Abridge is a village on the River Roding in Essex.
Abridge takes its name from the brick bridge over the River Roding, which is situated just to the north of the modern centre, on the road to Theydon Bois.Licence:
On the Saxton's Map of Essex, 1576, it is marked as Heybridge. The boundary of the Conservation Area includes the historic core of the village which is evident on the Chapman and Andre Map of 1777.
Originally in the parish of Lambourne, Holy Trinity Church was built in 1836; before this, parishioners had to walk three miles to Lambourne Church by a footpath.
Listed buildings include the Blue Boar Inn (early 19th century), the group of medieval buildings that form the Roding Restaurant, the 18th-century house immediately northeast of the restaurant, Roding House (late medieval), River Cottage in Ongar Road, and the Maltsters Arms (18th century).
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence