyson Industrial Estate, SE16 A street within the SE16 postcode
Ainsdale Drive, SE1 A street within the SE1 postcode
Alma Grove, SE1 Alma Grove was formerly Alma Road, and before that Tenter Ground Lane.
Anchor Street, SE16 Anchor Street runs between Southwark Park Road and Lynton Road.
Argyle Way, SE16 Argyle Way is a road in the SE16 postcode area
Avocet Close, SE1 Avocet Close is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Avondale Square, SE1 Avondale Square is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Balaclava Road, SE1 Balaclava Road’s name records the date of the development with the military victories of the Crimean War still fresh at that time.
Beatrice Road, SE1 Beatrice Road is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Brodie Street, SE1 Brodie Street is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Burnell Walk, SE1 A street within the SE1 postcode
Burnham Close, SE1 A street within the SE1 postcode
Bushwood Drive, SE1 Bushwood Drive is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Cadet Drive, SE1 Cadet Drive is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Camilla Road, SE16 Camilla Road is a road in the SE16 postcode area
Catlin Street, SE16 Catlin Street is a road in the SE16 postcode area
Chaucer Drive, SE1 Chaucer Drive is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Chevron Apartments, SE1 Chevron Apartments is a block.
Coopers Road, SE1 Coopers Road is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Culloden Close, SE16 A street within the SE16 postcode
East Point, SE1 East Point is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Edenbridge Close, SE16 A street within the SE16 postcode
Esmeralda Road, SE1 Esmeralda Road is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Fallow Court, SE16 A street within the SE16 postcode
Fern Walk, SE16 A street within the SE16 postcode
Fort Road, SE1 Fort Road is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Fortune Place, SE1 Fortune Place is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Frank Mews, SE1 Frank Mews is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Gallewall Trading Estate, SE16 Gallewall Trading Estate is a road in the SE16 postcode area
Galleywall Road, SE16 Galleywall Road is one of the streets of London in the SE16 postal area.
Galway Close, SE16 A street within the SE16 postcode
Gleneagles Close, SE16 A street within the SE16 postcode
Glengall Terrace, SE15 Glengall Terrace is a street whose history changed after the Second World War.
Hannah Mary Way, SE1 A street within the SE1 postcode
Harmony Place, SE1 Harmony Place is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Holywell Close, SE16 A street within the SE16 postcode
Hyson Road, SE16 Hyson Road is one of the streets of London in the SE16 postal area.
Kingsdown Close, SE16 A street within the SE16 postcode
Kite House, SE16 A street within the SE1 postcode
Kotree way, SE1 Kotree way is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Langdon Way, SE1 A street within the SE1 postcode
Longfellow Way, SE1 Longfellow Way is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Longfield Estate, SE1 A street within the SE1 postcode
Lovegrove Street, SE16 Lovegrove Street is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Lynton Road, SE1 Lynton Road is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Malt Street, SE1 Malt Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Manor Estate, SE16 A street within the SE16 postcode
Maria Close, SE16 A street within the SE1 postcode
Marlborough Grove, SE1 Marlborough Grove is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Mason Close, SE1 A street within the SE16 postcode
Masters Drive, SE16 Masters Drive is a road in the SE16 postcode area
Mawbey Place, SE1 A street within the SE1 postcode
Monnow Road, SE1 Monnow Road is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Muirfield Close, SE16 A street within the SE16 postcode
Olmar Street, SE1 Olmar Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Ossory Road, SE1 Ossory Road is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Oxley Close, SE1 Oxley Close is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Pope House, SE16 Residential block
Reverdy Road, SE1 Reverdy Road is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Rolls Road, SE1 Rolls Road is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Roseberry Street, SE16 Roseberry Street is a road in the SE16 postcode area
Rossetti Road, SE16 Rossetti Road is one of the streets of London in the SE16 postal area.
Rowcross Street, SE1 Rowcross Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Ryder Drive, SE16 Ryder Drive is one of the streets of London in the SE16 postal area.
Sandgate Street, SE15 Sandgate Street is one of the streets of London in the SE15 postal area.
Sheppard Drive, SE16 Sheppard Drive is a road in the SE16 postcode area
Shepparoad Drive, SE16 A street within the SE16 postcode
Sherwood Gardens, SE16 Sherwood Gardens is a road in the SE16 postcode area
Simms Road, SE1 Simms Road is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Six Bridges Trading Estate, SE1 Six Bridges Trading Estate is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Southernwood Retail Park, SE1 A street within the SE1 postcode
St Jamess Road, SE1 St Jamess Road is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
St Jamess Road, SE1 St Jamess Road is one of the streets of London in the SE16 postal area.
St. Davids Close, SE16 A street within the SE16 postcode
Stevenson Cres, SE16 A street within the SE16 postcode
Stevenson Crescent, SE16 Stevenson Crescent is a road in the SE16 postcode area
Strathnairn Street, SE1 Strathnairn Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Stubbs Drive, SE16 Stubbs Drive is a road in the SE16 postcode area
Sunningdale Close, SE16 A street within the SE16 postcode
Tenda Road, SE16 Tenda Road is one of the streets of London in the SE16 postal area.
Thorburn Square, SE1 Thorburn Square is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Tovy House, SE1 Residential block
Trading Estate, SE16 A street within the SE16 postcode
Trafalgar Avenue, SE15 This area of Peckham, close to the Old Kent Road, was developed from the 1840s onwards.
Troon Close, SE16 A street within the SE16 postcode
Trothy Road, SE16 Trothy Road is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Turnberry Close, SE16 A street within the SE16 postcode
Verney Road, SE16 Verney Road is one of the streets of London in the SE16 postal area.
Verney Way, SE16 Verney Way is one of the streets of London in the SE16 postal area.
Weald Close, SE16 Weald Close is a road in the SE16 postcode area
Welsford Street, SE1 A street within the SE1 postcode
Whittaker Way, SE1 A street within the SE1 postcode
Windmill Close, SE16 A street within the SE1 postcode


Bermondsey

The name Bermondsey first appears in a letter from Pope Constantine (708-715), in which he grants privileges to a monastery at ’Vermundesei’, then in the hands of the abbot of Medeshamstede, as Peterborough was known at the time.

Though Bermondsey’s name may derive from Beornmund’s island (whoever the Anglo-Saxon Beornmund was, is another matter), but Bermondsey is likely to have been a higher, drier spot in an otherwise marshy area, rather than a real island.

The area first appears in a letter from Pope Constantine (708-715), in which he grants privileges to a monastery at Vermundesei, then in the hands of the abbot of Medeshamstede, as Peterborough was known at the time.

Bermondsey appears in Domesday Book. It was then held by King William, though a small part was in the hands of Robert, Count of Mortain, the king’s half brother, and younger brother of Odo of Bayeux, then Earl of Kent.

Bermondsey Abbey was founded as a Cluniac priory in 1082, and was dedicated to St Saviour. Monks from the abbey began the development of the area, cultivating the land and embanking the riverside. They turned an adjacent tidal inlet at the mouth of the River Neckinger into a dock, named St Saviour’s Dock after their abbey. The Knights Templar also owned land here and gave their names to one of the most distinctive streets in London, Shad Thames (a corruption of ’St John at Thames’). Other ecclesiastical properties stood nearby at Tooley (a corruption of ’St Olave’s’) Street, located in the Archbishop of Canterbury’s manor of Southwark, where wealthy citizens and clerics had their houses, including the priors of Lewes and St Augustine’s, Canterbury, and the abbot of Battle.

As it developed over the centuries, Bermondsey underwent many changes. After the Great Fire of London, it was settled by the well-to-do and took on the character of a garden suburb especially along the lines of Grange Road, as Bermondsey Street became more urbanised. A pleasure garden was founded there in the 17th century, commemorated by the Cherry Garden Pier. Samuel Pepys visited ’Jamaica House’ at Cherry Gardens in 1664 and recorded in his diary that he had left it "singing finely".

Though not many buildings survive from this era, one notable exception is the church of St Mary Magdalen in Bermondsey Street, completed in 1690 (although a church has been recorded on this site from the 13th Century). This church came through both 19th-century redevelopment and The Blitz unscathed. It is not just an unusual survivor for Bermondsey; buildings of this era are relative rarities in Inner London in general.

In the 18th century, the discovery of a spring from the river Neckinger in the area led to Bermondsey becoming a spa leisure resort, as the area between Grange and Jamaica Roads called Spa Road commemorates.

It was from the Bermondsey riverside that the painter J.M.W. Turner executed his famous painting of The Fighting Temeraire Tugged to her Last Berth to be Broken Up (1839), depicting the veteran warship being towed to Rotherhithe to be scrapped.

By the mid-19th century parts of Bermondsey, especially along the riverside had become a notorious slum — with the arrival of industrial plants, docks and immigrant housing. The area around St Saviour’s Dock, known as Jacob’s Island, was one of the worst in London. It was immortalised by Charles Dickens’s novel Oliver Twist, in which the principal villain Bill Sikes meets a nasty end in the mud of ’Folly Ditch’ an area which was known as Hickmans Folly — the scene of an attack by Spring Heeled Jack in 1845 — surrounding Jacob’s Island. Dickens provides a vivid description of what it was like:

<CITE>... crazy wooden galleries common to the backs of half a dozen houses, with holes from which to look upon the slime beneath; windows, broken and patched, with poles thrust out, on which to dry the linen that is never there; rooms so small, so filthy, so confined, that the air would seem to be too tainted even for the dirt and squalor which they shelter; wooden chambers thrusting themselves out above the mud and threatening to fall into it — as some have done; dirt-besmeared walls and decaying foundations, every repulsive lineament of poverty, every loathsome indication of filth, rot, and garbage: all these ornament the banks of Jacob’s Island.</CITE>

Bermondsey Town Hall was built on Spa Road in 1881. The area was extensively redeveloped during the 19th century and early 20th century with the expansion of the river trade and the arrival of the railways. London’s first passenger railway terminus was built by the London to Greenwich Railway in 1836 at London Bridge. The first section to be used was between the Spa Road Station and Deptford High Street. This local station had closed by 1915.

The industrial boom of the 19th century was an extension of Bermondsey’s manufacturing role in earlier eras. As in the East End, industries that were deemed too noisome to be carried on within the narrow confines of the City of London had been located here — one such that came to dominate central Bermondsey, away from the riverfront, was the processing and trading of leather and hides. Many buildings from this era survive around Leathermarket Street including the huge Leather, Hide and Wool Exchange (now residential and small work spaces). Hepburn and Gale’s tannery (disused as of early 2007) on Long Lane is also a substantial survivor of the leather trade.

Peek, Frean and Co was established in 1857 at Dockhead, Bermondsey by James Peek and George Hender Frean. They moved to a larger plant in Clements Road in 1866, leading to the nickname ’Biscuit Town’ for Bermondsey, where they continued baking until the brand was discontinued in 1989. Wee Willie Harris (usually credited as the first British rock and roll player) came from Bermondsey. He was known as Britain’s Wild man of Rock N’ Roll). He also worked in Peak Freans.

To the east of Tower Bridge, Bermondsey’s 3½ miles of riverside were lined with warehouses and wharves, of which the best known is Butler’s Wharf. They suffered severe damage in World War II bombing and became redundant in the 1960s following the collapse of the river trade. After standing derelict for some years, many of the wharves were redeveloped under the aegis of the London Docklands Development Corporation during the 1980s. They have now been converted into a mixture of residential and commercial accommodations and have become some of the most upmarket and expensive properties in London. In 1997, US President Bill Clinton and Prime Minister Tony Blair visited the area to dine at the Pont de la Tour restaurant at Butler’s Wharf.

Millwall F.C. moved to a new stadium on Coldblow Lane in 1910, having previously played in Millwall, but have kept their original name despite playing at the opposite side of the River Thames to the Millwall area. They played at The Den until 1993, when they relocated to the New Den nearby. A public sports centre is also included in their stadium.

Reorganisation of lines and closure of stations left Bermondsey’s transport links with the rest of London poorer in the late twentieth century. This was remedied in 2000 with the opening of Bermondsey tube station on the Jubilee Line Extension.

Bermondsey tube station was designed by Ian Ritchie Architects and was originally intended to have a multi-storey office building sitting on top.


LOCAL PHOTOS

Print-friendly version of this page