Jubilee Crescent, E14
Road in/near Cubitt Town, existing between 1935 and now
Print-friendly version of this page
Jubilee Crescent was built in 1935 by architect G R Unthank.
Local ship repairing firm, R. & H. Green & Silley Weir Ltd were based in Blackwall and were part of a long shipbuilding tradition. R. and H. Green Ltd was formed from the long-established Blackwall firm of Wigram and Green who were famous shipbuilders in the 19th century, however with the decline of Thames shipbuilding in the early 20th century, R. & H. Green became part of a ship repairing partnership called R. and H. Green and Silley Weir.
It was the chairman of the firm, John Silley, who was determined to provide homes for retired workers of the shipbuilding and repairing industries. John Silley was a committed Christian who contributed toward the YMCA and numerous other charities. Silley had already built some dwellings for his workers in Falmouth and chose the Isle of Dogs to build a series of dwellings.
Silley approached the Port of London Authority and persuaded them to give him 1.5 acres on the edge of the Mudchute in exchange for some land owned by his firm at Beckton. The firm then provided the money to build the flats and then handed them over to a trust – the Shipworkers Jubilee Housing Trust – which initially let the dwellings at 2s 6d per week. The scheme received a State housing subsidy, and Poplar Borough Council co-operated by charging a special inclusive figure for the costs of rates (at a nominal assessment of £3 per house), electric light, and water rates, so that these could be covered by the rent.
The crescent got its name because it was built-in the year of the Silver Jubilee of King George and Queen Mary. There are two reliefs of the King and Queen on the front of two houses in the crescent.
User unknown/public domain
Aste Street, E14 Aste Street is a short street which once connected the western ends of Roffey Street and Judkin Street. Au, E14 A street within the E14 postcode Baffin Way, E14 Baffin Way is one of the streets of London in the E14 postal area. Bf, E14 A street within the E14 postcode Blyth Close, E14 Blyth Close is one of the streets of London in the E14 postal area. Canary Wharf, E14 Canary Wharf is a location rather than a road but one which has addresses assigned to it. Castalia Square, E14 Castalia Square was the first part of the post-war St John’s Estate to be opened. Castalia Street, E14 Castalia Street was part of the Millwall Docks Station Estate, built in 1881-2. Cold Harbour, E14 Cold Harbour is one of the streets of London in the E14 postal area. Creek Road, SE10 Creek Road is one of the streets of London in the SE10 postal area. Friars Mead, E14 Friars Mead is one of the streets of London in the E14 postal area. Hickin Street, E14 Hickin Street was built in the 1950s replacing an area devastated during the Blitz. High Bridge, SE10 High Bridge is one of the streets of London in the SE10 postal area. Limeharbour, E14 Limeharbour is one of the streets of London in the E14 postal area. Nelson Road, SE10 Nelson Road is one of the streets of London in the SE10 postal area. Park Row, SE10 Park Row is one of the streets of London in the SE10 postal area. Pier Street, E14 Pier Street is one of the streets of London in the E14 postal area. Roan Street, SE10 Roan Street is one of the streets of London in the SE10 postal area. Wharf Road, E14 Wharf Road is now part of Ferry Road but had an independent history. Yabsley Street, E14 Yabsley Street was a rebuilt Russell Street which had existed before the Blackwall Tunnell was built.
This section of Poplar was developed as part of the Port of London in 1840s and 1850s by William Cubitt, Lord Mayor of London (1860–1862).
Cubitt Town lies on the eastern side of the Isle of Dogs. William Cubitt was responsible for the early housing which accommodated the growing population of dockworkers and shipbuilders.
Along with the housing, Cubitt also created many local businesses.
Bangladeshi and East Asian immigrant populations became established after the 1950s.
During the 1960s and 1970s, high-rise estates began to be built and during the 1990s and afterwards, the Canary Wharf
complex attracted a different mix of people.