Beehive Lane, IG4

Road in/near Gants Hill

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.57897 0.059, 51.578 0.059) 

Beehive Lane, IG4

MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502021Remove markers
Road · Gants Hill · IG4 ·
November
13
2017

Beehive Lane is a road in the IG4 postcode area




NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Gants Hill Gants Hill is an area of Ilford within the London Borough of Redbridge, 15 km northeast of Charing Cross.

NEARBY STREETS
Ambleside Gardens, IG4 Ambleside Gardens is a road in the IG4 postcode area
Avery Gardens, IG2 Avery Gardens is a road in the IG2 postcode area
Beechwood Gardens, IG2 Beechwood Gardens is a road in the IG2 postcode area
Beechwood Gardens, IG5 Beechwood Gardens is a road in the IG5 postcode area
Brantwood Gardens, IG4 Brantwood Gardens is a road in the IG4 postcode area
Castleview Gardens, IG1 Castleview Gardens is a road in the IG1 postcode area
Clarence Avenue, IG1 Clarence Avenue is a road in the IG1 postcode area
Clarence Avenue, IG2 Clarence Avenue is a road in the IG2 postcode area
College Gardens, IG4 A street within the IG4 postcode
Collinwood Gardens, IG5 Collinwood Gardens is a road in the IG5 postcode area
Crombie Close, IG4 Crombie Close is a road in the IG4 postcode area
Danehurst Gardens, IG4 Danehurst Gardens is a road in the IG4 postcode area
Ellesmere Gardens, IG4 Ellesmere Gardens is a road in the IG4 postcode area
Ethelbert Gardens, IG2 Ethelbert Gardens is a road in the IG2 postcode area
Florence Root House, IG4 A street within the IG4 postcode
Frinton Mews, IG2 Frinton Mews is a road in the IG2 postcode area
Glenwood Gardens, IG2 Glenwood Gardens is a road in the IG2 postcode area
Gosford Gardens, IG4 Gosford Gardens is a road in the IG4 postcode area
Grangeway Gardens, IG4 Grangeway Gardens is a road in the IG4 postcode area
Grasmere Gardens, IG4 Grasmere Gardens is a road in the IG4 postcode area
Hedgewood Gardens, IG5 Hedgewood Gardens is a road in the IG5 postcode area
High View Parade, IG4 A street within the IG4 postcode
Highcliffe Gardens, IG4 Highcliffe Gardens is a road in the IG4 postcode area
Highwood Gardens, IG5 Highwood Gardens is a road in the IG5 postcode area
Imperial Chambers 10-17, IG2 A street within the IG2 postcode
Inglehurst Gardens, IG4 Inglehurst Gardens is a road in the IG4 postcode area
Keswick Gardens, IG4 Keswick Gardens is a road in the IG4 postcode area
Limewood Court, IG4 A street within the IG4 postcode
Lindale Close, IG4 Lindale Close is a road in the IG4 postcode area
Panfield Mews, IG2 Panfield Mews is a road in the IG2 postcode area
Radnor Crescent, IG4 Radnor Crescent is a road in the IG4 postcode area
Redbridge Lane East, IG4 Redbridge Lane East is a road in the IG4 postcode area
Redbridge Lane Eastreet, IG4 A street within the IG4 postcode
Redbridge Lane West, IG4 Redbridge Lane West is a road in the IG4 postcode area
Ridgeway Gardens, IG4 Ridgeway Gardens is a road in the IG4 postcode area
Roll Gardens, IG2 Roll Gardens is a road in the IG2 postcode area
Seven Ways Parade, IG2 A street within the IG2 postcode
Somersby Gardens, IG4 Somersby Gardens is a road in the IG4 postcode area
Sussex Close, IG4 Sussex Close is a road in the IG4 postcode area
The Crescent, IG2 The Crescent is a road in the IG2 postcode area
Windermere Gardens, IG4 Windermere Gardens is a road in the IG4 postcode area
Woodford Avenue, IG2 Woodford Avenue is a road in the IG2 postcode area
Woodforoad Avenue, IG4 A street within the IG4 postcode
Wychwood Gardens, IG5 Wychwood Gardens is a road in the IG5 postcode area
Wycombe Road, IG2 Wycombe Road is a road in the IG4 postcode area
Wycombe Road, IG2 Wycombe Road is a road in the IG2 postcode area


Gants Hill

Gants Hill is an area of Ilford within the London Borough of Redbridge, 15 km northeast of Charing Cross.

The name ’Gants Hill’ may derive from the le Gant family, stewards of Barking Abbey, who were originally from the Ghent area (’Gand’ in French). The name ’Gantesgrave’ appears in records from 1291.

The area was remote farmland until after the First World War.

The government had begun to provide funds to subsidise public housing. The Corporation of London proposed an estate of 2000 cottages between Cranbrook Road and Horns Road but abandoned the project before it was even half way complete.

After the Eastern Avevue was carved through the site in the mid 1920s, a developer - Charles Lord - bought the abandoned Corporation of London site and largely completed the scheme. Especially profitable for him was the conversion of properties that faced the Eastern Avenue into shops.

The focus for the new area was the Gants Hill roundabout. Largely retail, the The art deco Savoy cinema was built in 1934 (but demolished in 2003) between the Eastern Avenue and Perth Road. The latter was the main road of the Commonwealth Estate in which the roads are named after cities of the then British Empire - Aden, Auckland, Colombo, Melbourne, Quebec, Toronto and Perth.

The rest of Gants Hill was urbanised in the 1930s. Valentines Park was created between Gants Hill and nearby Ilford.

[caption id="attachment_3197" align="alignleft" width="300"]<a href="http://www.theundergroundmap.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/2020-07-23-11.53.27-1.jpg"><img class="size-medium wp-image-3197" src="http://www.theundergroundmap.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/2020-07-23-11.53.27-1-300x224.jpg" alt="" width="300" height="224" /></a> Gants Hill station site (1938)[/caption]

Gants Hill station opened on the Central line in 1947. It was designed by Charles Holden in a very distinctive style. The London Passenger Transport Board had provided advice on the Moscow Metro contruction. Gants Hill was constructed in a similar design.

The station took its name from the Gants Hill roundabout, the ticket hall being directly underneath the roundabout. During planning, the names ’Ilford North’ and ’Cranbrook’ were considered for the station.

The Central line was proposed to be extended as part of the 1935–40 ’New Works’ programme. A new underground section between Leytonstone and Newbury Park was constructed before the Second World War but building came to a halt in June 1940. During the war, the station itself was used as an air raid shelter. The unused tunnels between the station and Redbridge were used as a munitions factory for Plessey. Construction resumed after the war ended and Gants Hill station opened on 14 December 1947.


LOCAL PHOTOS

Print-friendly version of this page