Mayplace Road East, DA7
Road in/near Barnehurst, existing between the 1750s and now
Print-friendly version of this page Mayplace Road East
was an old lane leading east from Barnehurst.
In 1750 Miles Barne inherited a large estate: May Place.
’Barnehurst’ was an artificial name created for the local railway station from the family name. The area was previously agricultural - a mix of market gardens, orchards and woodland. A settlement was concentrated along Mayplace Road. Only with the electrification of the railway in 1926 did the large housing developments of the 1920s and 1930s start to appear.
In 1926, the developer W H Wedlock Ltd started to build on the site of Mayplace Farm and based on Oakwood Drive
W H Wedlock Ltd developed the ’Mayplace Estate’ between Erith Road
and Barnehurst Avenue
only after 1932 as the underlying land was more difficult to develop.
The Barne family finally disposed of May Place in 1938, selling it to Crayford Urban District Council for £24,500.
Mayplace Road East (1900)
User unknown/public domain
Martens Avenue, DA7 Martens Avenue was built on the site of Springfield House in the immediate post-war era. Oakwood Drive, DA7 Oakwood Drive was formed as part of the ’Mayplace Farm’ estate built by W H Wedlock Ltd. Risedale Road, DA7 Risedale Road was one of a series of ’Lake District’ roads build in 1929.
The name of Barnehurst is derived from the name of the landowner family and the Saxon word for woodland: ’hurst’.
In 1745, Miles Barne the son of a wealthy London merchant married Elizabeth Elwick the heiress to May Place and inherited the estate in 1750. The family owned May Place until 1938 when it was sold to the local council.
The name Barnehurst came into being once a station had been proposed in Conduit Wood for the Bexley Heath Railway Company on their 1895 railway. It crossed the May Place Estate, then owned by Colonel Frederick Barne. At that time the area now known as Barnehurst was part of the Parish of Crayford, consisting of a mix of farmland and market gardens, with cherry, apple and plum orchards, with wood and parkland belonging to the estates of May Place, Martens Grove and Oakwood. The small population was concentrated along and to the south of Mayplace Road.
At first, the railway failed to attract large scale house developers - passenger numbers were small only boosted at weekends by golfers travelling to the new Barnehurst Golf Course opened in 1903. Its club house the old mansion of May Place was destroyed by fire in 1959. The electrification of the Bexleyheath Line in 1926 signalled the start of the large housing developments of the 1920s and 1930s.