Benton Road, IG2
Road is in an area which may have existed since the nineteenth century or before. Mainly Edwardian housing
Print-friendly version of this page
Barkingside is a district in northern Ilford.
Barkingside is mainly known for the children’s charity Barnardo’s - founded there in 1866. One of the oldest buildings in Barkingside is the Barnardo’s chapel.
The Holy Trinity Church dates from 1840.
Barkingside station originally opened in 1903 as part of a Great Eastern Railway branch line - the ’Fairlop Loop’ - from Woodford to Ilford via Hainault. The railway service was partially designed to stimulate suburban growth. The Great Eastern Railway became in 1923 part of the London & North Eastern Railway.
As part of the 1935–1940 ’New Works Programme’, the majority of the loop was to be transferred to form part of the Central line. Electrified Central line passenger services finally started in 1948.
Barkingside is ethnically diverse district but particularly notable for a high concentration of London’s Jewish population.