Bullman Close, DA7

Road in/near Barnehurst

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  ·  MAPS  ·  STREETS  BLOG ()
(51.462009 0.154009, 51.462 0.154) 
MAP YEAR:175018001810182018301860190019502022Show map without markers
ZOOM:14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 18 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 18
TIP: Adjust the MAP YEAR and ZOOM to tweak historical maps
Road · Barnehurst · DA7 ·
November
30
2017

Bullman Close is a road in the DA7 postcode area





Click here to explore another London street
We now have 507 completed street histories and 46993 partial histories
Find streets or residential blocks within the M25 by clicking STREETS


CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE LOCALITY

Comment
Andrew MacFarlane   
Added: 25 Nov 2020 11:22 GMT   

my time at Mayplace road school
started at mayplace in 1938 the teachers were Mr English headmaster Miss Clark,Bress,and miss Black
I lived 200 yards from the school

Reply

LATEST LONDON-WIDE CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE PROJECT

Comment
Richard Lake   
Added: 28 Sep 2022 09:37 GMT   

Trade Union Official
John William Lake snr moved with his family to 22 De Laune Street in 1936. He was the London Branch Secretary for the Street Masons, Paviours and Road Makers Union. He had previously lived in Orange St now Copperfield St Southwark but had been forced to move because the landlord didn’t like him working from home and said it broke his lease.
John William snr died in 1940. His son John William Lake jnr also became a stone mason and at the end of World War two he was responsible for the engraving of the dates of WW2 onto the Cenotaph in Whitehall.

Reply
Lived here
Julie   
Added: 22 Sep 2022 18:30 GMT   

Well Walk, NW3 (1817 - 1818)
The home of Benthy, the Postman, with whom poet John Keats and his brother Tom lodged from early 1817 to Dec., 1818. They occupied the first floor up. Here Tom died Dec. 1, 1818. It was next door to the Welles Tavern then called ’The Green Man’."

From collected papers and photos re: No. 1 Well Walk at the library of Harvard University.

Source: No. 1, Well Walk, Hampstead. | HOLLIS for

Reply
Comment
   
Added: 4 Sep 2022 15:42 GMT   

Superman 2
I worked here in 1977. The scene in the prison laundry in Superman 2 was filmed here.

Reply

TUM   
Added: 27 Aug 2022 10:22 GMT   

The Underground Map
Michael Faraday successfully demonstrated the first electrical transformer at the Royal Institute, London.

Reply

Admin   
Added: 26 Aug 2022 15:19 GMT   

Bus makes a leap
A number 78 double-decker bus driven by Albert Gunter was forced to jump an accidentally opening Tower Bridge.

He was awarded a £10 bonus.

Reply

Admin   
Added: 26 Aug 2022 12:44 GMT   

The world’s first underground train
The very first underground train left Paddington on the new Metropolitan Railway bound for Farringdon Street.

Reply

Admin   
Added: 26 Aug 2022 12:41 GMT   

Baker Street
Baker Street station opened on the Metropolitan Railway - the world’s first underground line.

Reply

Admin   
Added: 26 Aug 2022 12:17 GMT   

TV comes to Olympia
Over 7000 people queued to see the first high definition television pictures on sets at the Olympia Radio Show. The pictures were transmitted by the BBC from Alexandra Palace, introduced by Leslie Mitchell, their first announcer.

Reply

NEARBY STREETS
Appleton Close, DA7 A street within the DA7 postcode
Barnehurst Road, DA7 Barnehurst Road was previously called Hills and Holes Road.
Bowness Road, DA7 Bowness Road is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Brantwood Road, DA7 Brantwood Road is a 1920s road in the Barnehurst area.
Briarfield Close, DA7 Briarfield Close is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Brindley Close, DA7 Brindley Close is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Brummel Close, DA7 Brummel Close is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Chapel Road, DA7 Chapel Road is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Chieveley Parade, DA7 A street within the DA7 postcode
Epsom Close, DA7 Epsom Close is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Erith Road, DA7 Erith Road is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Garrard Close, DA7 Garrard Close is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Hornbeam Lane, DA7 Hornbeam Lane provides access to the car park of Barnehurst station.
Lane End, DA7 Lane End is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Lavernock Road, DA7 Lavernock Road is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Lingwood, DA7 Lingwood is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Lyndhurst Close, DA7 Lyndhurst Close is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Lyndhurst Road, DA7 Lyndhurst Road was developed by W H Wedlock Ltd., builders.
Mason Close, DA7 Mason Close is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Mayplace Close, DA7 Mayplace Close is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Mera Drive, DA7 Mera Drive is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Midfield Parade, DA7 Midfield Parade was named as it was situated in the former middle field of the local farm.
Miller Close, DA7 Miller Close is a road in the DA7 postcode area
North Street, DA7 North Street is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Palmar Crescent, DA7 Palmar Crescent is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Pelham Road, DA7 Pelham Road is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Pinnacle Hill North, DA7 Pinnacle Hill North is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Randolph Close, DA7 Randolph Close is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Risedale Road, DA7 Risedale Road was one of a series of ’Lake District’ roads build in 1929.
Rudland Road, DA7 Rudland Road is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Silverdale Road, DA7 Silverdale Road is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Springfield Road, DA7 Springfield Road is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Stonefield Close, DA7 Stonefield Close is a road in the DA7 postcode area
The Chase, DA7 The Chase is a road in the DA7 postcode area
The Vyne, DA7 A street within the DA7 postcode
Three Corners, DA7 Three Corners is a road in the DA7 postcode area
Woolwich Road, DA7 Woolwich Road is a road in the DA6 postcode area
Woolwich Road, DA7 Woolwich Road is a road in the DA7 postcode area

NEARBY PUBS
Jolly Millers This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Red Barn This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Travellers Home This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.


Click here to explore another London street
We now have 507 completed street histories and 46993 partial histories
Find streets or residential blocks within the M25 by clicking STREETS


Barnehurst

The name of Barnehurst is derived from the name of the landowner family and the Saxon word for woodland: ’hurst’.

In 1745, Miles Barne the son of a wealthy London merchant married Elizabeth Elwick the heiress to May Place and inherited the estate in 1750. The family owned May Place until 1938 when it was sold to the local council.

The name Barnehurst came into being once a station had been proposed in Conduit Wood for the Bexley Heath Railway Company on their 1895 railway. It crossed the May Place Estate, then owned by Colonel Frederick Barne. At that time the area now known as Barnehurst was part of the Parish of Crayford, consisting of a mix of farmland and market gardens, with cherry, apple and plum orchards, with wood and parkland belonging to the estates of May Place, Martens Grove and Oakwood. The small population was concentrated along and to the south of Mayplace Road.

At first, the railway failed to attract large scale house developers - passenger numbers were small only boosted at weekends by golfers travelling to the new Barnehurst Golf Course opened in 1903. Its club house the old mansion of May Place was destroyed by fire in 1959. The electrification of the Bexleyheath Line in 1926 signalled the start of the large housing developments of the 1920s and 1930s.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Click here to see map view of nearby Creative Commons images
Click here to see Creative Commons images near to this postcode
Click here to see Creative Commons images tagged with this road (if applicable)
Martens Avenue, Barnehurst (1934)
TUM image id: 1557161730
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Mayplace Road East (1900)
TUM image id: 1574088030
Licence: CC BY 2.0

In the neighbourhood...

Click an image below for a better view...
Trolley bus at Erith Road bus depot (1935)
Licence:


Martens Avenue, Barnehurst (1934)
Credit: Ideal Homes
Licence: CC BY 2.0


Courtleet Bottom, Erith Road, Barnehurst (1934)
Licence: CC BY 2.0


Old Road, Martens Grove, Barnehurst (1934)
Credit: Ideal Homes
Licence: CC BY 2.0


Barnehurst Road before development was known as Hills and Holes Road. It was renamed to be Barnehurst Road in 1926. Prior to this it was little more than a country lane, but its proximity to the new railway station made it prime land for housing development.
Credit: Bexley Archives
Licence:


Bexleyheath Bus Depot opened in time to serve the new trolley buses, operational from 1935
Licence: CC BY 2.0


Print-friendly version of this page

  Contact us · Copyright policy · Privacy policy