Galbraith Street, E14
Road in/near Cubitt Town, existing between 1881 and now
Print-friendly version of this page
Galbraith Street was begun in Victorian times.
The street was reduced in length when the local council built a new post-war estate, demolishing the houses which had not already been destroyed during the Blitz.Licence:
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Aste Street, E14 Aste Street is a short street which once connected the western ends of Roffey Street and Judkin Street. Castalia Square, E14 Castalia Square was the first part of the post-war St John’s Estate to be opened. Castalia Street, E14 Castalia Street was part of the Millwall Docks Station Estate, built in 1881-2. Friars Mead, E14 Friars Mead is one of the streets of London in the E14 postal area. Hickin Street, E14 Hickin Street was built in the 1950s replacing an area devastated during the Blitz. Limeharbour, E14 Limeharbour is one of the streets of London in the E14 postal area. Marsh Wall, E14 Marsh Wall is one of the streets of London in the E14 postal area. Millharbour, E14 Millharbour is one of the streets of London in the E14 postal area. Pier Street, E14 Pier Street is one of the streets of London in the E14 postal area. Selsdon Way, E14 Selsdon Way is one of the streets of London in the E14 postal area.
This section of Poplar was developed as part of the Port of London in 1840s and 1850s by William Cubitt, Lord Mayor of London (1860–1862).
Cubitt Town lies on the eastern side of the Isle of Dogs. William Cubitt was responsible for the early housing which accommodated the growing population of dockworkers and shipbuilders.
Along with the housing, Cubitt also created many local businesses.
Bangladeshi and East Asian immigrant populations became established after the 1950s.
During the 1960s and 1970s, high-rise estates began to be built and during the 1990s and afterwards, the Canary Wharf complex attracted a different mix of people.