Print-friendly version of this page
The Royal Court Theatre is a non-commercial theatre on Sloane Square
, in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, London. It is noted for its contributions to modern theatre. In 1956 it was acquired by and is home to a resident company, the English Stage Company. ...
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Achilles Way, W1K Achilles Way is named for the nearby Wellington as Achilles statue in Hyde Park. Albert Gate, SW1X Albert Gate is one of the streets of London in the SW1X postal area. Avery Farm Row, SW1W Avery Farm Row - after a former farm here of this name, ’Avery’ being a corruption of ’Ebury’. Belgrave Square, SW1X Thomas Cubitt’s greatest achievement, Belgrave Square, is the grandest and largest of his squares, and is the centrepiece of Belgravia. Bray Place, SW3 Bray Place is one of the streets of London in the SW3 postal area. Brompton Road, SW1X Brompton Road lies partly in Westminster and partly in Kensington and Chelsea. Cadogan Place, SW1X Cadogan Place was named after Earl Cadogan and runs parallel to the lower half of Sloane Street. Cadogan Square, SW1X Cadogan Square was built between 1877 and 1888, largely on the grounds of the Prince’s Club. Chapel Street, SW1X Chapel Street runs south-west to north-east from Belgrave Square to Grosvenor Place. Chester Row, SW1W Chester Row with its tall stucco houses lies at the heart of the district of Belgravia. Cheyne Place, SW3 Cheyne Place is one of the streets of London in the SW3 postal area. Clabon Mews, SW1X Clabon Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW1X postal area. Derby Street, W1J Derby Street is one of the streets of London in the W1J postal area. Dilke Street, SW3 Dilke Street is one of the streets of London in the SW3 postal area. Dove Walk, SW1W Dove Walk is one of the streets of London in the SW1W postal area. Eaton Gate, SW1W Eaton Gate is one of the streets of London in the SW1W postal area. Ebury Square, SW1W In contrast with much of Belgravia’s planned building, Edbury Square developed as a result of London’s natural expansion. Groom Place, SW1X Groom Place is one of the streets of London in the SW1X postal area. Hans Crescent, SW1X Hans Crescent forms part of an area informally called Hans Town which dates back to the 18th century. Hans Place, SW1X Hans Place, a square, is named after Sir Hans Sloane, physician and collector, whose bequest became the foundation of the British Museum. Hans Street, SW1X Hans Street is one of the streets of London in the SW1X postal area. Kings Road, SW1W Kings Road is one of the streets of London in the SW1W postal area. Kinnerton Street, SW1X Kinnerton Street - a small winding street - was originally the service road for Wilton Place and Wilton Crescent. Knightsbridge, SW1X Knightsbridge is a main thoroughfare running along the south side of Hyde Park. Park Close, SW1X Park Close is one of the streets of London in the SW1X postal area. Pimlico Road, SW1W Pimlico Road is a combination of roads formerly called Grosvenor Row and Queen Street. Pont Street, SW1X Pont Street is a fashionable street in Knightsbridge/Belgravia, not far from the Knightsbridge department store Harrods to the north-west. Sloane Square, SW1W Sloane Square forms a boundary between the two largest aristocratic estates in London, the Grosvenor Estate and the Cadogan. Sloane Street, SW1X Sloane Street runs north to south, from Knightsbridge to Sloane Square, taking its name from Sir Hans Sloane, who purchased the surrounding area in 1712. Smith Street, SW3 Smith Street is one of the streets of London in the SW3 postal area. Tite Street, SW3 Tite Street is one of the streets of London in the SW3 postal area. Tryon Street, SW3 Tryon Street is one of the streets of London in the SW3 postal area. William Mews, SW1X William Mews is a partially redeveloped, private Mews off Lowndes Square. Wilton Crescent, SW1X Wilton Crescent is notable for its affluent and politically important list of residents, present and historic. Wilton Mews, SW1X Wilton Mews is one of the streets of London in the SW1X postal area. Wilton Place, SW1X Wilton Place was built in 1825 to connect Belgravia with Knightsbridge. Wilton Row, SW1X Wilton Row is one of the streets of London in the SW1X postal area.
Queen's Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.
The north of Queen's Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen's Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen's Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen's Park 'proper' formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen's Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.
Queen's Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett's wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen's Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queens Park are a conservation area.
There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.
Queen's Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway (LNWR) on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.
Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen's Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen's Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR. As of December 2013, no mainline services calling at the station and the Watford service has been transferred to London Overground.