Print-friendly version of this page
Chiswick House is a Palladian villa in Burlington Lane
, Chiswick, in the London Borough of Hounslow in England. Set in , the house was completed in 1729 during the reign of George II and designed by Lord Burlington...
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Annandale Road, W4 Annandale House, a house on this site, gave its name to Annandale Road. Ashbourne Grove, W4 Ashbourne Grove is the first of a series of road names in alphabetical order. Balfern Grove, W4 Balfern Grove is claimed by the local historical society as one of the least imaginative approaches to road naming in Chiswick. Belmont Road, W4 Belmont Road was named after Belmont House, once a private school. Burlington Lane, W4 Richard Boyle, 3rd Earl of Burlington was the builder of Chiswick House - its park adjacent to the road. Eastbury Grove, W4 Eastbury Grove links four other streets beginning with letters A to D: Ashbourne Grove, Balfern Grove, Cornwall Grove and Dorchester Grove. Edensor Road, W4 Edensor Road is named after a Derbyshire village owned by the Cavendish family who owned the land the road was built upon. Foster Road, W4 Lady Elizabeth Foster, the 5th Duke of Devonshire’s mistress, later became his wife. Hogarth Lane, W4 William Hogarth is buried in the parish church, and his house, now a museum, is in the road. Paxton Road, W4 The 6th Duke of Devonshire’s gardener was Sir Joseph Paxton, the designer of the Crystal Palace. Staveley Road, W4 Staveley Road was the site of the first V2 rocket landing on London. Sutherland Road, W4 Harriet, Duchess of Sutherland, lived in Chiswick House in the 19th century. The Terrace, SW13 The Terrace is one of the streets of London in the SW13 postal area.
Kew Green is a large open space owned by the Crown Estate and extending to about thirty acres.
The northern, eastern and southwestern sides of the Green are largely residential with some pubs, restaurants, and the Herbarium Library. To the north of the Green is Kew Bridge and the South Circular Road leading from the bridge runs across the Green, dividing it into a large western part and a smaller eastern part.
At the south end is St Anne’s Church and at the west end of the Green is Elizabeth Gate, one of the two main entrances into Kew Gardens.
A large triangular space, Kew Green is mentioned in a Parliamentary Survey of Richmond taken in 1649. Kew Green became notable as a venue for cricket in the 1730s and a parcel of land at the edge of the Green was enclosed by George IV in the 1820s.
Near the northeast corner of Kew Green is Kew Pond, originally thought to have been fed from a creek of the tidal Thames. During high tides, sluice gates are opened to allow river water to fill the pond via an underground channel.